PDA

View Full Version : SR20 red top poor idle and misfire

89hatchman
04-28-2013, 08:16 PM
I have an SR20det red top in my S13 hatch.

The problem I'm having is poor idle, sometimes its high, sometimes it'll drop down and die when coasting to a stop.

The other problem is that it misfires below half throttle. When I'm cruising with less than half throttle it'll buck like a mofo. The moment I put my foot to the floor though it smooths out.

Megin
04-28-2013, 09:06 PM
Had a similar problem with my blacktop. It probably is that you get a normal/high rev while idling, while the engine is cold, but it drops down after engine gets warmer and eventually the engine stalls when you depress the clutch, if you don't keep your foot on the gas pedal, a little. Also tries to buck at lower rpms if you take your foot of the clutch too early/fast

Changed the ignitor chip as mine was dead due to revered polarity on the battery (Worst mistake of my life, spent way too much trying to figure it out...)
Cleaning the MAF sorted it out (for now), but it still likes to dip down when I rev it up and get my foot off the pedal, still, it hasn't stalled.

I'd say check your MAF/TPS/IACV/Ignitor and Spark Plugs. Doesn't hurt to overdo when it comes to checking possible problems.

Also check if you are running rich.

Now to find my parasitic drain... -_-

89hatchman
04-28-2013, 10:20 PM
Had a similar problem with my blacktop. It probably is that you get a normal/high rev while idling, while the engine is cold, but it drops down after engine gets warmer and eventually the engine stalls when you depress the clutch, if you don't keep your foot on the gas pedal, a little. Also tries to buck at lower rpms if you take your foot of the clutch too early/fast

Changed the ignitor chip as mine was dead due to revered polarity on the battery (Worst mistake of my life, spent way too much trying to figure it out...)
Cleaning the MAF sorted it out (for now), but it still likes to dip down when I rev it up and get my foot off the pedal, still, it hasn't stalled.

I'd say check your MAF/TPS/IACV/Ignitor and Spark Plugs. Doesn't hurt to overdo when it comes to checking possible problems.

Also check if you are running rich.

Now to find my parasitic drain... -_-

the idle is weird. It was at 1500 when I first put the engine in the car. Then it started misfiring at idle and at anything less than half throttle. I turned the IACV screw down and now it idles at 1000 when it idles. But for the most part it misfires and stumbles around 600 rpms.

Megin
04-28-2013, 10:29 PM
Tps/maf and boost leak test. Also, don't forget to check your plugs

89hatchman
04-28-2013, 10:42 PM
Tps/maf and boost leak test. Also, don't forget to check your plugs

how do I actually go about testing the TPS and MAF or a boost leak test? My plugs are brand new. NGK's

Megin
04-28-2013, 10:50 PM
There are lots of topics on those. For MAF, what I did was simply un plug it when the car got warm enough so that the idle was fluctuating, and see if it had any effects, and then went on with cleaning it. Iirc you have to measure the current of the plug and harness when it comes to the tps.

s14classified
04-30-2013, 07:53 AM
I have an SR20det red top in my S13 hatch.

The problem I'm having is poor idle, sometimes its high, sometimes it'll drop down and die when coasting to a stop.

The other problem is that it misfires below half throttle. When I'm cruising with less than half throttle it'll buck like a mofo. The moment I put my foot to the floor though it smooths out.

Recirculate ur bov if it is open. I just gat through fixing this issue that presisted for 6 months on my red top.