PDA

View Full Version : sr goes full rich randomly

jsu1012
02-05-2013, 07:11 PM
My car will be fine, idles great, pulls amazing. i'll drive it around for a couple weeks with no issues. All of the sudden it will go full rich (10:0 on aem wideband gauge) and flood the car out. massive amounts of smoke out of the exhaust and dies. i have to take out the fuse to the fuel pump and roll the car over to "dry" it up so it can start. once started it smokes a little bit then its fine.. runs great, pulls hard, no smoke, idles great. then about 2 weeks later it will do it randomly again. Can someone point me in the direction to fixing this? I've done boost leak tests. the first time i did a test was before all this happened and my hks bov was stuck open leaking massive amounts of air. stopped the test and restarted it and it didn't leak ever again.. i have no boost leaks or vacuum leaks.

mods:
redtop sr
tomei exhaust manifold
full exhaust
fmic
hks bov
740 injectors
greddy intake mani
Z32 maf
enthalpy tune

ForeignMuscle
02-05-2013, 07:24 PM
I would definitely send that back if it was stuck open.

Fuel pressure regulator is what I thought at first.

jsu1012
02-05-2013, 07:41 PM
Stock fpr. Gauge reads 44ish

di-devol
02-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Check the maf?

steve shadows
02-05-2013, 11:35 PM

With vacuum at idle? It should be 38-40 PSI max under these conditions.

brndck
02-05-2013, 11:56 PM

wait, what gauge???

i had a brand new aeromotive fpr go bad, right out of the box. the diaphragm ruptured, so i was getting full volume out of the vacuum line from the fpr, straight to the throttle body. lucky it didn't destroy the engine before i caught it.

perhaps you have an injector that is hanging open intermittently.

ForeignMuscle
02-06-2013, 07:08 AM
If the bov sticks open then that is the problem..

jsu1012
02-06-2013, 07:12 AM
With vacuum at idle? It should be 38-40 PSI max under these conditions.

went out and check at idle just to confirm. its 42 psi, with vacuum line hooked up.

wait, what gauge???

i had a brand new aeromotive fpr go bad, right out of the box. the diaphragm ruptured, so i was getting full volume out of the vacuum line from the fpr, straight to the throttle body. lucky it didn't destroy the engine before i caught it.

perhaps you have an injector that is hanging open intermittently.

i have an inline fuel pressure gauge. The thing that is throwing me off is, it isn't all the time. like i said i can drive it two weeks everyday, to work, out to eat with the fam, i even drove 3 hours to a drift event and drove back and it was fine. then just one day out of no where it does it again.

jsu1012
02-06-2013, 07:19 AM
If the bov sticks open then that is the problem..

I think you're right. im going to call enjuku today.

frankies1390
02-06-2013, 08:43 AM
mine did the exact same thing, i had some spare change at the time so i rebuilt my motor cuz of it and it needed it. turned out to be a combo of BOV and vacuum leak i never tracked down. just replaced all lines and bought a new BOV

jsu1012
02-06-2013, 09:25 AM
mine did the exact same thing, i had some spare change at the time so i rebuilt my motor cuz of it and it needed it. turned out to be a combo of BOV and vacuum leak i never tracked down. just replaced all lines and bought a new BOV

so this happening blew up your motor, or you just decided to rebuild it? thanks for the info on the bov. i called enjuku they said my bov is out of warranty but told me how to take it apart and clean it properly. i hope this fixes the problem, if not I guess I have to buy a different bov.

frankies1390
02-06-2013, 09:33 AM
no no it did not blow it up, obviuosly rich is better than lean. But rich does tend to "wash" your cylinder walls and cause a glaze that results in blow by. but mine did the exact same thing i tried ecu's, Maf's, IACV's, injectors- none of em really made it go away? Also i noticed a slight nic in my injector o-rings later on down the road after i replaced the 0-rings the car did not do it for the remainder that i had it, i eventually got rid of that car to fund medical bills. The BOV is good to clean if you have an entry level intercooler kit sometimes stuff flies around in there and YES can get caught in the BOV seal and intermittently causing the BOV to stick open. I hope any of this helps i know your frustration and i couldnt get any help at the time!

frankies1390
02-06-2013, 09:35 AM
also inspect your injector cushions (the ones that sits fluch in intake mani) ive seen those go bad and cause a vacuum leak, and/or run rich!

jsu1012
02-06-2013, 09:51 AM
no no it did not blow it up, obviuosly rich is better than lean. But rich does tend to "wash" your cylinder walls and cause a glaze that results in blow by. but mine did the exact same thing i tried ecu's, Maf's, IACV's, injectors- none of em really made it go away? Also i noticed a slight nic in my injector o-rings later on down the road after i replaced the 0-rings the car did not do it for the remainder that i had it, i eventually got rid of that car to fund medical bills. The BOV is good to clean if you have an entry level intercooler kit sometimes stuff flies around in there and YES can get caught in the BOV seal and intermittently causing the BOV to stick open. I hope any of this helps i know your frustration and i couldnt get any help at the time!

also inspect your injector cushions (the ones that sits fluch in intake mani) ive seen those go bad and cause a vacuum leak, and/or run rich!

wow im so glad you posted. i was looking at different mafs and shit. thank you. im going to go clean up the bov and replace that rubber between the flange and bov while im there too. i'll look into the injectors aswell.

Trinidrift3
02-06-2013, 09:57 AM
you could try checking injector o rings

jsu1012
02-06-2013, 10:28 AM
you could try checking injector o rings

wouldn't that make my afr's crazy? and wouldn't i smell gas?

jsu1012
04-16-2013, 09:03 AM
update: bought a tial bov. problem solved, car runs great now. thanks for all the replies.