PDA

View Full Version : Smoke Problems???

nissandrift
04-08-2004, 10:10 AM
My car started smoking today noticebly, My car is mainly stock except what I did in the last few weeks. 3 weeks ago, I adjusted my timing(no gun, just stopwatch runs), and changed oil to Mobil 1 5w30. My Cat has been leaking for a while so I bought a test pipe last week. I tried to take off my old cat and broke off the 2 manifold side bolts but couldnt budge the muffler side. I only drove it basically to my friends lift last night and cut it off. I put on the test pipe, and then checked my timing with a timing gun. It turned out to be 29 degrees BTDC :doh: . So I moved it to about 22 degrees. When I drove home i noticed a definate decrease in upper RPMS power but increase in tq, i assumed from open manifold to exhaust. I used t not smoke like this, any suggestions. Did I mess something up with the timing that high, i assumed the knock sensor wouldve caught it. I als wondered if I shouldve used a thicker oil, maybe 10w40. It may have been smoking for a while but due to the leak i never noticed.

nissandrift
04-08-2004, 11:44 AM
Update: I just got home and checked. Its not smoking now, but now it seems like the exhaust is plugged. I think theres something stuck in there. What is suggested to get it out? Im thinking a shop vac on the cat side, or maybe compressed air through the exhaust.