PDA

View Full Version : Idle/Heat issue

afix
01-25-2013, 07:36 PM
Hey guys so I have a 180sx with a red top sr20 stock as far as i know except for intake and exhaust. issue im having is it takes forever to warm up, like it will not warm up at all just idling, takes atleast 3+ mins of driving on the hwy depending on the temp outside and the coolant temp goes back down to cold after a few mins if i get off the hwy, and at the current outdoor temps -7 to -20 i have to cruise at atleast 130 km/h to keep any heat. That being said once it is warm and im driving in the city it idles like shit and almost dies (2-300 rpm) then idles around 6-700, and trying to start it when warm requires giving it gas for about 30 sec to a min before it will idle by itself. It starts perfect and idles around 950 when cold.

It does seem to be running pretty rich (just failed emissions because of HC and CO%), not to the point that its puffing black smoke off throttle but i sometimes smell gas idling.

Im thinking it might be the CTS or MAF, but not positive.

Ideas?

rcdad123
01-25-2013, 10:14 PM
replace the coolant temp sensor and the thermostat. thermostat is probably stuck open. dont forget to cut the jiggle valve off the thermostat and drill it out to about 1/8 of an inch to make bleeding the cooling system easier and quicker. make sure the hole on the thermostat is at the top because air bubbles rise.

ShadowMan
01-25-2013, 10:27 PM
With temps that cold, you might want to cover up about half the radiator or so with a panel/cardboard or some barrier to keep the cold air off the radiator. There is another thread like this that just popped up. But go ahead and check the CTS and MAF 1st, get any potential damaging kinks worked out, so you don't damage your motor.