PDA

View Full Version : Long distance

240sxlover20
02-20-2013, 03:53 PM
I searched and didn't find anything telling me about driving long distance with a sr20det 240sx. So how would an sr20det handle a long distance drive? something like Middle of NC to the Middle of FL

S14Driftr91
02-20-2013, 04:08 PM
Really ? If its stock, built, or whatever may be done to it, if everything is well maintained and assembled correctly you should have no problem.

Your question is the same as asking if a gti or your uncles volvo could make it down. I wouldnt see any problem unless you were driving like a douche

240sxlover20
02-20-2013, 04:10 PM
thanks for the reply

Boost_Fiend
02-20-2013, 04:36 PM
My commute to work is 80+ miles there and back 5 days a week and my sr has never failed me.

guitaraholic
02-20-2013, 10:53 PM
NC to FL long,, shhhheeeet,,, that's nothing try Jacksonville, FL to Nova Scotia Canada, back to Jacksonville, FL,, to Salt Lake City Utah,, back to Jacksonville, FL,, then from Waynesville, Missouri, back to Jacksonville. All this while pushing 270whp or so, actually last 1000 miles has been with a GT2860RS, so maybe a bit more.

Mikester
02-21-2013, 07:58 AM
I searched and didn't find anything telling me about driving long distance with a sr20det 240sx. So how would an sr20det handle a long distance drive? something like Middle of NC to the Middle of FL

Okay kid- Here is an easy way to look at it:

SR's come factory in many non-USDM S-chassis cars- we just swap them in here because they offer better power & aftermarket options. The SR is designed just like any other Nissan factory motor- to last the life of the car when properly maintained. If it is properly installed and maintained, it will last decades... So YES, it would last several trips around the equator; provided you stop & do proper maintenance at the correct intervals. Key word here being "proper." Cut corners, ghetto rig fixes etc, and then the variables start to stack up in Murphy's favor.

That being said, something for you to consider is that your SR probably had the ever-loving shit beat out of it before you got it. Remember, minor leaks evolve into major leaks, and leaks eventually cause moving parts to fail. Failed moving parts means car fails to move~

If you know your motor well, and have maintained it properly, then chances are you will have no issues. If have NOT changed the oil regularly, made sure the plugs, filters etc are in good working order; then you may want to re-think your course of action.

If you are travelling to a location to pick up the car for the first time... and trusting the person you are purchasing from's word that it will make the trip, then be sure to have plenty of $$$ for incidentals. Also, if this is the case, make CERTAIN you check ALL the fluids, not just the levels; but the cleanliness too. Inspect for fluid leaks, and VERY IMPORTANTLY, the condition of the tires. Drive it before any money changes hands. Be sure to tell yourself "there are other SR-swapped 240's... I don't NEED this one." If the deal seems too good to be true- it probably is.

Hope this helps.

--Mike

02-21-2013, 08:20 AM
not sure about the sr but just drove my ka from nc to north dakota and canada and back :) stoping only a few hours to pass out in the dr seat left dec came back jan 2nd well over 4500 mi but i have modded a few things and the engine has fresh rod bearings and head gasket n clutch . there are a number of factors

take a half day trip around your area to test it it should give you an idea of gas and temp issues if any not to mention a ton of other factors