PDA

View Full Version : lsd question....

260sx
04-02-2004, 09:52 AM
want to know if i have lsd...

i burn out two wheel, but when brake and gas... only one wheel mark...
isnt there any way i can tell if i have lsd or not... i tried lookin for the sticker... can find none....
91 240sx abs... model code rms-13

mellojoe
04-02-2004, 10:26 AM
i burn out two wheel, but when brake and gas... only one wheel mark...
What do you mean "brake and gas"? Do you mean when you are sitting still and hold the brake and then stop on the gas? That's a burnout.

I'm a little confused.

Here's a great way to check. Jack up the rear of the car and turn by hand one wheel. If the othe wheel turns in the same direction, then you DO have an LSD. If the other wheel turns in the opposite direction, then you DONOT have one.

hope that helps

twitchy
04-02-2004, 10:34 AM
Jesus...can a mod come in here and make a sticky....post right on the front page of the site in big huge text a link saying "HOW TO TELL IF YOU HAVE A GODDAMN LSD or not?"

wow this is unreal

dude, look under your car and see if the diff has cooling fins on it

sykikchimp
04-02-2004, 01:37 PM
you have an open diff.

Drift101
04-02-2004, 02:31 PM
You need LSD, PM me, i have a GREAT deal going on.....

Zed
04-02-2004, 05:07 PM
Torsen all the way

DamnedButDetermined
04-02-2004, 08:38 PM
Jesus...can a mod come in here and make a sticky....post right on the front page of the site in big huge text a link saying "HOW TO TELL IF YOU HAVE A GODDAMN LSD or not?"

wow this is unreal

dude, look under your car and see if the diff has cooling fins on it

hahahahaha...not that easy! I have cooling fins on my case, but i have an open diff.

chillout and supply fool proof ideas, such as the turning the wheel trick! :w00t:

zombieman
04-02-2004, 08:43 PM
turning the wheel trick is not full proof either... it will turn opposing direction if the lsd is worn... you want hardcore proof, you will need to take off the diff and look inside....

240Stilo
04-02-2004, 09:15 PM
Well if he turns the wheel and the vlsd is blown then he has no lsd because it's blown. Still good enough way to check.

Danio
04-02-2004, 09:36 PM
Do donuts (or attempt to) and have someone outside see if both wheels are smoking.

SauN
04-02-2004, 10:02 PM
doing donuts will never give you an exact answer on whether or not you really have a vlsd

Jack up your car and take off your rear drivers side wheel. If you have a VLSD, there will be an orange sticker saying so. Also, as someone else has mentioned, you can also jack up the rear end. And if you spin one wheel, the other wheel should spin the opposite direction. If it doesn't, then you have an open differential or your VLSD is worn, which probably isn't it.

zombieman
04-02-2004, 10:50 PM
Well if he turns the wheel and the vlsd is blown then he has no lsd because it's blown. Still good enough way to check.

but he wanted to know if he had lsd, nothing about if the lsd is working or not.

sykikchimp
04-03-2004, 01:13 AM
doing donuts will never give you an exact answer on whether or not you really have a vlsd

Jack up your car and take off your rear drivers side wheel. If you have a VLSD, there will be an orange sticker saying so. Also, as someone else has mentioned, you can also jack up the rear end. And if you spin one wheel, the other wheel should spin the opposite direction. If it doesn't, then you have an open differential or your VLSD is worn, which probably isn't it.

wrong. open differential's spin wheels in the opposite direction if wheels are in the air, and as long as the car is in gear (and not running of course.)

Blues13
04-03-2004, 02:00 AM
Seriously, I just posted this answer a day or two ago... its like deja vu. S E A R C H.

twitchy
04-03-2004, 02:39 AM
cant you tell from the vin number on your car?

How I know:

Both wheels spin in same direction in the air
Winter driving
Cooling fins