PDA

View Full Version : sr20 head studs???? what fits

sileighty...
02-19-2013, 06:19 PM
hey guys ive been searching around and havent been able to find a conclusive answer.... i need to replace my head gasket but i dont want to reuse my stock head studs and iam a bit strapped for cash i was gonna get some arp studs but the deal fell through i only have about $80 at the moment and want to know if i can use the head studs from a different block and if so which one?

most importantly if there are any that are interchangeable IS IT SAFE thanks in advance

brndck
02-19-2013, 06:41 PM
highly NOT recommended.

but there are people who have used arp studs for a VW on the sr20 and got away with it.

i wouldn't encourage this.

take the time, do it right.

Jersthecool
02-19-2013, 06:43 PM
For something as important as head studs, definitely take the time and spend the money to know it's done right.

AsleepAltima
02-19-2013, 07:06 PM
i used arp studs in my head, no regrets. i used these ARP 204-4204 Engine Head Studs Bolts Kit Nissan SR20DET RWD (http://www.frsport.com/ARP-204-4204-Engine-Head-Studs-Bolts-Kit-Nissan-SR20DET-RWD_p_1368.html?gclid=COTQvb3mw7UCFYqk4AodjwQA0w)

xoxide
02-19-2013, 07:10 PM
ARP is the only way to go. New OEM studs are only about $50 bucks from what I remember though.

People use VW ARP studs on Sr's with metal HG's because they are a tad longer to compensate for the thicker headgasket. FRSport Recommends it, and I highly doubt they would recommend something that could damage your engine.

TheRealSy90
02-19-2013, 10:57 PM
So you won't re use OEM studs but will use something from a different engine? Just use your stock ones again there's nothing wrong with that if installed correctly.

Rustys14
02-20-2013, 10:31 AM
So you won't re use OEM studs but will use something from a different engine? Just use your stock ones again there's nothing wrong with that if installed correctly.

Sorry, but this is bad advise. The stock head bolts are TTY/Stretch bolts and are only really good for one use. If you are on a budget just go to the Nissan dealer and get brand new head bolts for a NA Sr20 (the part number is the same as the det). They aren't too expensive, should only be 50 or so dollars. ARP's can be re-used which is why I recommend saving up and getting them.

brndck
02-20-2013, 06:14 PM
these are what i use, and what i recommend, to everyone doing a head swap or head gasket on an sr.

Mazworx SR20 Head stud Kit - Cylinder Head - Mazworx (http://www.mazworx.com/product/cylinder-head/nissan/sr20det/head-studs/mazworx/mazworx-sr20-head-stud-kit)

http://www.mazworx.com/content/products/1364/thumb.jpg

they are longer, so they will bottom out properly, like the vw ones, and the material is the same as the higher quality ARP studs (ARP offers two different materials for sr20 head studs, the part # 204-4204 are ARP 8740 Material, the ARP 102-4701 are ARP 2000 Material )

also, this thread has great photos of the mazworx vs APR studs side by side.

Mazworx SR Head Studs/ Main Studs (http://www.sr20-forum.com/mazworx/26185-mazworx-sr-head-studs-main-studs.html)

ashtonroche
02-20-2013, 06:55 PM
Golden Eagle B16/B18 headstuds work perfectly in SR blocks. The upper end of the stud is a bit long so you gotta use a deep socket to torque them but thats about it. The bottom is also properly designed to bottom out in the block unlike the regular ARP and uses all the threads in the block. You can get them cheap. I used a set of B16a Golden Eagle head studs in my old motor with no issues, 35psi of boost on a t67, no headlift.

They dont make the b16a studs anymore but now make just one specific set for both B16/B18 motors.

ashtonroche
02-20-2013, 07:00 PM
The Great Headstud Thread (http://www.sr20-forum.com/turbo/13810-great-headstud-thread.html)

Thread with all the available known SR studs and their prices.

STR8E180
02-20-2013, 07:19 PM
ARP head studs designed for a GTiR is also a good upgrade

u will need to modify the block to use these

sileighty...
03-11-2013, 12:41 AM
thanks guys but i wasnt asking witch ones were better i know that arp is better so i guess i wasnt asking correctly i wanted to know which if any USDM blocks USED the same type of studs so i could get them from a local autoparts store and if they were SAFE and strong enough for a turbo engine because i needed my car for work ASAP and didnt mind redoing the job again with arp studs when i had TIME and i know stock head studs go for 24$ but its a 2 week wait but i ended up useing some arp studs in the end anyways turned out a buddy of mine had an extra set (new) and i scooped them up

and as far as for the guy that recomened reuseing the stock studs its not a good idea even if they are within the ok strech range IMO i would rather be safe than sorry and just replace them...not to mention the fact that the whole reason i had to rip apart my block was because i got a blown head gasket and a warped head which ment i couldnt reuse those studs even if i wanted to luckily i got another head in great condition

AsleepAltima
03-16-2013, 12:52 PM
mine are holding 22psi just fine. :)

tschad
03-16-2013, 01:22 PM
Arp studs arnt crazy expensive, save the money and do it right and not have to worry bout problems down the road. I would never re use studs that have been torque'd down. Just my 2 cents.