PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust question

SquirrelSOHC
02-28-2013, 09:45 AM
little history on my car, I bought this s13 about 3 months ago from a very neglectful owner. The car is a stock ka24e with 3in straigh piping all the way through. Ran a couple compression tests and deemed the head being bad. My plan is too put a new head on the car in 2 weeks but with 3in straigt piping am i setting myself up for failure/waisting my money? I dont want to put this new head on and destroy it because of the piping I have heard many rumors of warping valves and what not. What do you guys think?

Croustibat
02-28-2013, 10:07 AM
The reason you would even think the diameter of your exhaust could warp the head is way beyond my comprehension, so here is my advice :

sell that car, and get a used, economical car that wont require you to mess with its engine (nor electrics nor suspensions)

SquirrelSOHC
02-28-2013, 10:12 AM
The reason you would even think the diameter of your exhaust could warp the head is way beyond my comprehension, so here is my advice :

sell that car, and get a used, economical car that wont require you to mess with its engine (nor electrics nor suspensions)

okay... sorry for not making myself clear the reason i think that is because it is very large piping and when off the throttle cold air can rush in causing the hot exhaust valve to loose temp fast making it warp. Like i said it was just a rumor i have read before and i wanted to get some helpful input before i go and spend the money on a head thanks anyway..

srstan
02-28-2013, 10:25 AM
okay... sorry for not making myself clear the reason i think that is because it is very large piping and when off the throttle cold air can rush in causing the hot exhaust valve to loose temp fast making it warp. Like i said it was just a rumor i have read before and i wanted to get some helpful input before i go and spend the money on a head thanks anyway..

:duh: I've never heard that before. sounds like you just got a shitty motor.

e5s4y
02-28-2013, 11:14 AM

are you expecting your motor to run in reverse when you get off the throttle? do you understand the basics of how a motor works? do you drive backwards on one way streets?

i dont understand your theory.