PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum or steel for custom transmission adapters? Woe is me.

Matej
02-27-2013, 06:12 PM
Good day friends,
In the near future I will be making my own brackets to move the transmission crossmember forward, and also a bellhousing dust shield/adapter.
However, I am undecided on whether to use 1/4" thick aluminum (basic 6061) or 3/16" thick steel (general purpose).

The brackets would be similar to this, except I will use angle aluminum/steel to make them more sturdy. I also plan to still be able to utilize the rear transmission crossmember hole bolted to the front mounting mounting point.
http://image.superstreetonline.com/f/techarticles/9270084/130_0703_36_z%2bnissan_240sx_rb25det_rb26dett_engi ne_swap%2bbolting_on_the_transmission_crossmember. jpg

As for the bellhousing adapter, only about four bolts would bolt directly to it, as most of the bellhousing bolts line up and will go through to the block. It will be mainly a dust shield to cover up a couple openings around the starter area.

I am leaning towards the aluminum as it is prettier, lighter, and will not rust.
At the same time, I am a bit paranoid that it will not be strong enough. What do you gentlemen think?

Thank you for any input.

UNITEDMASTER
02-27-2013, 06:16 PM
Why do you want to move Trans forward??? What swap/Trans is this for

Matej
02-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Why do you want to move Trans forward??? What swap/Trans is this for
FWD SR with RWD transmission. I am moving it forward so the distributor and solenoids will clear the firewall, plus it will be much easier to do a clutch swap.
I know it is not the ideal solution for weight distribution and such, but that is not too big of a deal for me. :)

20b 3 rotor
02-27-2013, 06:30 PM
If you have an auto trans cross member available that may give you enough length to move the engine forward where you want.

Laotian240
02-27-2013, 06:52 PM
I would do aluminum. As you said its prettier, lighter, will not rust as for strength aluminum can be 10x that steel if done properly. Easier to drill and machine. So busting out a pair of these should be quick and painless. Those brackets look flimsy since its just a straight piece . I would design a triangle shaped piece. Aluminum likes to bend.