PDA

View Full Version : Drop Engineering Coilovers

JustDrift240sx
03-19-2013, 09:30 PM
Alright guys, so I just installed some Drop Engineering Coilovers on my 240sx. Thing is, I keep hearing a clunking sound coming from the front, I later found out I didnt tighten the middle bolt. Did that, now I hear like a weird sound coming from the passenger coilover whenever I turn..its like a stretching sound or something. What could it be? Someone help! :newbie:

racepar1
03-19-2013, 09:43 PM
The sphericals on the camber plates are probably tight and you're hearing the spring sliding on the upper perch. You can install torrington bearings under the spring to allow it to rotate and stop the noise. Really spherical bearings are not designed to be used for radial motion like that, only lateral motion.

driftminds13
03-19-2013, 09:44 PM
check your control arm bushings now that you put coils on everything that was starting to go badis going to go bad.

JustDrift240sx
03-19-2013, 09:47 PM
The sphericals on the camber plates are probably tight and you're hearing the spring sliding on the upper perch. You can install torrington bearings under the spring to allow it to rotate and stop the noise. Really spherical bearings are not designed to be used for radial motion like that, only lateral motion.
Should I losen them than?

JustDrift240sx
03-19-2013, 09:47 PM
check your control arm bushings now that you put coils on everything that was starting to go badis going to go bad.

I'll do just that!

racepar1
03-19-2013, 10:57 PM
Should I losen them than?

No, don't loosen them. The bearing itself is tight, not that you overtightened the nuts. It will loosen up over time and the noise will go away. The PROPER solution is to install a torrington bearing setup under your springs to allow them to rotate. They're pretty cheap. There is more info on nissanroadracing.com if you want to do a search.

JustDrift240sx
03-19-2013, 10:58 PM
No, don't loosen them. The bearing itself is tight, not that you overtightened the nuts. It will loosen up over time and the noise will go away. The PROPER solution is to install a torrington bearing setup under your springs to allow them to rotate. They're pretty cheap. There is more info on nissanroadracing.com if you want to do a search.
Ah man thanks so much, your a life savor! I thought I installed them wrong or had to lube the spring up lol :picardfp:

NoPistons!
04-07-2013, 01:10 AM
QA1 also sells the bearings. Just make sure you get the right size. Stumbled on this thread looking for a review as i just ordered a set about 30 minutes ago. Keep this thread alive with updates. maybe it will get rid of some of the ignorant things i've been hearing about these coils from people with no actual first, second or third party experience.

JustDrift240sx
04-07-2013, 01:16 AM
Update, I've had mine for about a month. Very pleased with them, although some times when I turn it sounds like im driving a ship lol but there great!

Frank_Jaeger
04-07-2013, 11:17 AM
I've got a set of their front hubs. Holding up so far, I'm pleased with the quality. I'm considering getting their coilovers too.

coupesallday!
04-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Update, I've had mine for about a month. Very pleased with them, although some times when I turn it sounds like im driving a ship lol but there great!

I had the same problem with my s13. It's not the coilover it's your stock suspension.

JustDrift240sx
04-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Oh do you know away to prevent it?

coupesallday!
04-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Get aftermarket arms to support the height drop

JustDrift240sx
04-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Makes sense, thanks bro

NoPistons!
04-13-2013, 03:50 AM
that being said i will probably keep my aftermarket arms then.

Ups dropped my drop engineering box of today. Ran to that truck like it was being pulled by reindeer. Unboxed them and jizzed my pants.

Looks like a few of us will be testing them in the real world vs hipsters with "better" coils talking crap on something they have never seen in person or held with their own two hands telling people not to buy them at all.

PS. Drop engineering put rubber insulators on the front springs to keep the rotation point isolated to the upper mount and lower ball joint. Doubtful the spring is spinning around but DO check the 4 round head screws that hold the pillowball housing together, not the actual allen head camber adjustment bolts but the pillowball housing. I noted one of mine was threaded out about 2mm's fresh out the box. Also had a loose damper adjuster screw i had to tighten the lock nut down on. Tearing them down to damper and reassembling with moly grease on all threads and white lightning on the pillowball. You can buy white lightning at any bike store and in the cycling department of your local sporting goods store. It's great stuff! Sheds dirt and water.

Edit: I was VERY happy with the unboxing. Not sure how it will work on my car yet but i flipped the lower mounts. Figured i'd do that before pulling collars. I'm not trying to go stupid low, just low without having to risk bottoming the damper. Preloaded em just a hair by hand and threaded the lower mounts all the way in as far as they would go. Some of you dont give a shit and then bitch when you blow coilovers saying it sucks instead of getting mad at yourself for being mechanically retarded.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff457/potatoesbarnaby/P041313_0046_zps0868b27b.jpg (http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/potatoesbarnaby/media/P041313_0046_zps0868b27b.jpg.html)

When you guys feel the need to ask zilvia about a part before you buy it, DONT. Just buy the damn thing. They're going to tell you that you'll have to eat ramen the rest of your days to have parts THEY can drool about being on YOUR car vs you getting your seat time in and having FUN being satisfied with YOUR OWN CAR.