PDA

View Full Version : Planning S13 Fastback w/ SR Swap (Questions)

BlazedGlory
04-18-2004, 10:17 PM
I currently own a 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R SpecV. I have plans to buy a '91-'93 240sx fastback and then sell my SE-R in the near future. The problem is I just don't know exactly what I am getting into right now, and I want to make sure I do before I actually make this move.

My goal is to save enough money to purchase the 240 before I sell my other car. Then I will sell the other car, hopefully make 2-4k after paying off the remainder of the loan, and buy an SR20DET. After that I will slowly build up the car as funds permit.

Now, keep in mind that this is going to be my daily driver. Is it possible to do this project and maintain reliability? Obviously after I get the actual swap done, I am going to want to increase power. Here is where everything is the most shady to me at this point.

What are the different "stages" one might do to increase power on an SR20? For example, the engine in my current car, the QR25DE, has very weak rods. On the stock internals people are getting approximately 280hp/250tq at the wheels running a turbo about 6-7psi safely. Much more than that and the rods will more than likely go. Replace the rods and one might get up to 325-350hp or so. One guy has new pistons/rods and has a sleeved block and is running about 400 whp. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. How much hp could I get out of the engine safely by just slapping a bigger turbo on it (and obviously probably getting new fuel system/injectors and whatnot)? What if I decided to do something like new internals?

Please keep in mind that this will be daily driven, and I plan on keeping it as cost-effective as possible, but I would like it to be pretty damn fast. I'm tired of being beat up on by muscle cars and whatnot. But this will ultimately be an all-around road car, not just for drag...

I'm sorry if I missed this sort of information in searching, or if there is some sort of article somewhere that explains these sorts of things, it would be greatly appreciated if you could link me to it...

Thanks in advance!

FastBack 240
04-18-2004, 10:35 PM
Three things u must always keep in mind. Cheap, Fast, and Reliable. Choose 2 cause you cant have all three.

BlazedGlory
04-19-2004, 09:16 AM
how about if I rank them:

1) Reliable

But 2 & 3 are really a tie for me right now because I really can't decide how fast I want to make it before I know how cheap I can do what with. I think I'd basically like to do a basic build up on the stock internals preferably (if that would be reliable) with a larger turbo and whatever else I would need to support that (ie injectors, etc)...what kind of hp could I get out of that and what kind of money would I be looking at there?

With such a light car, I'm sure 300whp would let me put a pretty good whompin' on some folks, and I've heard that the stock internals can handle over 400hp...but I don't know what's truth and what would actually be reliable on this engine...

Yoshi
04-19-2004, 10:34 AM
okay, power is directly inversely related to reliability.
Oh, and there's no way in hell I'd want a 400whp daily driver, that would just suck. You'd end up having a seriously buff left leg from the stiff ass clutch you'd be using, and you'd have to be stupid careful not to spin out at every turn you make when it's raining. IMHO over around 300 or so in a daily driver is ridiculous (with an open or vlsd anyhow).

If you've got the car and 3-4G's to get it going, and you're not installing the engine yourself, figure on HOPEFULLY getting hte car in working condition with the SR for that much (we're talking nearly entirely stock), and little else, always have at least 1k of "oh $hit" money, that's a standing rule, ask anyone :)

BlazedGlory
04-19-2004, 11:00 AM
well, could I build it up pretty good but turn the boost down for daily driving?

steve shadows
04-19-2004, 11:03 AM
summer time, custom fab, free tuning with project, rpsport.net

-steve (im baaaack) :mrmeph: :hammer: :eek2: