PDA

View Full Version : Sr20 red top

menace17
04-05-2013, 07:04 PM
So ive been looking on google and several other sites about the red top and i have a few questions that have undeclared answers that i hope you guys can help me with.

BTW i officially became one of you 30 March 2013 when i bought my running s13 coupe for 900 bucks. Very please with the car atm, although it needs alot of work to get it where i want it, I will not complain about it.

On to the questions.

1.) is the red top block weak ?
All that i have read just compares it to the other blocks and not the block its self. I know the bottom end is not that strong, but what about just the block?

2.) Fins on the head mean what, and what do they look like ?
I have read this is some kind of heat sink preventative, but i dont know what this means as far as a better or weaker engine ?

3.)Load of aftermarket stuff for red top ?
For example the later sr's are vvt so does that mean there are no cams and ect for the red tops ? Or do i just need to look harder and check with the seller before buying ?

4.) weaker trans ?
Again another endless thread of just compering it to other sr transmissions. Does this mean the Trans its self is weak or about as good as any other sr trans ?

I think thats all i have for now. Reason im looking at the red top is a few reasons. Its period correct to my car, im just odd like that. Another is Its cheaper than most black tops, and lastly its non vvt.

TIA

fliprayzin240sx
04-05-2013, 08:54 PM
On to the questions.

1.) is the red top block weak ?
All that i have read just compares it to the other blocks and not the block its self. I know the bottom end is not that strong, but what about just the block?
--All SR bottom end are basically the same. Nothing different block wise other than the extra oil port for the VTC on the S14/S15 Notchtop SRs.

2.) Fins on the head mean what, and what do they look like ?
I have read this is some kind of heat sink preventative, but i dont know what this means as far as a better or weaker engine ?
--Nothing, fins came on the blacktop S13 heads. Basically, if you look at the front of redtop S13 heads, its flat. S13 blacktops have a rectangular shape section that has vertical fins casted on the head.

3.)Load of aftermarket stuff for red top ?
For example the later sr's are vvt so does that mean there are no cams and ect for the red tops ? Or do i just need to look harder and check with the seller before buying ?
--All SR parts are interchangeable for the most part. Only difference is VTC cams are not as aggressive spec wise compared to S13 SRs. But most of the time, when you get to a certain power level, folks ditch the VTC and go S13 spec cams and sprocket since the VTC cams starts hindering power/dependability.

4.) weaker trans ?
Again another endless thread of just compering it to other sr transmissions. Does this mean the Trans its self is weak or about as good as any other sr trans ?
--S13, S14 SRs, CA18s all use the same 5 speed transmission. S15 Spec Rs came with 6 speed trannies

I think thats all i have for now. Reason im looking at the red top is a few reasons. Its period correct to my car, im just odd like that. Another is Its cheaper than most black tops, and lastly its non vvt.

TIA[/QUOTE]