PDA

View Full Version : Front Right Wheel Shaking 30-40mph

Dreyvius
04-23-2013, 08:08 PM
92 240sx and mods related to the issue = on 17s, KYB Gab 8 way adjustable shocks, Tien lowering springs and has Tien Tension rods. The front passenger side wheel shakes inbetween 30 - 40 mph only when going straight, and if i let it go without moving the steering wheel it will almost feel like its about to lift that side of the car up and is very visible to other drivers and obviously dangerous, friend said he saw the the wheel shaking but i probably need tyo get someone better to look at it or video record it, if i turn the wheel to make the car start to turn a little it stops, if i go past 40 it stops, and if i slow down under 30 it stops. Previous owner said he nailed a curb hard so something is damaged. I lifted the front end up and shook everything around and nothing feels loose, and nothing looks damaged. The steering wheel is off center and there is a little play in it around the center. So i have been thinking its something in the steering parts, but i dunno much about it or how to diagnose it, also possibly the rim is bent, and to check that the plot thickens, that wheel is the only wheel with a different set of lugs on it that are different than the rest and i have no key for it :( I can see that both the rims on the passenger side have been roughed up a bit, i think maybe when he hit something he blew both tires out on the passenger side. Any ideas or advice please, need any info or pics just ask and i will deliver. I'm stuck in a small town with only a few shops and looking to make a long trip to move from West Texas to Tampa Florida in a month and I need to get the 240 ready to handle the trip. I do have a 89 stock 240 for spare parts.

Alamo_City_210
04-23-2013, 08:45 PM
get that rimoff somehow and swap it with your driver side. if it doesnt wobble or shake, it may be the rim itself. Does it happen during braking? It may be a warped rotor. somthing is bent/loose/worn bushing. keep looking, and you will soon find it.

jamg
04-23-2013, 08:47 PM
jack up the front of your car

sit down, and shake the fuk out of that wheel

lbkid180sx
04-23-2013, 09:28 PM
wheel bearing ??

Dreyvius
04-23-2013, 10:07 PM
EDITED where's the damn delete button for this fail reply
lol

Dreyvius
04-23-2013, 10:10 PM
jack up the front of your car

sit down, and shake the fuk out of that wheel

I went crazy on it, felt fine for what i could figure out, nothing odd

Dreyvius
04-23-2013, 10:10 PM
wheel bearing ??

how would i figure it out if it is?

Dreyvius
04-23-2013, 10:11 PM
get that rimoff somehow and swap it with your driver side. if it doesnt wobble or shake, it may be the rim itself. Does it happen during braking? It may be a warped rotor. somthing is bent/loose/worn bushing. keep looking, and you will soon find it.

stops instantly when i brake, ill try to get the wheel off, i have help coming tomorrow to get the damn locking lugs i dont have the key for

LvBoost
04-23-2013, 11:59 PM
Could it be a tie rod? I had the same problem way back in my last car and it was an outer tie rod.

jamrome918
04-24-2013, 12:18 AM
Jack the front up, wiggle your rims, see where there's movement, and try to source it. put your wheel straight thencwiggle , then turn it all the way to the left and wiggle and to the right. make sure to wiggle left to right , up and down & inside out. but yeah it can either be your strut , ball joint or your wheel bearing. Wheel bearing is in the spindle. Remove the cap on the hub that looks like a boob (screw driver & hammer) . It could be shot out, it's a 20 year old car with over 200k miles. Goodluck

G-kan
04-24-2013, 12:46 AM
I had the same problem too but my problem was the lower control arm ball joint. It gave me the death shake where my wheel shakes like it is about to literally come off. But if it's not the ball joint for you then it is probably wheel bearing or inner and outer tie rods.

Dreyvius
04-24-2013, 01:57 AM
thank you guys for all the replies, hopefully i figure it out tomorrow.

Dreyvius
04-24-2013, 06:09 PM
ok so... got the locking lugs i had no key for off and got the tire off and had it balanced, it was off balance, got it back on and still got the same shake going on around 30-40 mph :( i shook everything around with the wheel on and off, did it with it turned to the left and to the right, i know that the bushings need to be replaced, and it looked like possibly the arm for the steering may be bent a little. other than that i cant see anything obviously damaged...so where can i get the all the bushings (hopefully thats what they are called) just because they need to be replaced? Other than that i got to check the wheel bearing or start replacing stuff till it goes away. Tomorrow, if its not the wheel bearing, im gonna have someone drive next to me to see what its doing and video record it

Dreyvius
04-24-2013, 06:11 PM
I had the same problem too but my problem was the lower control arm ball joint. It gave me the death shake where my wheel shakes like it is about to literally come off. But if it's not the ball joint for you then it is probably wheel bearing or inner and outer tie rods.

How did you diagnose that it was the ball joint, was it just visually obvious? First time for me to handle something like this.

Dreyvius
04-24-2013, 06:12 PM
Jack the front up, wiggle your rims, see where there's movement, and try to source it. put your wheel straight thencwiggle , then turn it all the way to the left and wiggle and to the right. make sure to wiggle left to right , up and down & inside out. but yeah it can either be your strut , ball joint or your wheel bearing. Wheel bearing is in the spindle. Remove the cap on the hub that looks like a boob (screw driver & hammer) . It could be shot out, it's a 20 year old car with over 200k miles. Goodluck

yeah the chassis has 260k+ miles so i wouldn't be surprised. When i pop it off what should i look for to make it obvious that's where the problem is?

Dreyvius
04-24-2013, 06:13 PM
Could it be a tie rod? I had the same problem way back in my last car and it was an outer tie rod.

Tie rod would be visually obviously damaged right?

LvBoost
04-24-2013, 06:28 PM
Tie rod would be visually obviously damaged right?

Not really, best way to check is get the wheel off the ground and put your hands on 3 and 9 o'clock or however you wanna call it and push it left and right vigorously and you should notice a bit of play if its the outer tie rod. If you take out the tie rod the end of it should move around with little to no effort if its gone bad.

Sent from my LG-C800 using Tapatalk 2

jamrome918
04-24-2013, 06:32 PM
It may actually be your tension rod, the tension rod is what keeps the control arm in place if the bushing is out its going to wobble and shake left to right. Make sure you check that first before you start taking things apart

Dreyvius
04-24-2013, 07:48 PM
It may actually be your tension rod, the tension rod is what keeps the control arm in place if the bushing is out its going to wobble and shake left to right. Make sure you check that first before you start taking things apart

yeah i agree, its not shaking abnormally when i got the front end jacked up but maybe there's more to the story. I'll be back tomorrow with what i find out. I can see that the bushing are worn out for sure.should be back tomorrow with pics and a video

Dreyvius
04-24-2013, 07:54 PM
Not really, best way to check is get the wheel off the ground and put your hands on 3 and 9 o'clock or however you wanna call it and push it left and right vigorously and you should notice a bit of play if its the outer tie rod. If you take out the tie rod the end of it should move around with little to no effort if its gone bad.

Sent from my LG-C800 using Tapatalk 2

ok kool thank you lots. Gonna be checking it tomorrow. I'll be back to let you know what i find. Should have a vid of the shaking in action just for fun, its kinda scary