PDA

View Full Version : Buying swapped 240sx help!

Tomekk
03-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Hey guys, I'm not all that familiar with the 350swap in the 240sx. I've been trying to find one for ages and found this one and it's complete with a 350 swap. Is there anything I should be concerned with or bother to look at this thing? He claims the engine and tranny have 1000 miles.
It's not finished seeing how it needs paint and all. But what do you think?

Here's the link

1989 240sx V8 Chevy Swap (http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/3662451003.html)

Here's it running

Nissan 240sx 350 Chevy swap - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJgtD6SnrDk)

zooopreme
03-26-2013, 01:59 PM
Please don't use this forum to be spoonfed or ask other people for their opinions. It's your money, it's your choice.

But to point you into the right direction, inspect every panel for rust or any damages. Check the worksmanship on the swap or any modifications that the original owner had done. Take it for a drive, any hesitation, see if the shocks/springs are still good to be driving on. Lift the car up, check the bushings all around. HVAC system still there?

Stuff like that will get you your answer. Simply watching a video and CL ad will not help you out as much as checking out the car for yourself will.

Croustibat
03-26-2013, 02:01 PM
Ask yourself this simple question : why would someone bother to do a v8 swap, then sell it within 1000 miles ? For 3500$ ?

Answer : something is seriously wrong here.

Kingtal0n
03-28-2013, 03:44 PM
hahaha cool. Ok, here is the scoop. I know all about these engines, you need to find out what year and what vehicle the V8 came from. Is the transmission a TH350?

Notice the carb, and probably th350 trans, is going to mean 10-12mpg if you are lucky. Thats probably why he is selling it. To squeeze 25mpg out of that engine, it would need to be a post-1992 block, and would require fuel injection, which can be done for between $500 and $3000 depending on the route you choose. Also the rear gear needs to change most likely, if he left it with the oem gear its going to scream and can not be driven at high speeds (60mph+) for very long (should not be) because RPM will be very high.

So get the year of the engine block, what vehicle, this will tell you 4-bolt or 2-bolt main, and 1 or 2 piece rear seal. thats the first thing to get info wise, because if it isnt a 1 piece rear seal, the bottom end is probably sloppy and the engine might have core shift and all kinds of other nonsense you do not want to deal with.

In another note, the body looks decent. A clean 240 with a decent body with NO engine costs what, 800-1500$ ? A V8 like that can be had for around $1200 or so, therefore, the price is not unreasonable if not a little high. He may have done all that work and realized, OMG, another $4000 investment + labor to get the fuel economy I need to daily this? NO WAY!