PDA

View Full Version : Anybody running a Spoiler on FRP trunk?

highkck
12-31-2012, 11:30 AM
Im looking at picking up a FRP trunk for my S14 to save a little weight. Its a allowed mod for my class and what I want is some feedback on guys running lighter trunks with a spolier installed. What I worry about is the FRP cracking are coming apart around the drill holes of a installed spoiler at 100+ mph when the spoiler is doing its job.

Any input would help. Thanks,

bejota180sx
12-31-2012, 12:33 PM
Im going to assume by spoiler you mean a big wing and not a stock one... so if im wrong im sure most of these won't help much...

one way of avoinding this is making some metal plates to kind of "sandwich" the FRP in the middle and avoid stressing a particular area in the FRP and distributing it across a bigger area.

Also if you are allowed to slit the trunk make the wing stands reach the interior of the car/chassis so it distributes it's weight on the car instead of the FRP trunk.

Frank_Jaeger
12-31-2012, 12:40 PM
Im looking at picking up a FRP trunk for my S14 to save a little weight. Its a allowed mod for my class and what I want is some feedback on guys running lighter trunks with a spolier installed. What I worry about is the FRP cracking are coming apart around the drill holes of a installed spoiler at 100+ mph when the spoiler is doing its job.

Any input would help. Thanks,
Spoilers serve a function?

highkck
12-31-2012, 12:41 PM
I forgot how much our beloved 240 community has changed. I should have stated its the Navan 3 piece Spoiler. I was thinking that as well with the sandwich idea. Thanks for the reply. I have had my nissan since 2001 and have grown out of the big wings, they work in some stuff but I dont have a need for it with 400hp and gearing for AutoX

highkck
12-31-2012, 12:42 PM
Spoilers serve a function?

This is a joke right?