PDA

View Full Version : Car cranks but won't turn over, help =(

SD_Kouki
04-21-2013, 09:45 PM
It all started because my right rear signal light would stay on anytime the car is on, won't blink, and my hazard lights won't work either. So I went to autozone, looked under the steering column, disconnected what I believe was the flasher relay, went inside autozone, didn't find what I needed, went back to my car and plugged it back in. After I plugged it back in, I started the car, drove about a half mile and then the car died on me. The engine, all electrical, totally killed out. Luckily I was able to pull to the side of the street.

First had to diagnose why nothing electrical was working because when I would turn the key, NOTHING would happen. No sound, no clicks, no crank. Walked a half mile back to autozone, got me another 30A ignition switch relay, put it in, tada. Engine cranked, electrical worked and car turned over.......for 10 seconds. Engine died again.

By now I'm thinking it has to be something fuel related. Engine was cranking and sounded healthy at it, but just would not turn over. I then walked a half mile back to autozone to get a egi pump relay and a fuel pump relay (got both because I wasn't sure which one to get). The 15A fuel pump relay that was in there originally was burned though so I was almost certain that was the issue. Put the new relays in. Tada...cranked and turned over....for 10 seconds. Engine died again.

Checked the fuel pump fuse after this again, wasn't blown this time. Is it possible that the multiple times I was trying to crank it when it first didn't start could have damaged the fuel pump itself? I really don't know what it could be. Car was running strong and healthy before I messed with the relay under the steering column. Could it have blown these relays because I did not disconnect the battery beforehand?

Anyways, I bought a new fuel pump from autozone, going to try and install it tomorrow to see if that fixes the problem. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has any ideas on what's going on here. Any help would be appreciated :hs:

1993 s13 hatch, ka24de 115k miles.

LB 180SX
04-21-2013, 09:48 PM
check to make sure the fuel pump turns on. (you can hear it) .. it may be your ignition starter switch if you say you were messing under the steering column.

SD_Kouki
04-21-2013, 09:52 PM
I don't hear any fuel pump humm when I turn the key to the 'ON' position. And do you think it's the starter even though the car did turn over twice after I messed with the stuff under the steering column? Thanks for the quick reply!

SD_Kouki
04-21-2013, 09:53 PM
And after I swapped in a new 15A fuel pump relay, the car did turn over for about 10 seconds...then died. If the fuel pump was bad wouldn't it have not even turned over?

ultimateirving
04-21-2013, 10:51 PM
If ur still up. Try this.
Remove the fuel pump fuse. Try cranking car but don't give it any throttle.

Also have you verified spark ? You have some janky ass wiring going on and who knows what else is shorted out.

SD_Kouki
04-21-2013, 11:38 PM
If ur still up. Try this.
Remove the fuel pump fuse. Try cranking car but don't give it any throttle.

Also have you verified spark ? You have some janky ass wiring going on and who knows what else is shorted out.
Just did that, still cranks but doesn't turn over. I looked at the fuel pump fuses closer and realized both of the new ones I've tried are burned up. The metal in the middle is black and appears broken. Could it be something electrical in the fuel pump is blown and causing the fuses to burn every time I crank it?

I attempted to check the spark plugs for sparks...but me being the noob I am held a screwdriver tip to the spark plug wire instead of down the hole to the spark plug...told my friend to crank it and on the first one I did it sparked and shocked me. I then tried the other three but they didn't spark like the first one did, so I tried the first one again and then that one didn't spark either. Didn't find out I was holding the screwdriver to the wire and not the actual spark plug until after....I know, im an idiot. Could this have messed up the distributor as well?

LB 180SX
04-22-2013, 04:47 PM
if its the starter you would hear a clicking sounds coming from the starter.. try starting the car on and holding they key all the way and see if it fires up that way . or does it just crank for a long time??

SD_Kouki
04-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Don't think I mentioned this but when the car FIRST died on me, I noticed it was a 30A fuse in the fuel pump fuse slot, instead of a 15A that should be there. So when I noticed it was blown, I put in three brand new 15A fuses, one after another, and it blew all of them. Of course, as soon as I put a 30A back in there, it cranks and starts. I hear the fuel pump priming beforehand and everything.

Any ideas what it could be? I also unplugged the fuel pump, stuck a 15A fuse in the socket and cranked it a couple times to see if it would blow the fuse without the fuel pump being plugged in. It didn't bow the fuse, cranked it three times. Leaning more towards it being a bad fuel pump?

T0fuman
04-25-2013, 04:12 PM
So where are we at on this? Did you fix your problem? Are you saying with a 15A fuze it wont start but with a 30A one it does?

SD_Kouki
04-25-2013, 08:05 PM
So where are we at on this? Did you fix your problem? Are you saying with a 15A fuze it wont start but with a 30A one it does?
I started a new thread because I seem to have narrowed down my issue and know a bit more info. Mods close this thread plz. Tofu if you can check my new thread that'd be great man. Thanks

ivantheterribl3
04-25-2013, 08:24 PM
Youve got a short to ground, homey. Start tracing wires in whatever circuits are blowing fuses. Guarantee it.