PDA

View Full Version : Strut Tension rod.....

twitchy
04-04-2004, 08:11 PM
The bushing in my strut tension rod is seperated- can i get a new bushing put in or do I have to replace the whole thing?

Salty_X
04-04-2004, 09:19 PM
Yes, you can.
PDM carries some... Bling (http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/suspensiontc.html)
The dealership probably has stock bushings by themselves, or you could get some pillowball T/C rods instead... many choices.

twitchy
04-04-2004, 10:12 PM
For just normal driving, car doesnt see the track and no drifting, cept when its raining sometime.

anyhow whats this "pillowball" I keep hearing about?

oh and thank you very much for the link

mike13
04-05-2004, 02:32 PM
this thread has to be a joke... 1000+ posts and you dont even know about TC rod bushings???

twitchy
04-05-2004, 03:34 PM
apparently on some cars you have to replace the whole thing which is why I asked, but thanks for the input

Dream240
04-05-2004, 03:47 PM
apparently on some cars you have to replace the whole thing which is why I asked, but thanks for the input

You can get the T/C rods with new Poly bushings already pressed in them, or you can get the bushings separate and press them in yourself or take them somewhere and have them pressed. Check the link again for either if you haven't done that already. I did mine on my own and trust me it's not easy to get those old ones out. Unless you have some kind of hydraulic press and a vice, don't even try to press em out by hand. You'll just get pissed off and they'll still be stuck in there.

Good luck.

twitchy
04-05-2004, 05:50 PM
ya thanks...ive heard all kinds of horror stories although it looks like I could almost just peel it out right now.

THX1138
04-05-2004, 08:58 PM
I took my busted-ass, goo-bleeding stock ones out with a bench vise ("vice" is a bad habit), a piece of electrical conduit pipe, a flat piece of 1/4" sheet steel, and a BFH. The hardest part was actually finding a piece of pipe that was the right size to serve as a drift; after that it was just a matter of beating the crap out of the thing. Kinda like :smash: It took several dozen whacks before it started to move, then it just slid out.

I tried a few times to install the new bushings with the vise, but I would have needed three hands to hold everything just right. Fortunately there was a press three feet to my right.

twitchy
04-05-2004, 11:49 PM
i hear you can melt them out with a torch

citizen
04-05-2004, 11:53 PM
Get a hammer and two drifts, your done. It isn't dificult at all took me less then 5 minutes to do both and press them in. Took me more time to shave them down so they didn't bind against the t/c rod brackets.

Dream240
04-06-2004, 07:46 AM
ya thanks...ive heard all kinds of horror stories although it looks like I could almost just peel it out right now.

Okay just remember that the rubber is attached to a metal ring that the furthest piece of the bushing against the T/C rod. So by pressing out the rubber, you'll still leave the metal in there and your new ones won't fit. With the polyurethane bushings you get a better steering feel and response. Although some say it's too much feel for aftermarket rims. Makes the bumps feel that much harder. I really have to say that I prefer the poly ones over stock, besides stock ones will eventually break again and you don't want that.

Also just a tip, I pressed mine in with a "vise" and my own two hands. Just make sure you lubricate the crap out of the poly bushing (I used the grease they supplied with the bushings) and as you press it in it'll flex around like it's not going to go in, just keep pushing it in with the vise and voila! it'll "pop" right into place, very easy.

Good luck.

Johny5
04-06-2004, 07:52 AM
while putting my es bushing in the tension rod it made the shape like it wouldn't go in and bulged and strip the vise threads were stripped. gg es. :D