PDA

View Full Version : Still dominating Street Mod

AceInHole
04-19-2004, 10:18 AM
Finally got to run at a REAL autocross!! Having missed the first New England Regional (NER) points event, I'm starting the season at a handicap. Made up for it this weekend by showing how much both the car and the driver have improved!!!

On saturday there was a non- points event, where I was 2 seconds ahead of the next place car in my class. Then on Sunday i repeated the same class result, and also managed to get myself to the 11th spot on the overall PAX list (in NER that's a big accomplishment)!!!

The car handled BEAUTIFULLY. Ran the T25 at 8.5psi and it was already too much power for the short course on the NHIS parking lot. I probably could've gotten more power to the ground with a quaife diff, as the VLSD was NOT distributing the power as well as I would have liked. Having 4 deg or so (by eyeball measurement) doesn't help much either... i have to fix that before the next event, so I can start climbing higher into the PAX listing.
The D2 coilovers ROCKED. Almost nil body roll, and I had front and rear wheel lift through some corners (gonna try to fix that by extending the mounts and lowering the spring perches a bit).

VIDEO (please "save target as") in DiVX format:
http://www.engr.uconn.edu/~corrales/carsIM/autox/NER_event1/

Runs of both my co-driver and I are up there. My co-driver is only a "sophomore" autocrosser, so he's still learning the tricks of the trade. I'm using the video to help show him what's wrong with his line, etc. I can't wait 'till I'm eligible to be an instructor :D

HaLo!! Get your ass down here for an event!! All the other 240's in the area are DEADed. I was the only one running on Sunday!

HaLo
04-19-2004, 11:04 AM
Hey Ace!! I know I need to go down there!! But my car isn't ready yet... Had so many problems recently, I might get it this week.

I still haven't received my tires, decided to go with Yokohama A032R for contingency and other issues.

I am a bit short for money right now and I do have 2 events in may... But i do what to slip by in may, maybe june!! Don't worry, I will pass by!

the240sxer95
04-19-2004, 11:06 AM
dude thats totally good news :)

i am "---" close to just getting the d2's and not going with works :( no updates at all d'stage s4 dampers and sway bars

HaLo
04-19-2004, 11:32 AM
Damn, you're really quick on that course!!! I'm not even close to that... I think!

AceInHole
04-19-2004, 11:59 AM
I still had problems getting on the throttle early out of corners. The combination of a weak VLSD and excessive rear camber hurt my acceleration. I REALLY wanted to drop into the 32's on that course (my best was a 33.24 on my last run)... and I think a better set up rear end plus me not screwing up the inside turnaround would've done it. I think the ideal time would have actually been a mid 31 for a street mod car. Getting closer to that :p

I'm wondering what to replace my victoracers with next, too. I think I might stagger and get some z32 TT wheels for the back. Run 265 V700's in back and 245's in front, although Ideally I'd just run the 255 wide hoosiers on all 4 corners :D

HaLo
04-19-2004, 12:32 PM
I honestly have to say that you are one quick panda ... ;)

I look forward to seeing you run with my bare eyes. I'm a lone 240sx driver too here, and I'm not as quick as that... I'm starting my spphomore year too! I still have a lot to learn. I can't hardly wait for the season to start.

You guys are lucky to start in April... We start in may... and the season doesn't fully kick in before july.

I'm seeing that the D2 coilovers look very stiff.. What spring rates are you running on them? How would you compare them to your previous setup... I was thinking about them too... But I have to make a decision... Coilovers or more suspension goodies (anti-sway bars, nismo powerbrace, ladder bars, roll bar)...

AceInHole
04-19-2004, 12:35 PM
the D2's i'm running have 9kg springs in front and 7kg springs in back. they're paired up with whiteline sways and STBs front and rear. i also have adjustable RUCAs and TC rods. poly bushings should be in before the next event :p

Compared to my last setup, these are unfathomably better!!! I go through the slalom sections like they're nothing, as weight transfer happens so fast! The car is much more predictable going from full throttle to full braking back to full throttle (as is seen coming off the inside turn-around). All in all, they're DEFINITELY worth the money!

