PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic manifold coating with heat wrap?

Drift_FX
04-01-2013, 10:59 PM
so i have a very nice custom built manifold for my SR20. i noticed a little surface rust on the flange(engine hasnt run yet) so i decided i want to ceramic coat my manifold. whith that being said, i am very noobish on this kind of coating, and couldnt find the awnsers i was looking for by searching...

so my questions....

is there a good brand to buy that you can do this yourself? or should this be a shop only coating?

has anyone done a ceramic coating and wrapped their manifold as well? is there such a thing as holding in too much heat(ie. damaging turbo or O2 sensors)? will the wrap damage the coating or vice versa?

any shops you would reccomend in san diego to do this coating?

thanks in advace for help on this....

OrangeVirus1
04-01-2013, 11:04 PM
you're not gonna "hold in too much heat" if your exhaust gets hot enough to cook an 02 sensor, you've got bigger problems.

What I'd say to do is ceramic coat it, Wrap it in high temp wrap. and take some 2000* paint and paint the wrap very well.

jamg
04-01-2013, 11:06 PM
the whole point of wraps and heat sprays is to disperse heat across to other surface areas, thus lowering the temp of the manifold.

i personally used flameproof on my exhaust mani, and i plan on wrapping it after.

Mikester
04-02-2013, 06:09 AM
Send it to Jet-Hot. Jet-Hot Ceramic Coatings (http://www.jet-hot.com/)

Their turnaround time is about one week, cost about $150 for an SR mani. I got mine done in their ceramic 'polished' finish, and it came out great!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7221/7309161928_f5f74fd66f_b_d.jpg

^^This is the end result. I had beat on this manifold for 2+ yrs before sending it off to them, so I am sure you can imagine what it looked like prior.

PoorMans180SX
04-02-2013, 06:41 AM
the whole point of wraps and heat sprays is to disperse heat across to other surface areas, thus lowering the temp of the manifold.

i personally used flameproof on my exhaust mani, and i plan on wrapping it after.

No, it is not. The purpose is to keep the heat inside the exhaust manifold to help spool the turbo/lower engine bay temps.

Send it to Jet-Hot. Jet-Hot Ceramic Coatings (http://www.jet-hot.com/)

Their turnaround time is about one week, cost about $150 for an SR mani. I got mine done in their ceramic 'polished' finish, and it came out great!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7221/7309161928_f5f74fd66f_b_d.jpg

^^This is the end result. I had beat on this manifold for 2+ yrs before sending it off to them, so I am sure you can imagine what it looked like prior.

Yes, either Jet hot, or Swain Tech, turnaround time on the Swain Tech is similar, but they use a nice and thick plasma sprayed ceramic mixture that I think works a bit better than Jet Hot's, but doesn't look as cool.

Driftwire
04-02-2013, 07:33 AM
Jet hot has plenty of good reviews. I would send my parts to them and probably wrap it after it gets back.

Bigalow311
04-02-2013, 07:48 AM
There's a technique to wrapping the manifold. The whole wrap needs to be evenly spread around the surface and tight. Moreover, wrappings add a little more thickness to the mani which potentially interfere with space.

I'm sure that's not new information for the majority reading this thread. :cool:

Sent from my SC-03D

Drift_FX
04-02-2013, 08:21 AM
There's a technique to wrapping the manifold. The whole wrap needs to be evenly spread around the surface and tight. Moreover, wrappings add a little more thickness to the mani which potentially interfere with space.

I'm sure that's not new information for the majority reading this thread. :cool:

Sent from my SC-03D

yeah i have wrapped plenty of headers....

thanks for the help everyone... ill be sending mine off to jet hot for the 2000 degree black..... then wrap it when its back, then ceramic paint the wrap..... combine that with E85 and i should have nice and low engine bay temps.....

Mikester
04-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Jet-Hot + wrap may be overkill depending on your setup- but it certainly couldn't hurt=)