PDA

View Full Version : KA Transmission Question plz help

phrozen
04-06-2004, 02:18 PM
Well i was driving my car one night and it wouldnt engage from 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd for a while, i had to play with it to get it in gear. I would shift step on the gas and it would just rev, then is let go wait for it to go into gear then step on the gas. Well i knew my throwout bearing was bad cuz htere was alot of chatter but when i dropped the tranny yesterday and looked at my clutch and flywheel they were in really good condition still... It stumped me becuase soemtimes i can drive my car around without engagement problems. But it seems like after i drive for a long time it starts to not engage like theres nothing left on the clutch.

Well i replaced the pressure plate, flywheel, clutch, throwout bearing, and the bushing, and im going to bleed the clutch line. and put it all back together and hope i dont have any more problems. Only thing i can think of is that my tranny is worn out, but if the teeth on the gears are worn out how come i can drive it fine some days... if anyone has any idea what the problem might be plz help,

-Jason

aznpoopy
04-06-2004, 02:57 PM
? sounds like bad synchros. you can't throw it into gear. instead you have to rev it up and let the revs come down before the shifter slides into position right? i'm not 100% clear on your post but it sounds like you were double clutching like they did in the old days. did u check ur tranny oil? weird that it only happens after a while. good luck 2 u.

phrozen
04-06-2004, 03:24 PM
i can shift into the gear but i have to rev it and let the revs come down b4 it engages. I drove it around town like 2 days ago and didnt have problems all day, but some times it just dosent want to engage when i shift into the gear, i can get the shift lever to go into any gear but actually engaging is the problem

nismostate
04-10-2004, 10:44 AM
phrozen,

I had the same problem on my KA. Didn't know what the deal was. i noticed my throw out bearings were toast but other than that everything looked fine. I checked my tranny fluid and it was full. I did realize that when i drained the whole thing, i saw metal particles on the plug. I believe my tranny is toast. oh yea, i have 203k miles.

idlafie
04-12-2004, 03:31 AM
Phrozen,
Are you loosing any clutch fluid from the master clutch cylinder? The slave cylinder leaking? When you dropped the tranny, did you check to see if that little round "ball thing" which your fork sits on is okay? Check your clutch lines for any knicks. Also flush your clutch lines. It's possible that your existing clutch fluid is just old.
Anyhow, hope this helps.
Diego
"95 SE

Kookaburraz
04-12-2004, 08:07 AM
Do you guys know what the throwout bearing does?

It's like having a hole in the gas tank and saying "I know there's a hole, but other than that I don't know why it could be leaking." :ugh:

phrozen
04-12-2004, 02:49 PM
well im off to replace my clutch master cylinder and replace a few other things, wish me luck... for the price im spending on all the parts i could have bought a new tranny..

idlafie
04-13-2004, 03:24 AM
Do you guys know what the throwout bearing does?

It's like having a hole in the gas tank and saying "I know there's a hole, but other than that I don't know why it could be leaking." :ugh:

If you checked his original posting he mentioned that he had already replaced the throwout bearing....

Diego