Anyways... Is it normal for my front tire to lift during hard cornering?? And my co-driver drives like a pansy. i need to fix that....

240KAT
04-19-2004, 12:57 PM
how would you compare the D2's to Tein HE's? I picked up a set of HE's for 1000, so I couldnt pass up on that. I'm new to autox, but I'm looking to get into it heavy this and next season. My current set up is
91 Hicas SR, all bolt ons, no cams, t25, 11-12psi (might go to HKS actuator instead of Greddy EBC), HE's, Tein Tension and tierods. I might be getting a set of 16x7 +36 and 16x8 +36 rims..ideas on tires? I was thinking Azenis or BFG KD since I'll still be daily driving.

AceInHole
04-19-2004, 01:02 PM
how would you compare the D2's to Tein HE's? I picked up a set of HE's for 1000, so I couldnt pass up on that. I'm new to autox, but I'm looking to get into it heavy this and next season. My current set up is
91 Hicas SR, all bolt ons, no cams, t25, 11-12psi (might go to HKS actuator instead of Greddy EBC), HE's, Tein Tension and tierods. I might be getting a set of 16x7 +36 and 16x8 +36 rims..ideas on tires? I was thinking Azenis or BFG KD since I'll still be daily driving.
I've never driven on Tein HE's so I can't say. I know one of the local members used Tein HE's on his Subaru and won Nationals with them (in STX). The springrates on my car are supposedly stiffer, though.

Between the tires listed, go with Azenis. Ultimately, you might want to look into getting a set of race wheels to put R compound tires on.

HaLo
04-19-2004, 01:03 PM
Dammit PJ!! You tempt me... espacially that another group-buy of those are going around... I currently have AGX+GC setup with 425/375 (7.5/6.7) springs... I like my setup, but I don't "love" it either... I would love more travel on my shocks. But I still need sway bars. I'm having a friend in Japan source me some used Cusco adjustables.. Then I'll think about coilovers and one Bride Brix. :)

Your car doesn't have any body roll... it's incredible. And you seem to be able to control it at high revs. I wish I could do that. :(

AceInHole
04-19-2004, 01:11 PM
Dammit PJ!! You tempt me... espacially that another group-buy of those are going around... I currently have AGX+GC setup with 425/375 (7.5/6.7) springs... I like my setup, but I don't "love" it either... I would love more travel on my shocks. But I still need sway bars. I'm having a friend in Japan source me some used Cusco adjustables.. Then I'll think about coilovers and one Bride Brix. :)
the Civic that came in 2nd had GC's on adjustable Tokicos :p If you can get down here for an event before the GB is over you can compare my car's ride to yours.

Your car doesn't have any body roll... it's incredible. And you seem to be able to control it at high revs. I wish I could do that. :(
There's body roll, but I think most of it is tires :) The high RPM control was something I really wanted to work on over winter. I'm running a WRX BOV now that's been recirc'ed almost directly into the intake pipe, so there's very little recirculation hose. The BOV comes right off the hot pipe so that it's venting where the most pressure is coming from, hopefully reciculating ALL of the air the compressor needs to draw in. It seems to work great so far.

The big deal now is to fix the rear camber and maybe get a Quaife diff. I don't really trust the KAAZ too much, as I don't want to ruin the neutral handling of the car or make it more unpredictable by a diff that doesn't engage/ disengage smoothly.

HaLo
04-19-2004, 01:14 PM
True on the diff... I'll try getting an S15 diff on my side. I don't want a clutch-type differential.

