PDA

View Full Version : Garrett GT2871 Needed for swap

a_justiss
03-22-2013, 06:53 PM
I just got a killer deal on this turbo and wanted to know what all would be needed to install on my sr20. I already have S/S lines and tubular turbo manifold. I know I need oil restrictor to run BB turbo.

Will I need clocking adapter?
Custom fabbed intake kit since it isnt the bolt up elbow?
Attach intercooler piping?

I already have the injectors, Z32 MAF, and will retune.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

ImportSource
03-22-2013, 07:00 PM
Im pretty sure Garrett GT turbos come with oil restrictors built in, I would check with Garrett before installing and make sure.

di-devol
03-22-2013, 08:23 PM
Im pretty sure Garrett GT turbos come with oil restrictors built in, I would check with Garrett before installing and make sure.

Nah, not built in. You can pick one up from atp turbo, pretty cheap.

Does your turbo have a 3" inlet?

codyace
03-22-2013, 11:03 PM
There are quite a few compressor covers, all different...take a pic of what you have.

With that said, also search the 2871r owners thread. Lots of nice info there for your car :D

OrangeVirus1
03-22-2013, 11:05 PM
Yes they do have rescritctors built in.. 90% of turbos have restrictors built in. that being said I'd still run a 4AN / 3 AN sized line to it no bigger.

codyace
03-22-2013, 11:09 PM
Yes they do have rescritctors built in.. 90% of turbos have restrictors built in. that being said I'd still run a 4AN / 3 AN sized line to it no bigger.

I'd suggest running an aftermarket restrictor just because. Turbochargers don't really need a ton of oil pressure to work. Cheap assurance, as the slightest bit of 'too much' can foul it up

OrangeVirus1
03-22-2013, 11:14 PM
I'd suggest running an aftermarket restrictor just because. Turbochargers don't really need a ton of oil pressure to work. Cheap assurance, as the slightest bit of 'too much' can foul it up

yes I also agree run another restrictor, for BB maybe 1.5mm restrictor, and Journal, maybe 3mm restrictor.

infact Ball bearing turbos are never suppose to see more than I think 70psi

a_justiss
04-01-2013, 06:51 AM
1997 180sx blacktop with roughly 65k

So far I have bought

1. gt2871r with all gaskets, drain, ss lines, and restrictor
2. BC stage 3 cams, springs, retainers, seats, valves, etc will be sending to shop to e cleaned, decked, and installed, ARP studs, new timing tensioner.
3. Z32 MAF, intake kit, freddy intake manifold, 810 injectors, fmic
4. J30 VLSD, spec stage 3 clutch, throw out, pilot bushing, arp bolts.

I am looking for 350hp quick spool. Anything else needed? What boost? My biggest question is what headgasket and thickness? RAS or not? Stock bottom end, I have 150-154 compression across the board?

Mikester
04-01-2013, 07:04 AM
You don't need cams for 350rwhp with a 2871. Also, 350 is a very achievable, good goal... But remember, 330-something with a fat power band is MUCH more fun and driveable than a narrow, 350 peak.

Recommend you a good standalone EMS if you don't already have one.

Croustibat
04-01-2013, 08:42 AM
As said before, you need an EMS. A nistune can do the job.

You also need good injectors... what are your 810cc made from ?

Ball bearing turbos nearly dont need oil pressure, the oil is just there to lubricate the bearings. Standard bearings need pressure though, as the oil is used to get the axle "float" around the bearing, like it happens on the crank bearings.

That being said, you just need to look at the turbo oil intake to know if there is already a restrictor or not.

a_justiss
04-01-2013, 09:16 AM
A buddy gave me a set of Deatschwerks 810s that he just got back from injectors.com to be cleaned and flow charts, but after reading about them I am thinking about getting a set Tomei or HKS now.

a_justiss
04-01-2013, 09:45 AM
What headgasket and thickness?

Mikester
04-01-2013, 11:55 AM
A buddy gave me a set of Deatschwerks 810s that he just got back from injectors.com to be cleaned and flow charts, but after reading about them I am thinking about getting a set Tomei or HKS now.

You can maybe get Sard 850's cheaper than the Tomei or HKS. Also, IIRC, Nismo makes 740's- can't go wrong w/Nismo.

What headgasket and thickness?

OEM headgasket, ARP studs.

a_justiss
04-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Even with them decking the head the 1.1 should still be fine?

Mikester
04-01-2013, 02:06 PM
If the motor is already assembled and has good compression, don't worry about it... Get appropriate supporting mods, instal;l the turbo, have it tuned and go. No reason to remove the head.

RAS are a choice. They have worked for me in the past and I would use them again if needed- but you need to remember that in the event a rocker comes loose, you don't want a stopper hanging it up in the valvetrain- you want it to fly around freely and not dick up your cams, journals etc.

This seems to be getting off topic.

BTW my 19 yr old son lives in Rockwall- nice place!