PDA

View Full Version : How have you broke your clutch pedal? Chime in!!!

91white_ka
12-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Basically I just want accelerate a little R&D process. Chime in with anyway you have broke your clutch pedal or clutch pedal assembly.

For instance I personally of severed the spot welds of the assembly frame. Over time with a very stiff rps Clutch The pedal frame ripped apart on me.

Also a more common issue is the clutch pedal tension spring eating the the hook for the pedal itself.

Who else has more trouble spots?

shanelach
12-28-2012, 05:27 PM
Mine snapped at the spot welds the first day I installed my ACT Xtreme setup. In the middle of a major intersection in the city. I was pretty confused when it happened.

But yeah, I drilled out the welds and bolted it together to get it home, then welded the bracket completely later on. Replaced the spring and all the bushings and pins while I had it out.

The spring was eating away at the hook on mine as well. I filled it with a weld then replaced the plastic retainer.

ghoti
12-28-2012, 06:40 PM
I always thought the Nismo reinforced clutch pedal assembly was a joke until I read this thread's title

91white_ka
12-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Yeah I'm selling a couple I have repaired and welded the frames. I think welding the frame is like night and day difference in pedal feel. I just want to see if anyone else out there has found problem areas so I can make the most solid pedals possible for myself and others.

fliprayzin240sx
12-28-2012, 07:49 PM
This shit is common, specially for the clutch kickers.

YA DIG
12-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Thats funny mine snapped at the spot welds yesterday in a intersection

91white_ka
12-28-2012, 08:33 PM
Thats funny mine snapped at the spot welds yesterday in a intersection

Pm me, I have one that won't break.

Oni_kage
12-29-2012, 12:11 AM
I broke my clutch fork somehow, but not my pedal... I had no idea this was an issue!

KendallH
12-29-2012, 12:13 AM
Never happened to me personally but I had a friend who DD'd with a stage 5 unsprung clutch and broke 3 of them.

YA DIG
12-29-2012, 01:11 AM
Pm me, I have one that won't break.

Thx but my buddy is coming over tomorrow to take care of it.

hotlavaflow
12-29-2012, 01:21 AM
I've been rocking a Stage 5 on my daily for a while now you guys have me shook smh. I have a spare clutch pedal, guess I'll weld it up.

91white_ka
12-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Deffinately a good idea. That's one of the tricky parts that can leave you stranded and be hard to find.

genericforumname
01-01-2013, 01:08 AM
any chance of having a better description on where to add the welds? are you literally just rewelding the same joints or adding in new materiel also?

jr_ss
01-01-2013, 11:04 AM
any chance of having a better description on where to add the welds? are you literally just rewelding the same joints or adding in new materiel also?

You're more or less just adding more welds. I'd add a small bead where the pieces come together. Maybe .500" in a few spots. I dont think the bracket was engineered to handle as much stress as the stiffer pressure plates transfer to the pedal. Thank god for stock like pedal feel for multi-plate clutches!

Bambi
01-01-2013, 09:44 PM
This shit is common, specially for the clutch kickers.

shitshitshitshitshitshitshitshitshit:hyper:

codyace
01-01-2013, 10:26 PM
Mine broke a few welds at at track day a few years back, was certainly an interesting thing as I didn't have much other choice other than to keep driving it. It worked, but it was funky!

Took it all out, and added more spot welds. It was night and day different when using it after tat as the assembly wasn't flexing. Nice little mod in regard to a better feeling car.