I'll try to make it down on May 29-30 event in Devens. I really can't before that, unfortunately. I'll be bringing down my R tires and maybe my GF to have fun watching. She's taking up Auto-X this year with her Supra. :)

HaLo
04-19-2004, 01:16 PM
Oh, and by the way, I'm happy to see that the new 240sx is rolling. I heard bad things from my friend Matt (Krash on B15Sentra.net) happen to your diff going to the last event. ;)

AceInHole
04-19-2004, 01:26 PM
Oh, and by the way, I'm happy to see that the new 240sx is rolling. I heard bad things from my friend Matt (Krash on B15Sentra.net) happen to your diff going to the last event. ;)

yup. pulled an all nighter to try to get the J30 VLSD coupling into the S14 housing. that didn't work so I plopped a spare in. the spare blew a seal, lost all it's oil, and blew up :mad:

HaLo
04-19-2004, 01:31 PM
Cars... Can't live with them can't live without them. :)

I had all my problems with Master cylinders... had to replace clutch and brake and I was so dumb i put back in another 240sx one when I got the Q45 brake upgrade.

I also have to install Axxis Ultimates... Can't wait to try them out... I actually can't wait to get my car back from the body shop. :(

Bbandit
04-19-2004, 01:42 PM
good god PJ, I didnt see a single oversteer/understeer in all of your runs...
what tires did you use again? azenis?
the panda looks like its running on railroad track...
I doubt my t3 super 60 will be responsive as your t25...
we'll see..

HaLo
04-19-2004, 01:43 PM
He's running V700 Victoracers IIRC. Great tires.

AceInHole
04-19-2004, 01:53 PM
good god PJ, I didnt see a single oversteer/understeer in all of your runs...
what tires did you use again? azenis?
the panda looks like its running on railroad track...
I doubt my t3 super 60 will be responsive as your t25...
we'll see..
My friend is running an SSautochrome SR manifold reflanged on both sides, with a T3 turbo and a 60A/R compressor housing. His turbo spools a good second later than mine...... really makes me glad I bought the T25. I'm gonna try a T28 soon, though.

The understeer/ oversteer was mostly fixed the previous day during a non-points event through camber settings. The rear could still be a bit better, but for the most part, I understeered once on run 5 braking too late going into the inside turnaround, and had a little throttle- on oversteer at the finish on a few runs. My co-driver is too pansy to push the car hard enough to break traction :p Actually, I bet I could've pushed a bit more. The only time it got really hairy was on run 6 going to the outer part of the track on the right hand side, and it wasn't even that bad. I'll try to push a little harder next time :D I LOVE this car!!!!!

Steeles
04-19-2004, 02:24 PM
damn Ace sounds like you had alot of fun! I wish our Autocrosses were larger than they are last time I went to a local one we got 3 runs. :( but eh still fun sounds like your getting the suspension and the driver dialed in right keep up tehe good work!

hurleyboi514
04-19-2004, 06:57 PM
nice, great job!! the last few events ive done has gone well... a first, second, and a third in DSP thus far. i need to switch suspensions, hopefully to GC's and Koni's. the RSR Race springs are good, just not competative. and im still learning the Victo racers, they are quite different than the Azenis i ran all last year. and third, i need to get that HLSD put in. i should be able to cut a second or two with that diff!! ill actually be able to power out of corners finally! other than that, i dont have much else i can do is DSP. i may do a cage, and i may still do an ECU and some head work. that way ill still be legal for DSP.

AceInHole
04-19-2004, 08:23 PM
Nice job! The victoracers at least don't have as steep of a learning curve as the hoosiers... but JMCN and I had to take out an instructor a few times to really learn the "ropes".

ANyways, results from the weekend are up!
http://www.ner.org/soloII/2004schedsolo.html
check out the April 17 and 18 events! I'm 11th in PAX and RAW overall. I was also the fastest "street" car in raw times, and only 1 non-street car was faster in PAX :P On the overall PAX standings I beat a few National Champs :D

DuffMan
04-19-2004, 09:10 PM
I know one of the local members used Tein HE's on his Subaru and won Nationals with them (in STX).

I dont think tein makes a HE for subarus?

AceInHole
04-19-2004, 09:28 PM
I dont think tein makes a HE for subarus?
hmm... maybe he had something else, but I swear I saw HE on his mod list. Unfortunately it isn't up on his site, rallydecals.com, anymore.

hurleyboi514
04-19-2004, 10:57 PM
STX national competetor Tom Hoppe uses modified Tein HA's... they did an article on him and his car in grassroots once. he was at the Michelin March of Dimes Autocross that was like 3 weeks ago, the same event i won DSP in...

