PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Boost controller issues

ultimateirving
12-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Well guys im here to ask 2 questions.
Read bold section for the questions if you prefer to skip explainations

HKS EVC III boost controller
Can the Boost solenoid become gunked up causing a slow response in opening the wastegate?
Since i decided to up my boost ive been running into an issue with my turbo spiking over 21psi. I have the boost controller hooked up properly. Now when i try to set the EBC to run it around 18psi. It will always spike over 21, hit the overboost limiter and bleed back down to 14psi.
Every once in a while on a wot pull it will hold the boost perfect at 18psi with no spikes and no falling off.
My unit is a very old model and Only thing i can think is that my solenoid is sticking or something causing the wastegate to open later. I have taken apart the solenoid and replaced a few of the o rings, put a little lube in the input barbs... But im still having issues and am pretty tired of it. I tried hooking up my boost solenoid in different locations with no luck.

Does anyone have any experience with Turbosmart Eboost street controller?
I am thinking about ditchng my current unit for this turbosmart unit. Its on amazon for $287 which is pretty cheap for a NIB EBC.
Just wanted some opinions if anyone has used TURBOSmart brand in the past and their experiences

THANKS

romero8287
12-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Well guys im here to ask 2 questions.
Read bold section for the questions if you prefer to skip explainations

HKS EVC III boost controller
Can the Boost solenoid become gunked up causing a slow response in opening the wastegate?
Since i decided to up my boost ive been running into an issue with my turbo spiking over 21psi. I have the boost controller hooked up properly. Now when i try to set the EBC to run it around 18psi. It will always spike over 21, hit the overboost limiter and bleed back down to 14psi.
Every once in a while on a wot pull it will hold the boost perfect at 18psi with no spikes and no falling off.
My unit is a very old model and Only thing i can think is that my solenoid is sticking or something causing the wastegate to open later. I have taken apart the solenoid and replaced a few of the o rings, put a little lube in the input barbs... But im still having issues and am pretty tired of it. I tried hooking up my boost solenoid in different locations with no luck.

Does anyone have any experience with Turbosmart Eboost street controller?
I am thinking about ditchng my current unit for this turbosmart unit. Its on amazon for $287 which is pretty cheap for a NIB EBC.
Just wanted some opinions if anyone has used TURBOSmart brand in the past and their experiences

THANKS

I currently have turbosmart eboost , and it works really good. It was a gift so I can't complain. Never had any problem with it.

ultimateirving
12-26-2012, 08:10 PM
I currently have turbosmart eboost , and it works really good. It was a gift so I can't complain. Never had any problem with it.

Can you tell me if you have used the RPM input to controll boost drop at higher rpm? I want to know how functional it really is.

codyace
12-26-2012, 08:14 PM
I'ved used the Eboost in a few friends cars, but never hooked up the RPM function of it. It's a great boost controller... albeit a little clunky to get used too. Once you sort it all out, it works great.

I personally am a huge fan of the Greddy Profec B Spec I, and Type S. Super simple units, hardly ever an issue, and 'so easy, a caveman could do it' type deal.

romero8287
12-27-2012, 03:28 AM
Can you tell me if you have used the RPM input to controll boost drop at higher rpm? I want to know how functional it really is.

Google turbosmart , on there web you can download the actual info for the turbosmart eboost 40street and it will tell you everything bro. Don't want to sound like asshole, but they can explain it better then me. I know you can set it in 3 different stages so you don't drop boost so rapidly , I'm still learning how to use it my self. PM me and I can send you my setting , I'm currently boosting at 12psi.

ultimateirving
12-28-2012, 04:04 PM
thanks everyone for the replies, ended up purchasing the unit. I plan to hook up the RPM/boost dropoff feature so if anyone is interested in how it goes i can let you know.