PDA

View Full Version : Engine Rebuild

carkid0007
04-05-2004, 02:03 PM
I need to rebuild my engine since I am lacking the money to buy another. I need a website or something that will show me step by step because I am pretty much car illiterate. Any information would be appreciated. Also while I am at it I was wondering if there was a site for the components of the engine that will make it stronger and faster. The engine is a ka24e.

tak-
04-06-2004, 02:07 AM
It will cost you just as much for your gasket set as it would to find a reasonable engine. Our engines are cheap.

As far as a guide, maybe go to an auto store and pick up a haynes/chilton manual. They have an engine overhaul section in there that will help you, along with torque specifications/sequence.

You would probably want to replace your timing chain and guards/tensioners, they are a common thing to break. You can do that yourself, but read up online & in your manual, cause setting timing correctly is very important.

Taking the engine apart enough to install new head gasket & timing chain doesnt require much more than some 10-12-14, an adjustable wrench, and a 10mm torque/hex socket for the head bolts.

Once you start messing with the pistons, you will need a special tool to install them w/ new rings.
You will need a machine shop to install new bearings if you choose to replace them.
I wouldnt touch the valves unless you know what you are doing.

Get a service manual to read, you will figure it out.

carkid0007
04-06-2004, 06:33 AM
Thanx for the info

PSI240SX
04-06-2004, 07:58 AM
I need to rebuild my engine since I am lacking the money to buy another. I need a website or something that will show me step by step because I am pretty much car illiterate. Any information would be appreciated. Also while I am at it I was wondering if there was a site for the components of the engine that will make it stronger and faster. The engine is a ka24e.

Car illiterate and engine rebuilding is not a good combination. Your best bet is to find a KA out of someones car who has just swapped for the SR.

carkid0007
04-06-2004, 09:33 AM
I found one but I wanna learn, and I have a friend helping me who has rebuilt engines before. I have 2 other engines from the 2 other 240sx's I have. I just thought it would be a good experiance.

Mr. Spool
04-06-2004, 10:42 AM
Carkid007 I am from michigan and am in the same boat as you. I just bent a rod in my engine and am trying to get a good engine to swap in for the time being. I am going to rebuild my current engine for boost. but I have never messed with any internals yet. so this is all new to me as well. Were in ohio are you located, we might beable to help eachother out.

tak-
04-06-2004, 11:30 AM
If you got a spare one lying around that doesnt need to be done ASAP (your car still runs) then i say go for it man. no better way to learn than diving right in and figuring it out.

just remember, put some masking tape on your hoses & where the hoses plug in & label them with a unique id. Or figure out some way to do the same thing w/o the numbers coming off. This will help ALOT. Also put your nuts and bolts in ziplocks according to where they come from, and label them! (head studs, timing chain cover, intake manifold, exhaust) This will make it alot easier.

As far as components go. If this doesnt need to be done asap & you have time to collect money/parts I would go all out. You will need special tools to do some of the stuff that you might be able to rent, or have a machine shop do for you.

You will probably need to go to a machine shop and have them inspect your parts, resurface them, and possibly bore out your cylinders a little bigger.

If you can find a sohc engine, the pistons out of that would be great. Get some new rings, and the rods will work. Get new bearings, gaskets, oil pump, timing chain/parts, and then focus on some head work.

you should be set, but do some research, figure out what you want, and how much you are willing to spend.

element240
04-06-2004, 11:40 AM
i'll give you some pointers....
i would suggest you take it to a reputable machine shop to have them :
clean the block out thouroughly, (wether it be a hot tank or baked and bead blasted,etc)
have block checked for cracks
align hone the main bearing bore
mill the block
bore the cylinders to correct oversized piston diameter - (you shouldn't use old pistons or used pistons from another engine)
hone the cylinders to a proper cross hatch pattern

mill the head
have them inspect valve guide clearance and valves/valve seats as well as the rest of the valve train (springs, etc etc).
do a leak detection test using liquid method etc.
check for cracks
check for warped head- alluminum heads can be saved if it's not toooo warped.

and then also, if using stock rods, have them reconditioned... (or just get new rods alltogether)