PDA

View Full Version : Silvia hood fab up

Veryflush
03-12-2013, 04:41 PM
I'm trying to fab up a silvia hood out of my minty but old s13 pop up hood. Anyone have pics or links to pics or a how to thread? I get the basics of it just want to makr sure there is no easier way besides paying 400 for a sil hood which is dumb since its going on my track car.

Thanks in advance

Please no flaming. If it isn't a positive comment then don't type it.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

zerodameaon
03-12-2013, 08:06 PM
Just weld in plates to the cutout areas, that's what I have always seen done. Only simpler way is find a used Silvia hood or buy a new one.

Sileighty_85
03-12-2013, 08:46 PM
yeah man just cut up some Computer tower cases and weld them on there

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/Neil_85/180SX/Welding_zps57b962a8.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/Neil_85/IMG_1179.jpg

godrifttoday
03-12-2013, 09:24 PM
No figure most cars look like shit

Punished
03-12-2013, 10:41 PM
computer cases...... I have no words

andrew600
03-12-2013, 10:44 PM
Lol or you could do it the right way.

arsenics14
03-12-2013, 10:49 PM
checkout JDMHookup.com. I bet you could get a deal on hood.

Sileighty_85
03-13-2013, 02:50 AM
lol mine was just a temp til my hood arrived

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/Neil_85/180SX/DSCN0003.jpg

Hashiriya415
03-13-2013, 03:23 AM
Lol or you could do it the right way.

I got nothing against you, nothing personal. BUT, I WOULDN'T WANNA BE SEEN IN THIS THING. If this is the way of doing it right, then do it the wrong way or any other way.

Veryflush
03-13-2013, 04:22 AM
Guys this is for a track car looks doesn't matter. I didn't know if the hood it's self was shorter then the oem silvia hood.

Thanks for the information guys!

kamilitaryman
03-13-2013, 10:42 AM
computer cases...... I have no words

Good! He did what he had to do and it worked for him.

andrew600
03-13-2013, 01:10 PM
I got nothing against you, nothing personal. BUT, I WOULDN'T WANNA BE SEEN IN THIS THING. If this is the way of doing it right, then do it the wrong way or any other way.

how is an oem front end done the wrong way? no its not painted but i just got it back from fab shop. if oem is the wrong way, i dont wanna know what the right way is for you. :picardfp:

racepar1
03-13-2013, 02:10 PM
Guys this is for a track car looks doesn't matter. I didn't know if the hood it's self was shorter then the oem silvia hood.

Thanks for the information guys!

Half-assing shit just because "it's a track car" is not a valid excuse. That's just being a cheap-ass. So looks don't matter, but you bought the silvia front for LOOKS? You ponied up the rest of the money for the silvia front end, but you're cheaping out on the hood? LAME! Besides who the hell tries to sell a stock silvia hood for $400??? I could probably get one for $100... Why would you need a write-up on welding some metal panels in to fill the holes anyways? That's pretty self-explanatory dude...

tauntdevil
03-13-2013, 02:27 PM
^ Because its not available... "Like" that post.

yeah man just cut up some Computer tower cases and weld them on there
This is funny because I do this all the time. Works great for just spare metal since where I work, we throw out many computers and server chassis.

Veryflush
03-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Half-assing shit just because "it's a track car" is not a valid excuse. That's just being a cheap-ass. So looks don't matter, but you bought the silvia front for LOOKS? You ponied up the rest of the money for the silvia front end, but you're cheaping out on the hood? LAME! Besides who the hell tries to sell a stock silvia hood for $400??? I could probably get one for $100... Why would you need a write-up on welding some metal panels in to fill the holes anyways? That's pretty self-explanatory dude...

In my area u can't find one for less then 400. My whole front end cost me that so why would I pay it 400 for the hood? I have origin 40mm fenders new and b magic front bumper which is also new plus triple projectors all of that was 400. Actually less since I sold my pig nose front end for 250 without the hood. I'm spending the money on more important things. If I fab the hood u won't be able to tell the diffrence as I don't half ass anything.

racepar1
03-13-2013, 03:20 PM
If I fab the hood u won't be able to tell the diffrence as I don't half ass anything.

If you look at the posted pics the hood doesn't line-up properly in the front. Also a real silvia hood is raised in the center section. The pop-up hood is recessed in the center section. It's not going to look right no matter what you do and anyone that knows will clearly be able to tell that it's not a silvia hood.

Veryflush
03-13-2013, 03:28 PM
If you look at the posted pics the hood doesn't line-up properly in the front. Also a real silvia hood is raised in the center section. The pop-up hood is recessed in the center section. It's not going to look right no matter what you do and anyone that knows will clearly be able to tell that it's not a silvia hood.

