PDA

View Full Version : turbo on high millage engine

Mr. Spool
03-31-2004, 11:50 AM
I am attempting to put in a high millage engine, 100k+ engine, while I rebuild my current engine, If I plan to run low boost, 4.5 psi, What should I do to it to make it hold up for 6 months or so? The engine is hitting at a solid 168 psi and the leak down checked out. after my turbo engine is built I plan on swapping this into a donor 240 and running it for a while. any imput would be apreciated.

aznpoopy
03-31-2004, 11:59 AM
i assume ur talking about a ka24de... it's very doable. red just put in a greddy kit on a 120k+ engine running low boost. there's another kid on ifx who has been driving a boosted ka24de he pulled from a junkyard at 166k!! i also recall reading a thread about someone's boosted ka24de... installed turbo at 110k and it didnt blow until 180k or so. ka is a tank... edit: btw these are on stock internals.

anyway since its out of the car, i would replace seals, reseal oil pan, and maybe get the chain guides out; take a look at the timing chain. check how much play it has, but i bet its okay. clutch, bearing, maybe flywheel? fill it with synthetic and off u go. ka is a much better engine then people give it credit for. i bet you could run higher then 4.5 with no problems for alot longer than 6 months.

Mr. Spool
03-31-2004, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the info, I would hope so. I was running on a 78k mile engine with perfect compression and spun a rod bearing. I will probably replace the timing chain and get the timing reset. along with change out all the gaskets, should I replace the head gasket as well.

Steeles
03-31-2004, 02:58 PM
mileage dosent matter check the compression. if its good boost it. I've seen cars boosted at 180,000, and itd still be boosted if he'd done the oil line right.

Mr. Spool
03-31-2004, 03:14 PM
What did his oil line do to mess it up.

Steeles
03-31-2004, 05:43 PM
What did his oil line do to mess it up.

it broke...