PDA

View Full Version : 92' vert' $1,800 worth it? (daily drivin & drift)

henessi
04-21-2004, 10:00 PM
Ok guys, I finally found a 240! It's a 92 convertible in moderate condition. The only things mest up are little like door panels and missing inside window gaskets. I know that the vert is about 100lbs heavier than a standard coupe and that the chassis is known not to be as rigid but can this be serious enough to effect drifting or performance? I would have a custom rollcage made and a manual sr20 black top so not to worry about the tranny part :naughty: What do you think?

thank you soooo much for helping and i know the question about convertible rigidy has been asked but i never read a definitive answer about whether it would effect the cars performance.

nissantuner22
04-21-2004, 10:45 PM
if its a convertible,that means its an auto. not sure if that affects your decision, just letting you know.

DuffMan
04-21-2004, 10:55 PM
I think it would rock ;)

ledzeppelin240
04-22-2004, 12:41 AM
Isnt '94 the only year the convertables were made????Thats what I have been believing for the last year...

oberkill
04-22-2004, 12:44 AM
Isnt '94 the only year the convertables were made????Thats what I have been believing for the last year...

No there were convertables other years as well but in 94 you could only get convertables. I am not positive when the convertables first came out but I think it was 91 or 92. Someone else can verify that! lol

Alan

Salty_X
04-22-2004, 01:45 AM
Convertibles were available from 92 to 94.

I know because it's a convertible it's easy to think that the car will weeble wobble like crazy, but it's still a production car. Nissan actually put a lot of extra pieces into the convertible to stiffen up the chasis, so it shouldn't be horribly bad.
With the power from the SR there will be no need to worry about the weight issue, and the rollcage may or may not be really neccessary. It'd probably be better to wait on it, get the motor in there and take it out for a spin. If you don't like the feeling you can always put it in...

henessi
04-22-2004, 09:45 AM
thanks for your input guys (thanks for addressing the chassis/weight issue salty ;) ) I think i could go with the vert' I live in south MS so it shouldnt really be a problem

andrave
04-22-2004, 10:42 AM
there are so many undercarriage braces for the S13 chassis, you should have no problem stiffening it up.
1800 bucks is a good price for a vert in decent shape. Check that the top works ok tho, they are expensive to repair.

Var
04-22-2004, 02:21 PM
I dont think they'll let you on the track without a rollcage in a vert

mistaanime
04-22-2004, 03:37 PM
heh..be nice.get to have a conversion...heh

AlexAtPerformanceNissan
04-22-2004, 05:14 PM
I would take the vert to a welder and have the frame spot welded here and there, most people who get really serious about rigidity and suspension go all out like this. This would help a lot....Try searching old posts on fresh alloy about stiffening up the coupe, i remember seeing a diagram of the coupe and where to add support. Cool stuff. Good Luck with you vert, enjoy.

-Alex B. :rawk:

henessi
04-22-2004, 06:00 PM
thanks for the help guys, I'm pickin up the vert tomarrow! :naughtyd: s13...here i come :boink:

Mr. Foully
04-22-2004, 11:07 PM
A convertible will never be as structurally sound as a closed car unless you add AT LEAST a 6 point cage. But the fun of a convert makes it worth it.

$1800 sounds like a steal.

davidae86
04-24-2004, 10:00 AM
the convertible were not built by nissan. the body was taken into an American company that chopped it up and and put in the power top motor. if you look into the trim panels and rear windows of the vert, you will see a hacked job. i worked on them and have taken the car apart to know. The car do have additional structural pieces welded on, but still it cant compare to the coupe or fastback. The chassis is still relatively weak. My friend drove up a driveway at an angle and the front strut tower bar snapped off, leaving the ends still on the car, this shows that the chassis flex easily and a good amount. Celica convertibles are made here as well.

weitau
06-03-2004, 09:19 PM
Ugh! that sounds awful! My 'vert has 148k miles on it, and the top has problems closing. Check on the top hindge bolts! these little suckers cost $75 each to replace from Nissan.

NismoSilvia270R
06-04-2004, 10:18 PM
straight up steal. get it man. id be very very jealous

DJ_Sunrise
06-05-2004, 10:43 AM
your gonna need a lotta chassis braces.. strut tower bars, do lucks new mid frame brace will help a bit, plus you should get the front and rear chassis braces.. cant remember who makes them, but ive seen them..maybe drill some pieces onto the under carriage.. id imagine if the cars gonna bend, its gonna happen mostly long ways...

~Sunrise

sciamop
06-05-2004, 06:58 PM
the convertible were not built by nissan. the body was taken into an American company that chopped it up and and put in the power top motor... Celica convertibles are made here as well.

I believe you are referring to ASC. I had a Celica convertible -- the structural rigidity of the body was somewhere between Jell-O(tm) and Vasoline(tm). If the original poster is going to be building a track car, I'd skip it or learn how to weld!

Todd
90 Coupe
93 Coupe