That's fine opinions will be overlooked at the end of the day it's still a 240sx. We're going to extend the center to sit flush with the lights and vent the center so no most people wont be able to tell unless they just feel the need to thoroughly examine my hood with a magnifying glass.

240KA
03-13-2013, 03:37 PM
post pics when youre done please

andrew600
03-13-2013, 03:38 PM
if you have the knowledge and know how to do that, why make a thread asking how to do it in the first place.

iLagX
03-13-2013, 03:39 PM
That's fine opinions will be overlooked at the end of the day it's still a 240sx. We're going to extend the center to sit flush with the lights and vent the center so no most people wont be able to tell unless they just feel the need to thoroughly examine my hood with a magnifying glass.

Post up some pictures when you are finish.

kamilitaryman
03-13-2013, 03:43 PM
Holy fuck, people get so bent out of shape about the looks of a hood. lmfao I wonder what you haters act like over the smallest mistakes you or your family makes.

Veryflush
03-13-2013, 03:54 PM
if you have the knowledge and know how to do that, why make a thread asking how to do it in the first place.

Never hurt to get outside opinions. This will be my first time doing a hood like this. I was just going to weld the lids and cut to make it.flush but now I know the middle section is a tad bit shorter then the sil hood.

So ill weld lids in cut flush then cut the end section straight across and extend it however many mm” I need to make it flush over the head lights.

I'll post pics im also painting my carso ill post my finished product.

Matej
03-13-2013, 04:10 PM
Guys this is for a track car looks doesn't matter.
The pop-up front end is more aerodynamic.

Veryflush
03-13-2013, 04:11 PM

I have wide body aero I think ill be fine.

racepar1
03-13-2013, 04:31 PM
Holy fuck, people get so bent out of shape about the looks of a hood. lmfao I wonder what you haters act like over the smallest mistakes you or your family makes.

The "hating" is about doing things the right way. I disagree with anyone doing anything in a half-assed manner. $400 is not very much money to spend on modifying a car. Realistically it would take more than $400 worth of labor to modify the pop-up hood to the OP's "specs" anyways. Labor is not free, even if it's your own.

Who needs aerodynamics? It's a "track car"... It's supposed to look dope, be slammed, hellaflush, and get beat by spec miatas.

Veryflush
03-13-2013, 04:35 PM
The "hating" is about doing things the right way. I disagree with anyone doing anything in a half-assed manner. $400 is not very much money to spend on modifying a car. Realistically it would take more than $400 worth of labor to modify the pop-up hood to the OP's "specs" anyways. Labor is not free, even if it's your own.

Who needs aerodynamics? It's a "track car"... It's supposed to look dope, be slammed, hellaflush, and get beat by spec miatas.

Mine is deff not hell flush it's just for drifting. I will not pay drift tax on a metal hood just because its a sil hood.

I also have a spec miata.

If anything I'm bettering my fab skills. Should only take me 1hr/2 hr. So if I made 100hr ill still be coming out better then buying one.

kamilitaryman
03-13-2013, 05:02 PM

I agree with you to a point. The point being budget. Not everyone can afford to drop $400 as needed. And no, track cars can look like shit, especially by today's "standards". I put that in quotes due to how big drifting has become. The drivers that decide to pickup the sport and the kinds of "pieces of shit" I've seen at the track. Racing is racing, who cares!

Also, you don't know the OP personally. You don't know anything other than what you assume by what he/she posts. Instead of flaming him for what he's trying to accomplish maybe instead throw some tips on how to do it right with what he has available. This goes for anyone. This is a fuckin forum, not a epeen fight.

I don't even know the OP nor do I know you. All I know is that the OP came here for advice.

Is that your car in your profile picture? Makes me wonder...

Veryflush
03-13-2013, 05:06 PM
I agree with you to a point. The point being budget. Not everyone can afford to drop $400 as needed. And no, track cars can look like shit, especially by today's "standards". I put that in quotes due to how big drifting has become. The drivers that decide to pickup the sport and the kinds of "pieces of shit" I've seen at the track. Racing is racing, who cares!

Also, you don't know the OP personally. You don't know anything other than what you assume by what he/she posts. Instead of flaming him for what he's trying to accomplish maybe instead throw some tips on how to do it right with what he has available. This goes for anyone. This is a fuckin forum, not a epeen fight.

I don't even know the OP nor do I know you. All I know is that the OP came here for advice.

