PDA

View Full Version : S14 sr20det problem Please read

getsideways147
04-12-2013, 08:52 AM
I got my s14 with the VCT sr about 2 weeks ago. I'm having the fuel problems as well. But that's not what this is about. The night I got it I started to drive it home , the oil light flickered and went away. I shut it off and let it sit. Then I started it about 15 min later it was fine. Made it 15 miles and the car started to shake for maybe 3 sec, I pulled over oil light came on at that time. I shut it off and sat for 2 hours tell I got towed home. I did try to start it and it was knocking very loud at the top end. VCT gear is what the knock sounds like. I ordered this VCT gear. On the way it will be here Friday.

I changed the oil. It didn't have and chunks or shavings in it.

Oil pump "looks" brand new if it new idk.

What do I do? Where do I start? I'm on a very tight budget. I would rather not take it all apart but I will it's just going to take me time to fix it

bc.
04-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Did you have enough oil in it? How much drained out?

Also, if you are on a tight budget, you may have picked the wrong hobby....

fliprayzin240sx
04-12-2013, 09:22 AM
Do you have an oil pressure gauge to verify that you are getting oil? Thats the first thing I would check for. The dash light is pretty much a dummy sensor. When it turns on, its bad juju for your engine.

getsideways147
04-12-2013, 10:03 AM
3.5 qrts drained out judicious it should have. It's only got the stock dash light no gauge. And im willing to put money into it it's just going to take time to do that.

getsideways147
04-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Just like it should have*

bc.
04-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Gauge could be busted, but I would be cautious of making that assumption.

getsideways147
04-13-2013, 08:00 AM
I'm going it install a oil gauge before i try and start it again

getsideways147
04-23-2013, 12:34 PM
well I charged the bat. and started it oil pres. is good. still knocks. I got the new vct gear put it in timing is right but going back together I'm a dumb sh*t and broke the timing chain tensioner. so now I'm waiting tell Thursday to get a new one. just keeping you all posted. any input is nice!

Mikester
04-23-2013, 01:36 PM
if you are on a tight budget, you may have picked the wrong hobby....

^^This

3.5 qrts drained out

Where did the rest of it go?

I have never heard of the VVT gear 'knocking' but I'm not an S14 guru either. If I were you, I'd start saving foir a full rebuild. Even if it doesn't come to that, it will be nice to know you have the money should it happen. I don't think a VVT malfunction would cause your oil pressure to drop dangerously low- but again, I'm not certain about that.

If your budget is uber tight- you could part the car out and prolly make back more than you paid for it.

Not trying to sway you one way or the other- just putting out some practical options (Like a nice, dependable Civic lol)

getsideways147
04-23-2013, 02:04 PM
I have another car to daily this thing can sit. I'm not getting a fwd car lol. I paid 3200 when it was running .I'm not giving up on the car .I'm not that kind of person. I don't care how much money it takes, it's just going to take time to get the money. but like I ask to everyone any input helps so thanks.

look on YouTube sr20det vct gear knocking or vct gear problem that's what is going on with my s14

getsideways147
04-23-2013, 02:07 PM
the loss of oil pres. was due to the car getting hot "running so f**king rich" oil thinned out light came on . oil cooler and filer relocate so I have more than 3.5 qts. and a tune I should be good and the rebuild is not a bad idea

getsideways147
04-23-2013, 02:08 PM
sr20 only holds 3.5qts