PDA

View Full Version : shift fork retaining spring

disry240sx
03-27-2004, 12:24 PM
I was bleeding my clutch when I realized that the shift fork retaining spring was not engaged on the the fulcrum. I have been cussing for about four weeks, because I didn't want to take the tranny off to fix it. Besides, I don't have that kind of time these days.
Any way, I figured out how to engage the retaining spring with the tranny on the engine by taking out the dust cover and using a lever to push it on the shift fork. I haven't tried it on the sr, but it worked perfectly for my KA. The only thing I have to watch is to make sure the TO bearing and carrier stay attached to the shift fork.
I'm going to try this soon and that will leave only the electric fan and thermostat wiring before startup.
I've had the SR since October and it has been mounted since early November. BUt I've only had maybe 20 hours to work on it since then.
chad

Pudula
03-27-2004, 01:07 PM
what are the symptoms of this ?? I think mine is doing that too on my sr...clutch pedal wont pop back up from the floor automatically...

Ryan

disry240sx
03-27-2004, 02:23 PM
When I went to bleed the clutch and slave, the slave would over-extend pushing out the cylinder. Never could get any pedal feel.
If you can easily move the shift fork a few inches, then your retainer spring is not engaged.
I would say your problem has to do with the MC because, this proble will not let you manipulate the cluth at all.
chad gardner

Pudula
03-27-2004, 02:35 PM
when i pulled the stock motor, the clutch and everything was perfect...its something i've done related to the swap and this sounds like the only viable option

Ryan

mykem
04-14-2004, 10:47 AM
maaan, i drove my sr swap for 215 miles, and now i think this is what happened, i thought maybe it was just my slave cylinder that failed, but it looks like the cylinder in the slave overextended and pushed out, then all the fluid leaked out

so its that retaining clip? blaaaaaah, did you end up getting it into place on your SR without moving the tranny? what would cause it to come out of place now, after driving it successfully for a while?

pr240sx
04-14-2004, 11:30 AM
The fork springs are accesible from the outside the tranny.
And your problem is within the slave

mykem
04-14-2004, 11:53 AM
The fork springs are accesible from the outside the tranny.
And your problem is within the slave

it looks like the slave cyl piston came out of that little indentation it fits into, and slid past the fork

so i'm guessing its the retaining spring that came loose to allow it to do that? what did you use to place the spring back in position?

pr240sx
04-16-2004, 11:58 AM
What spring?
If its the slave cylinder piston, just push it in and check the dust boot.

And that is the SHIFTER fork springs not the release (throwout bearing) forrk spring

disry240sx
04-16-2004, 01:07 PM
They're correct. It is the shift fork retaining spring that clips around the pivot. You can fix that without pulling the tranny. I have an additional problem in that the carrier that holds the TO bearing is missing one of the metal "wings" that engages the shift fork and the clips on the carrier. I have to replace that whole assembly, so I have to take off the tranny. I figured this out by sticking a tiny light inside the bell housing and looking as I move the shift fork back and forth.