PDA

View Full Version : Seafoaming an sr20det

Carter91
02-15-2013, 10:18 PM
So I've read several Threads from several different Forums, but non have really given me a clear Answer. Is it good to Seafoam my sr20det??? I have recently bought a s14 with a s13 Blacktop and the oil looks horrible. Should I Seafoam it to clean it out??? If so how should I do it???

jamg
02-15-2013, 10:27 PM
seafoam is amazing

Carter91
02-15-2013, 10:30 PM
How would I go about using it on my sr??? Where should I put it, how much???

BoredEE
02-15-2013, 11:01 PM
How does the oil look horrible?
Did you see chunks in the oil?
Did you cut open the oil filter?
Or did you just look at the dipstick?

From what information you've told us it sounds like you need an oil change not a seafoaming.

I don't see how looking at oil on the dipstick tells you need to seafoam an engine.
The easiest way would be to remove the valve cover and examine the amount of varnish.

If the varnish is light to medium just do short interval oil changes with a good quality synthetic oil.

Reading up on bob is the oil guy would give you a better idea if seafoaming is correct for you and where to use it (some people recommend not putting it in the crankcase).

I don't see how there is any specific differences on how to seafoam an sr20det vs any other engine.

Sarcastic response (which I was debating on posting):
Drain your oil and buy enough seafoam to fill your entire oil pan to the full level then run you car for 1000mi.

jamg
02-15-2013, 11:18 PM
one can, through your brake booster vacuum line.

use Rotella T6 syntethic oil.

2.5T_/<ouki
02-15-2013, 11:19 PM
How does the oil look horrible?
Did you see chunks in the oil?
Did you cut open the oil filter?
Or did you just look at the dipstick?

From what information you've told us it sounds like you need an oil change not a seafoaming.

I don't see how looking at oil on the dipstick tells you need to seafoam an engine.
The easiest way would be to remove the valve cover and examine the amount of varnish.

If the varnish is light to medium just do short interval oil changes with a good quality synthetic oil.

Reading up on bob is the oil guy would give you a better idea if seafoaming is correct for you and where to use it (some people recommend not putting it in the crankcase).

I don't see how there is any specific differences on how to seafoam an sr20det vs any other engine.

Sarcastic response (which I was debating on posting):
Drain your oil and buy enough seafoam to fill your entire oil pan to the full level then run you car for 1000mi.

My thoughts exactly.

Anyways,
I used seafoam on my RB25DET recently and it really didn't do much help for me lol. I was hoping it would improve my gas mileage :keke: tho my engine has been rebuilt about 3 years ago so it probably didn't have much gunk buildup to begin with.

You should read the bottle for direction.

1/3 into the system via intake manifold (brake booster vac line works good)
1/3 into the crankcase
1/3 into the gas tank

Here is an awesome thread step-by-step process of doing it the right way. I followed this guide and all went well.

How to use SeaFoam to clean your Engine - The RIGHT way! (http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/how-to-use-seafoam-to-clean-your-engine-the-right-way.html)

Carter91
02-15-2013, 11:44 PM
Well Idk how long the oil was sitting in the car before I bought it, so I just want to Seafoam it just to be on the safe side. I mean If it doesn't really need it I'll only be wasting a few dollars. I'd just rather be on the safe side.
And Thanks For All The Help Guys!!!

TheRealSy90
02-16-2013, 12:53 AM
I would never let seafoam anywhere near my sr.

Carter91
02-16-2013, 04:36 AM
I would never let seafoam anywhere near my sr.

Why is that???

Anhell_ito
03-29-2013, 09:30 PM
did you ever seamfoam it? i bought a clip and about to start up my motor. god knows how long its been sitting. it like to flush everything out.

Carter91
03-30-2013, 10:34 AM
Yes I did. It didn't make as much smoke as my previous cars did, but the car ran a little smoother afterwards.

EvilRB
04-02-2013, 02:26 AM
I just seafoamed my RB25 a few weeks ago for the first time since buying this car and it was an amazing difference!
I highly recommend it!
I did all the regular oil changes and injector cleaners before hand and the biggest difference by far was the seafoam. The engine just ran smoother afterwards.
I just followed simple instructions I read on the bottle and what I read here on-line, youtube, it was really simple.
A week later I did my oil change and filters.
My car is running great!
I say just try it!

va240dude
04-02-2013, 02:37 AM
Seafoam is great, but OP you need to search. I did my SR a few years ago following a tutorial online. Super easy and made my SR run a lot smoother.