PDA

View Full Version : Tons of important questions!! (important to me)

Daniel
04-15-2004, 01:27 AM
Hi guys back again you were a great help before.

1. thanks for the deck suggestions, i havent had a chance to do it yet because im real busy but will get to it this weekend.

2. gona have my mechanic check on my car again for the slight shaking.

3. i have an aftermarket injen intake now, all it does is make a loud sound, i know i need to put other stuff headers/exhaust to feel the gain..... which leads to

4. I bought a test pipe. It is bolt on. simple enough really, bolt on, rebolt cat when i get smog test. Question is, someone recommended apexi dual n1 exhaust about a year ago to me. Why do i need a whole exhaust system? What will the difference be between that system and just putting the test pipe in and changing the muffler/tip? (the system is around 550 bucks and the test pipe + mufffler/tip total ends up costing me around 60).

5. I have ran my car fast on the freeway before, i have a that digital spedometer btw and wtf fucking shit maxes out at 110. Is the only way to get rid of the speed limiter to change the ecu completely or modify it? how much is it and how can i get it done (I have minor mechanical knowledge, do my own oil changes spark plugs starters simple stuff).

6. How the hell does everyone in california with a sr20det swap get their car smogged? The only options i know of is a friend who is a smogger person (and california has the new tougher smog test), or swapping license plates with a same model 240 thats junked? idono drive around illegally and steal a 2005 sticker and hope not to get caught?

7. When lowering my car do i need a camber correction kit? whats the safest amount of inches to lower before i need the correction kit?

8. How much is a sylvia headlight conversion (s13). The popup headlights are really ugly to me, especially when my mechanic tries to make them go back down and up and he cant get it to work and refers me to an electrician (my mechanic didnt charge me obviously) and says it gets pretty expensive for electrical work etc, he tested the motors and they work fine but cant figure out what is wrong with the wiring from my control in the dash to the actual headlight motors. And where can i get the sylvia headlight conversion done? Is it a few hundred bucks or more like $1k? I need to know not for pricing purposes but for timing purposes (later in the future = save more money :boink: )

9. my friend and i put in window tint on the passenger and driver windows, and the 2 little ones right behind those (1991 coupe 2 door). Took awhile with the smoothing out of creases, etc. the window tint i bought from kragen is too short for the back window!! :wtf: I have to cut off an extra piece which will look ugly up close but not far away (my friend has 5 strips on his back window in his integra). Is there a wider(length is fine, wide being from bottom to top) tint i can buy from pep boys or autozone or something?

Those are all my questions for now. Any help is appreciated... thanks!

:hug:

EDIT: Does the apexi dual n1 muffler come with a catalytic converter? If so is it a high-flow catalytic one? And if it doesnt come with one dont i have to put one in to pass california smog?

Salty_X
04-15-2004, 02:04 AM
4. If all you want is sound, get the muffler tip. If you want some actual horsepower gains go with an exhaust system. The problem with a muffler tip is that you're leaving the stock piping intact. Increasing the flow of exhaust gases makes some power for you, which is why aftermarket exhaust systems come with bigger piping.
As for the question you added, no, the N1 Dual doesn't come with a catalytic converter. None of them do.

5. 110 is fast enough for the freeway.
There is a way to disable it though... do a search.

6. You answered your own question: illegal hookups. Don't swap plates/vins/etc., and don't steal a registration sticker (come on now..), you'll be in even more trouble! If they catch you without the proper registration, you're immediately fucked. At least if you get the illegal smog and register it you'll have a 50/50 chance that you'll get busted for the SR.

8. The Silvia headlight conversion consists of a lot more than headlights, you'll need the whole damn front end, which is usually around $1000 and is a completely different color than your car (or multi-colored), which makes the car look retarded.

9. You might be able to get away with it by getting two pieces and putting them together with a seam at one of the defroster lines so it's not so conspicuous, but god damn, cheapness. If you're planning on spending big money on a SR and S13 Silvia front end, save up a couple hundred and get a professional tint job.

That's my $.10

Daniel
04-15-2004, 02:11 AM
thanks so much to you mr. salty:

4. I dont want just sound. But wouldnt putting in the test pipe for my cat increase the flow of exhaust drastically? How would this compare with the exhaust system? When i get the apexi dual n1 system, to smog it i have to get someone to put in a cat for me? that sucks.

5. I will search =). 110 is not fast enough with a stupid civic slowly going by me while my fuel cuts off for a few secs.

6. You answered your own question: illegal hookups.
-dont know anyone :sadwavey:

8. That sounds dumb then, what about those little sleepy eye lights. Any way I can do that myself? Those look interesting.

9. :wiggle: Yeah lol. That was one of the other options i was contemplating, to have the rear professionally done. But damn my friend and I spent so much time on the sides it seems incomplete not finishing the job. o well

Salty_X
04-15-2004, 02:31 AM

4. I dont want just sound. But wouldnt putting in the test pipe for my cat increase the flow of exhaust drastically? How would this compare with the exhaust system? When i get the apexi dual n1 system, to smog it i have to get someone to put in a cat for me? that sucks.

5. I will search =). 110 is not fast enough with a stupid civic slowly going by me while my fuel cuts off for a few secs.

6. You answered your own question: illegal hookups.
-dont know anyone :sadwavey:

8. That sounds dumb then, what about those little sleepy eye lights. Any way I can do that myself? Those look interesting.