Bbandit
04-19-2004, 11:38 PM
man all this talk about autocrosses... cant wait till weekend..
we (tamscc.org) are having an autocross this weekend... it'll be a fast and long one (around 1~2miles long, thanks to the abandoned landing strip).
you guys should caravan down here and autocross ;p

Equinox
04-19-2004, 11:45 PM
They allow "aftermarket" forced induction into your street mod class? All the events I've been to, any time you touch boost whether it's upping boost, adding turbo, upgrading turbo, etc, you are automatically place into the modified class.

AceInHole
04-20-2004, 07:56 AM
They allow "aftermarket" forced induction into your street mod class? All the events I've been to, any time you touch boost whether it's upping boost, adding turbo, upgrading turbo, etc, you are automatically place into the modified class.

If your club follows SCCA guidelines, they should pick up a rulebook. :p Street Mod = unlimited engine modification using a long block within the same Manufacturer.

MovinUp-1
04-20-2004, 09:17 AM
Car looks good, Ace. I noticed some rear wheel hop in the corners. Might want to play with your rear rebound settings.

AceInHole
04-20-2004, 09:42 AM
Car looks good, Ace. I noticed some rear wheel hop in the corners. Might want to play with your rear rebound settings.

Cool. i'll try to work on it and maybe turn damping up a notch. I'm wondering if it's the subframe bushings as well... might go for solid mounts.

HaLo
04-22-2004, 07:11 AM
Ace, do you know any cheap hotels in your area? My GF and I are coming down for the may 29-30th event... :)

AceInHole
04-22-2004, 03:47 PM
Ace, do you know any cheap hotels in your area? My GF and I are coming down for the may 29-30th event... :)

The Devens site has a few motels around it, although I'm not quite sure what the names are. I might actually drive up to NH from the event on the 29th and stay at a friend's place....

HaLo
04-22-2004, 04:27 PM
What's the difference between the may 29th event and may 30th?

AceInHole
04-22-2004, 06:57 PM
What's the difference between the may 29th event and may 30th?

the saturday event looks like it will be a non-points event.... the sunday event for points. should be a lot more runs on sat.

HaLo
04-22-2004, 07:46 PM
I don't think I'll be able to be there saturday... I hope so though..

AceInHole
05-02-2004, 09:59 PM
Just got back from the May 2nd event.... took a bad loss to a Civic that I should've beaten easily. I just couldn't hold my line without hitting a cone, and snagged at least 1 on 4 of my 6 runs. :( Did 2 clean runs where I just let off and stayed clear of the cones, but over did it on both and ended up with a 2nd place finish. I had ONE decent run that might've gotten me a sure first place finish, but the timing lights were screwed up so the run wasn't timed, and I had to re-run it (and hit a cone on the last turn). Went from 11th overall to like 53rd.... so... I've got a crap load of catching up to do to get the season points lead.....

Next event HaLo should be there :p So, hopefully you can help me out and beat the Civic, buying me some breathing room :D None of the other local guys seem capable of getting within the 1 - 2 seconds of me (on a 30 second course, next event is a 60+ sec. course, so we're looking at a 2 - 4 second margin) to place in front of that Civic.....

HaLo
05-02-2004, 10:23 PM
I won't be able to attend saturday's event, but I'll be at sunday's event... and hopefully, I will try to live up to your expectations... but don't forget, I just a 2nd year freshmen. ;)

hurleyboi514
05-03-2004, 01:47 PM
i had a Divisional event... i got my ass handed to me by some little Fiat's. one Fiat is a former national champion (4 times), another Fiat is a national competitor (old guys, lots of experience), an old Grand Am on brand new S0-4 hoosiers (245's!!), and a Neon from my region that sneaked in ahead of me. those little fiats were deadly fast though. they weigh like 1,900 lbs! :eek2: being a former national champion helps too :) but out of 10 cars, i was 5th. i would have liked a better result, but this is only my third year of autoxing, those guys have been doing it for 5+ years. plus, my front suspension was giving me hell. i got my coilovers (ground controls), now i just need to get my koni's. i think i may order them today...

