PDA

View Full Version : my exhaust rattles

Lyger
04-07-2004, 04:10 AM
I installed the 5 Zigen fireball exhaust system on my 95 240sx a while back. I get a rattle from my exhaust now. I'm assuming the exhaust is too close to my bumper. Has anyone experience this problem? What would be the best way to go about fixing this? Thanks.

PSI240SX
04-07-2004, 07:23 AM
first, you need to really find out where the rattle is coming from. Like jack the car up and use jack stands, get under the car with it running and have a buddy go through the rpms til you hear the rattle. Find out the spot, and maybe bend a bracket to move the exhast out of the way enough to clear it.

obsolete
04-07-2004, 01:40 PM
i have that vibrating also...i also got a CRAZY VIBRATING NOISE @ around 70-80mph all the way in the rear of the car on the driver's side. neone have ne idea what it could be? i had a friend follow me while it was making those noises and she told me thta my exhaust wasn't moving. but it started to happen when i put this exhaust in. been riding like this for months now!!!SOMEBODY HELP!!! MINE IS A 5zigen fireball too! except for s13

obsolete
04-07-2004, 01:40 PM
i have that vibrating also...i also got a CRAZY VIBRATING NOISE @ around 70-80mph all the way in the rear of the car on the driver's side. neone have ne idea what it could be? i had a friend follow me while it was making those noises and she told me thta my exhaust wasn't moving. but it started to happen when i put this exhaust in. been riding like this for months now!!!SOMEBODY HELP!!! MINE IS A 5zigen fireball too! except for s13

CustomS14A
04-07-2004, 06:29 PM
For me my cat hits my oil pan and there is no way i can fix it unless i get headers.

mbmbmb23
04-07-2004, 09:18 PM
For me my cat hits my oil pan and there is no way i can fix it unless i get headers.

Or you can jam a ball of steel wool between the two.

-m

CustomS14A
04-08-2004, 01:22 PM
i will give it a try

Blues13
04-09-2004, 04:08 AM
obsolete, did you check the tow hook clearance in the rear? Its probably hitting the tow hook right above the exhaust tip. It's pretty freakin annoying if you haven't removed it already.

obsolete
04-09-2004, 12:09 PM
i don't think it's the tow hook b/c i had a friend follow me and they said my tip wasn't moving. wouldn't it make a mark on my tip if it was hitting it? i think i'm gonna take it off nehow just in case. is there anything inside by the antenna that might move?

sykikchimp
04-09-2004, 12:18 PM
If it's a fireball, it's the tow hook. I have that same exhaust, and had the same problem. I stuck a wood dowel in the exhaust hanger to make it expand, and that allowed it to hang down far enough so that it doesn't rattle off the tow hook anymore.

SOLDIER [X]
04-13-2005, 07:58 PM
sorry for bringing this back from the dead but is there anyway to remove the towhook?

Blues13
04-13-2005, 08:04 PM
You can unbolt it, but the bolts are pretty hard to get to. The easiest way is to get a muffler shop to cut it off which will only take a couple minutes to do.