9. :wiggle: Yeah lol. That was one of the other options i was contemplating, to have the rear professionally done. But damn my friend and I spent so much time on the sides it seems incomplete not finishing the job. o well
LOL, please don't call me "Mr." It makes me feel like an old man or something... I'm still a young'un, haha. :mepoke:

The test pipe will increase flow, this is true, but only in that small section. After the test pipe the flow will get restricted again by the stock piping.

I know the speed cut has something to do with the speed sensors on the transmission, but I don't know exactly how it's done so I don't want to give any wrong info and mess your shit up. All I know is that I don't have a speed limiter, probably because of the auto tranny. :hsdance:

The sleepy eye thing is easy stuff. You can either get the controller, or you can make your own switch. I made my own, but have no pictures yet (laziness). The custom one doesn't have some of the features that the manufactured one has, but then again it doesn't cost 100 bucks.

Daniel
04-15-2004, 02:43 AM
Ok, sir. :wiggle: jk

How do i add quotes??

you said after the test pipe flow will be restricted by stock piping... you mean before the test pipe, i.e. piping between test pipe and engine. And there IS a way to put a cat onto the apexi dual n1 system, question is with a cat will it pass smog?

"The sleepy eye thing is easy stuff. You can either get the controller, or you can make your own switch. I made my own, but have no pictures yet (laziness). The custom one doesn't have some of the features that the manufactured one has, but then again it doesn't cost 100 bucks."

plz explain if possible?? What controller and switch? I have the headlights and they pop up and down, but i saw someone with sleepy eyes, looks like he just somehow brought the headlights up more and set them in that position...

arent you happy you have auto :wtc:

btw if i get an sr20swap sometime in the far future, will you illegally smog it for me? :kiss:

why are you up so late?? its 1:42 am and i gota sleep to get up at 7 am so idono if i can see ur answer till tomorrow but thanks for all the info!

Salty_X
04-15-2004, 03:10 AM
you said after the test pipe flow will be restricted by stock piping... you mean before the test pipe, i.e. piping between test pipe and engine. And there IS a way to put a cat onto the apexi dual n1 system, question is with a cat will it pass smog?

"The sleepy eye thing is easy stuff. You can either get the controller, or you can make your own switch. I made my own, but have no pictures yet (laziness). The custom one doesn't have some of the features that the manufactured one has, but then again it doesn't cost 100 bucks."

plz explain if possible?? What controller and switch? I have the headlights and they pop up and down, but i saw someone with sleepy eyes, looks like he just somehow brought the headlights up more and set them in that position...

arent you happy you have auto :wtc:

btw if i get an sr20swap sometime in the far future, will you illegally smog it for me? :kiss:

why are you up so late?? its 1:42 am and i gota sleep to get up at 7 am so idono if i can see ur answer till tomorrow but thanks for all the info!
If I remember right (it's late), the exhaust flow is basically: exhaust manifold, downpipe, cat (interchangeable with the testpipe), and muffler (interchangeable with a cat-back system like an Apexi N1 dual). So, if you switch out the cat for a testpipe, that portion is enlarged for more flow, but then it gets restricted after by the stock muffler piping.
So, if you're worried about smog, take the testpipe off and replace it with the old (or a new) catalytic converter, sell the testpipe, and get an exhaust system. The cat is the last piece of smog equipment on the car, so any exhaust you get won't change whether you pass or not. If the motor is fairly stock you'll pass, even with an intake and exhaust you should still be able to pass.

There's a few writeups on the sleepy eye switch, but the jist of it is
1. Drop the plastic panels under the drivers side of the dash, it's held on by a few screws
2. Locate a wire attached to the headlight button in the dash, I believe it's green.
3. Cut the green wire and splice in some new "extension" wires using your method of choice (I used solder and heatshrink tubing).
4. Attach the ends of those two extended wires to a switch (basic on-off type, like a push-button or flippy type).
5. Mount the switch somewhere.
6. Test the switch by pushing the headlight button. The lights should go up. Now, if you press the headlight button again, the lights will go down. If you flip the custom switch while they're going down, it will stop the lights, and you have sleepy eye.
7. Put the dash pieces back on.

I hate having an auto :(

I have no illegal smog hookups, sorry.

I'm on spring break so no classes this week, nothing big to do tomorrow, and I'm bored. Yay me. :boink:

Yoshi
04-15-2004, 10:22 AM

You should get a hi-flow cat. Don't kill the already screwed atmosphere just that much more by using a test pipe (test pipes are almost always mild steel also, which means they don't last very long, hence "test pipe", they're intended for racing; ie. using it up and tossing it next race) :( Exhaust works on the weakest link, bigger is better until you get to about 2.5" for a n/a engine, 3"+ for turbo (depending on how much air you're moving around). Get the full exhaust (I dunno bout N1 dual tho...), make sure you have build plans set ahead of time tho... if you plan to go turbo, just wait on getting an exhaust til you do that first, you DO NOT want to put piping larger than 2.5" on the KA in it's N/A form, or be ready to get pulled over a lot.

Search, there are quite a few write ups. You can also just buy a control box.

PULL IT OFF WHILE YOU CAN! 99.9% of the time, home tint jobs last about a month (if that long) before bubbling/peeling/turning purple/cracking/etc. Seeing as you got Kragen, expect it to look like it. Tint should always be done professionally.

Oh yeah, it's SILVIA, not SYLVIA ;)
lest the JDM-mongers flame u! hehee

AlligatorBling
04-15-2004, 05:22 PM
this link may help with Q # 4

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscellaneous/exhausttheory.htm