also, i forgot to mention it was in the rain, heavy rain. that was my first rain event! it was pretty cool! driving in the rain isnt so bad, i kinda liked it.

okashira
05-03-2004, 02:35 PM
I still had problems getting on the throttle early out of corners. The combination of a weak VLSD and excessive rear camber hurt my acceleration. I REALLY wanted to drop into the 32's on that course (my best was a 33.24 on my last run)... and I think a better set up rear end plus me not screwing up the inside turnaround would've done it. I think the ideal time would have actually been a mid 31 for a street mod car. Getting closer to that :p

I'm wondering what to replace my victoracers with next, too. I think I might stagger and get some z32 TT wheels for the back. Run 265 V700's in back and 245's in front, although Ideally I'd just run the 255 wide hoosiers on all 4 corners :D

get the car corner weighted. the only reason im saying this is because it looks like in the videos you have the car raked forward (lower in the front)
s14s are already front heavy to begin with, with the car raked forward like that its even worse. couple that with stiff low suspenstion for very little weight transfer = very poor traction

AceInHole
05-03-2004, 04:13 PM
already lifted the front end to level out the lca's. car was perfect this past weekend.... even though I wasn't.

HaLo
05-03-2004, 04:30 PM
I can't wait to see you driving Ace... You seem one hell of a driver...

DuffMan
05-03-2004, 06:15 PM
i had a Divisional event... i got my ass handed to me by some little Fiat's. one Fiat is a former national champion (4 times), another Fiat is a national competitor (old guys, lots of experience), an old Grand Am on brand new S0-4 hoosiers (245's!!), and a Neon from my region that sneaked in ahead of me. those little fiats were deadly fast though. they weigh like 1,900 lbs! :eek2:

Those cars are legal for SM? Or was this a different class?

AceInHole
05-03-2004, 08:10 PM
I can't wait to see you driving Ace... You seem one hell of a driver...
Thanks man...

The words I kept hearing all day were something like "hey those were fast runs!!! You looked really good out there............ except for the cones." :ugh:

Next event I've gotta get some dirt off my shoulder...

hurleyboi514
05-03-2004, 08:23 PM
Those cars are legal for SM? Or was this a different class?

D-Street Prepared, DSP. im with SE-R's, 240sx's, Neons, some old tiny Fiat's, GS-R's, 3 series BMW's, '99 Si's. IS300's, Eclipses, and 2.5 RS's...

HaLo
05-03-2004, 08:48 PM
DSP must be VERY hard to compete in...

I know my class is hard, but DSP is one hell of a class... about anything in it... and some fast cars..

DuffMan
05-03-2004, 09:01 PM
Yeah DSP must be hard.

hurleyboi514
05-03-2004, 09:58 PM
yah its pretty tough, i actually think that a KA-T, or SR in SM would be more competative than a properly modded DSP car... i cant hang with those fiats, they are just way to light. but DSP is a good class to modify the car by, so thats what i was doing. autox isnt everything though, i still enjoy it, plus it gives me a challenge. once i revise the front suspension, and get that helical diff in, i should be a little more competative...

AceInHole
05-03-2004, 10:24 PM
yah its pretty tough, i actually think that a KA-T, or SR in SM would be more competative than a properly modded DSP car... i cant hang with those fiats, they are just way to light. but DSP is a good class to modify the car by, so thats what i was doing. autox isnt everything though, i still enjoy it, plus it gives me a challenge. once i revise the front suspension, and get that helical diff in, i should be a little more competative...
Yup. The weight restrictions in SM keep the cars a bit more evenly matched. Thankfully the addition of a turbo gives us the opportunity to match a supercharged/ turbocharged M3's power to weight ratio.... getting the grip is a different story, though.

DSP is tough to build for because the power costs more to get... even though the same modifications are allowed in SM, they aren't necessary, since we can just up the boost.

HaLo
05-03-2004, 11:28 PM
I know I wouldn't want to run in DSP with my 240sx... Subaru 2.5RS are killers in that class...