PDA

View Full Version : Front part of HG that goes between the upper and lower front cover.

MrSanchez925
03-11-2013, 07:31 PM
So I'm cleaning up a KA24DE That I recently purchased,

During the process of degreasing & cleaning
I noticed a huge wad of RTV on the corner where the upper and lower timing cover meet..

I picked away the RTV and noticed that it was covering the a chip that was clearly leaking.

by the looks of it the guy used RTV as well as the HG to seal the front and lower timing cover..

Well when I remove the timing cover I know it will damage that portion of the HG.

So my question is.. Can I just Use RTV to seal it again since that part of the HG doesn't see that much pressure? or would I have to pull the head and replace the Head gasket?

Chaluska
03-11-2013, 07:58 PM
So I'm cleaning up a KA24DE That I recently purchased,

During the process of degreasing & cleaning
I noticed a huge wad of RTV on the corner where the upper and lower timing cover meet..

I picked away the RTV and noticed that it was covering the a chip that was clearly leaking.

by the looks of it the guy used RTV as well as the HG to seal the front and lower timing cover..

Well when I remove the timing cover I know it will damage that portion of the HG.

So my question is.. Can I just Use RTV to seal it again since that part of the HG doesn't see that much pressure? or would I have to pull the head and replace the Head gasket?

that part of the head gasket doesnt "matter" as much as the gasket between the head and the block..

all that gasket is doing is acting like a spacer, so that the timing covers match up to the head (if you use RTV only, there will be a 1-2mm space missing, and the bolts wont line up to the head, and the valve cover wont sit flush to the timing cover.

MrSanchez925
03-11-2013, 09:04 PM
So could I get away with cleaning that gasket (as best as I can) and then laying a bead on RTV on each side?

I'd really prefer to not replace the whole HG is possible.