PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning engine bay?

Brolewigi
03-30-2004, 07:21 AM
I just took out the engine of my S13 chasis and the engine bay is quite dirty. Well, Im going to paint the engine bay before the SR goes in. At this point, the engine bay is completly stripped except for the brake booster. The question I have is; is there any tips or products that I could use to get the 13 years of road grime out of the engine bay?

If you guys want to see the car check out this Link! (http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=49395)

SilviaSativa
03-30-2004, 07:43 AM
I got some sort of Castrol cleaner degreaser from wal-mart or something, it's in a large purple bottle. I'm still waiting on an engine hoist, and a day or two off work to pull the motor, and start scrubbing that shiet clean!

nissantuner22
03-30-2004, 07:45 AM
pretty much any type of degreaser will kick its ass. Personnaly, I like to use Simple Green, or anything that says it has oranges in it. Just make sure to scrub it really really good. once its spotless and clean, rinse it off really well to get the residue off. than, i'd repair all the rust spots u see. ( i think i saw some rust visible in the pics ) just make sure to scrub really good!

PSI240SX
03-30-2004, 03:11 PM
Purple Power! Spray the hell out of it and let it soak in, then rent a pressure washer and go for broke. It will be so clean you could eat off of it.

Hybrid240ZXT
03-31-2004, 06:17 AM
Be careful with a pressure washer, you could knock the paint off.

I used an engine degreaser on mine, and It didnt do shit. Total waste of money. I guess I bought the wrong stuff(one dollar for a GIANT bottle...you get what you pay for). You prolly wouldnt want to use it on paint, but if you need to clean off any of the engine parts or what not, carb and parts cleaner will do the job. And that stuff is really cheap. I get it at the dollar store and it's just as good as the expensive stuff.

okc240
03-31-2004, 06:53 AM
that orange blast works very good the purple bottle (castrol) can be a little powerfull it took some of the top layer of paint off my z31

Zemus
03-31-2004, 07:13 AM
At my dads work he has like a steemer or somthing, Im going to have mine cleaned with that, makes it look brand new :-D

BSeay
03-31-2004, 10:06 AM
Purple Power! Spray the hell out of it and let it soak in, then rent a pressure washer and go for broke. It will be so clean you could eat off of it.

:werd:

Purple power is the shit....i used it on my stock wheels when nothing else would get off the brake dust.... and they look like i just bought them and put them on seriously... But you have to buy a spray bottle because i've only seen it in gallon sizes... but well worth the money in my opinion...

Brolewigi
04-02-2004, 05:25 AM
So I cleaned the engine bay while egarly awaiting the new engine. Check out the engine!

http://images5.fotki.com/v67/free/4b50f/2/223888/806141/Picture021-vi.jpg?1080862600

And heres the link to the whole picture slideshow!

LINK Beotches! (http://public.fotki.com/Brolewigi/nissan_240sx/)

radhaz
04-02-2004, 06:55 AM
That looks fantastic! So what did you finally end up doing to get it in that state?

SilviaSativa
04-02-2004, 08:58 AM
Wow, looks great! I need to get off my ass and pull my blown motor!

Brolewigi
04-02-2004, 10:10 AM
That looks fantastic! So what did you finally end up doing to get it in that state?

What do you mean in the state?

Its michigan everything is legal. I could buy a huge tracktor and register it as an off road vehicle, hehe!

Ahh, no emissions.

But we have the shitty weather to deal with.

mrmephistopheles
04-02-2004, 11:39 AM
he means 'that condition'.

not state, as in one of the states in the union.

radhaz
04-02-2004, 02:41 PM
state: A condition of being in a stage or form, as of structure, growth, or development :Ownedd:

Brolewigi
04-02-2004, 06:56 PM
okay okay, I get it now. anyways. I found it at a junkyard about a year and a half ago. It was just setting there, it hasn't been touched since. So i went up there with my friend one day and asked how much they wanted for it. At first they said they wanted like 900.00, I said no way. Then I talked them down to 600. then 500. I picked it up like two weeks later and the car has been setting at a friend of mine's shop for about three months. All of this work has been going on for like a week and a half. Which is quite good since I work like 55hrs a week and go to school full time. Im just excited that the SR should be here in the next week or so. I still have quite a lot of money to save up to get the stuff I want and some more stuff I have to do before the engine gets here.

I am making a 3" stainless steel exhaust from mandral bends to save cost. Im also custom fabing a O2 housing out of Stainless steel sheet metal. I will eventually custom cad/fab an exhaust manifold, because I can cnc all of the flanges and fittings at my work. I also plan on getting ahold of some prototype HID projector assemblies and custom making some headlights for it, because the old ones suck.
I am lucky because I design prototype plasitc automotive parts so everything is readly avalible at my fingertips.
I also want to (before the engine goes in) paint the car. I am having trouble deciding what color I should paint it. Or if i just want to seal the engine bay before then put the engine in.

This is my secondary car, so It can be out of comission whenever. I plan on doing a full build next winter while the car is just setting there. Saving up some money and buying a whole shiznit load of stuff for it. Eventually being a drift/race car/daily driver.

Let me know what you guys think??!?!?!

SilviaSativa
04-03-2004, 12:23 AM
Sounds sweet dood! Must be nice having the equipment needed to complete tasks! I need to find a job at a machine shop, clean-up man or anything to learn the ropes!

Keep us updated!

TheSnail
04-03-2004, 01:14 AM
This is the procedure, no ifs and or buts. Two bottles of Gunk Remover heavy duty, followed by 1 bottle of the foam type Gunk remover. And finaly toping it off with the Orange citrous degreaser. All while being Preasure washed at ever .5 bottle. After that, go over every thing with a bottle of WD40 and hand clean it. Dont forget the tranny well. After 5hrs and 12$ of supplies I got mine to a factory look. You will thank your self afterwards. here is a pic of mine.

SilviaSativa
04-03-2004, 01:45 AM
WOW, looks great! Thanks for the quality pics!

jetbill
04-03-2004, 06:02 PM
looks awesome guys, i give you a ton of credit for all that work!!!

TheSnail
04-03-2004, 07:43 PM
Just finished cleaning an engine about one hour ago. I used two cans of gunk remover. I wish I had more time to clean it but ran out of sunlight. I'll clean it some more tommarow. It looks new though. I cant wait untill I get my sr back, its being sonic cleaned. That thing will litrally be cleaner then a dinner plate. A nice clean motor will run cooler then an oily one, so it's worth the time, and gives it a nice clean look.