PDA

View Full Version : MSD 96 vs 1000cc ID injectors ?

Jake1992
04-29-2013, 08:42 AM
As i am finishing off my build this summer,
im still missing some bits and bytes...

Injectors.

I will be using an Power Fc D-jetro ecu,
but still debating what injectors to use.
My main concern is computability with the ecu and tuning,
as ive heard people say that the ID's have a much smoother idle.
The fuel rail i would be using is Mazworx custom rail 14mm-60mm.

Thanks !

Croustibat
04-29-2013, 09:09 AM
ID 1000s are based on EV14 bosch injectors.

Basically the reason why any EV14 based injector is good (when correctly assembled, and matched) is simple : it is a modern injector, unlike most tomei, sard and other crappy 20 year old nismo ones.

It has low latency for its size (around 830µs), and quite a good spray. That and it is a high impedance type, which means you need to remove the dropping resistor if you have one. At the time our engines were built, all we had were low impedance injectors because no high impedance big injectors existed. And it would have been fine, if we also had low impedance injector drivers (aka peak & hold) ... which we didnt. So we have peak & hold injectors, commanded by a saturated driver, and some resistor packs on the line to have the injectors "work like" they were high impedance. Which basically sucks, because the driver is not meant to open big peak and hold injectors, thus taking a lot of time to open the injectors, and them pushing too much current in them when they are finally open. It sucks even more when our ECUs go from sequential to full group injector commands, because then our injectors are commanded open twice per cycle.

Anyway, TL;DR version:

EV14 based injectors rule, so get some. ID makes them, FIC makes them, fiveO makes them, and probably a lot of other companies carries them, and they clearly are worth it (i am using a set ATM) .

MSD 96lbs injectors are clearly crap (they are based on delphis, which sucks) so stay away from them.

Jake1992
05-06-2013, 01:22 AM
Thanks for info !

jr_ss
05-06-2013, 05:22 AM
ID injectors all the way, much newer tech.

If you did stay with sidefeed injectors, Sards are the way to go. They are a Denso type 2 injector and Tomei/Nismo are type 1 injectors. The type 2 injectors have a better spray pattern and larger coil windings. This helps them achieve better atomizing and more precise control at low and high injector pulse widths.