You sir win the internet ! Thanks man.

racepar1
03-13-2013, 05:13 PM

Your statement about all the POS "drift" cars that kids are building these days is the exact reason for my attitude towards this thread. I understand about having a budget. I don't have a budget to go racing right now, but that doesn't stop me from doing things the right way on my cars. I'm posting my opinion and my opinion is as valid as anyone's. If you don't want OPINIONS then don't post. Not everyone is going to like what you're doing so deal with it. The OP didn't seem to come here for advice. According to him he already knows how he wants to do it. He came for opinions, well he got them. The car in the pic is not mine, it is my dad's. We'll be at WSIR this weekend for an event. BTW, what does "epeen" mean? I'm confused...

Veryflush
03-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Your statement about all the POS "drift" cars that kids are building these days is the exact reason for my attitude towards this thread. I understand about having a budget. I don't have a budget to go racing right now, but that doesn't stop me from doing things the right way on my cars. I'm posting my opinion and my opinion is as valid as anyone's. If you don't want OPINIONS then don't post. Not everyone is going to like what you're doing so deal with it. The OP didn't seem to come here for advice. According to him he already knows how he wants to do it. He came for opinions, well he got them. The car in the pic is not mine, it is my dad's. We'll be at WSIR this weekend for an event. BTW, what does "epeen" mean? I'm confused...

Well I don't want to destroy a 400 hood. Better now?

Frank_Jaeger
03-13-2013, 05:16 PM
You don't know anything other than what you assume by what he/she posts.

Haha you make me raff.

racepar1
03-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Mine is deff not hell flush it's just for drifting. I will not pay drift tax on a metal hood just because its a sil hood.

I also have a spec miata.

If anything I'm bettering my fab skills. Should only take me 1hr/2 hr. So if I made 100hr ill still be coming out better then buying one.

To do it right will takes a LOT more than 2 hrs. First you have to form the panels to match the curve of the hood, since it's not flat. Then you have to cut the panels to shape. Then you have to roll the leading and outside edge of the panels to match the rolled edge of the stock hood. Then you have to actually weld the panels into the stock hood. Then you've gotta section the entire hood and extend it about 1/2" by the looks of it. Then after that you've gotta make/install your hood vent. Then after all that you've gotta do finish bodywork to get it ready for paint. This is all assuming that the curve on the leading edge of the pop-up hood matches the curve of the silvia hood. If not, you've gotta re-curve the whole leading edge and re-roll the leading edge of the entire hood. You could spend double digit amounts of hours getting it right.

Well I don't want to destroy a 400 hood. Better now?

But you're fine with destroying a $400 front end? Which is a STEAL BTW, kudos on that price. If that's your reasoning then you should have stuck with the pop-up front. I'm not even responding to your posts or talking crap about you personally anyways, why respond to mine? Bottom line is that you're building a "drift" car. I hate drift cars, for the most part. I would probably appreciate your spec miata much more. Take it for what it is, I don't like your idea and I would never do what you're doing.

Veryflush
03-13-2013, 06:35 PM
To do it right will takes a LOT more than 2 hrs. First you have to form the panels to match the curve of the hood, since it's not flat. Then you have to cut the panels to shape. Then you have to roll the leading and outside edge of the panels to match the rolled edge of the stock hood. Then you have to actually weld the panels into the stock hood. Then you've gotta section the entire hood and extend it about 1/2" by the looks of it. Then after that you've gotta make/install your hood vent. Then after all that you've gotta do finish bodywork to get it ready for paint. This is all assuming that the curve on the leading edge of the pop-up hood matches the curve of the silvia hood. If not, you've gotta re-curve the whole leading edge and re-roll the leading edge of the entire hood. You could spend double digit amounts of hours getting it right.

But you're fine with destroying a $400 front end? Which is a STEAL BTW, kudos on that price. If that's your reasoning then you should have stuck with the pop-up front. I'm not even responding to your posts or talking crap about you personally anyways, why respond to mine? Bottom line is that you're building a "drift" car. I hate drift cars, for the most part. I would probably appreciate your spec miata much more. Take it for what it is, I don't like your idea and I would never do what you're doing.

That's fine I didn't ask you to like it.

racepar1
03-13-2013, 07:29 PM
*constructive comment*

It might be a good idea to get another stock hood and make the delete panels for the headlight holes out of the center section. It should match the contour of the top of the hood pretty well and the curve on the front should also match. You might even be able to use some of the under supports so that the hood isn't all flimsy on the edges. Just a thought I had staring at the pile of stock hoods I've got...

supersayianjim
06-22-2014, 11:29 AM
so.... i need one of these $400.00 silvia hoods that people are talking about..

omgRWDgoodness!
06-22-2014, 01:36 PM

Pretty sure that was one of Matej's trademark difficult-to-detect sarcasm posts.