PDA

View Full Version : Foam Injection

Var
03-26-2004, 07:51 PM
Has anyone tried to inject foam into their framerails? How did it turn out for you? I'd also like to know if there are any negative long term effects of doing this irreversible process. also looking for a shop that will be able to do it for me.

the brand name i have heard of is called FoamSeal

http://www.itwfoamseal.com/auto_aftermarket.htm

there was a thread about this some time ago but nobody had experience with it.

goodjuan
03-26-2004, 08:01 PM
Well other than reading the scc article about it, I don't know of anyone who has done it.

If you haven't read the article:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0006scc_proj300zx/

I plan on doing something like this when I get an actual job.

IIRC SPLparts.com also has foam injection kits...not sure what brand they carry.

Do it!! Then you can tell everyone how it is.

Var
03-26-2004, 08:17 PM
SCC is where i heard about it. SPL isnt selling them yet but i figure they will be a good source for info once they stock and performce the process on customer cars. but i dont wanna drive to texas. i'm tryingto find a shop in norcal that has done it before

Ghettokracker71
03-26-2004, 09:09 PM
We were amazed at how this simple procedure improved the performance of the car. The chassis now almost feels like it has a roll cage. A sloped driveway can be driven up sideways with nary a creak. Even though the Z already has a pretty tight chassis, it feels more solid. The ride has improved and road noise has been reduced noticeably. We bet that the car will be even more responsive to chassis tuning measures in the future. If you are a slalom racer, a road racer, have a lowered car or even just want a smoother ride; foaming is a worthy, easy-to-do modification. Foamseal has foams in densities as high as 10 lbs per square foot if you desire to make things even stiffer.

Hmm.....they usually state the negatives of mods,and I didn't see any?

Var
03-26-2004, 09:13 PM
that's causethey dont have any long term experience. I read on CLUB 4AG that sometime the foam shrinks and sound like plastic banging around in your frame and you can't ever remove it

Ghettokracker71
03-26-2004, 09:21 PM
that's causethey dont have any long term experience. I read on CLUB 4AG that sometime the foam shrinks and sound like plastic banging around in your frame and you can't ever remove it
lol thats when you SELL it on eBay to some drift crazied 16yo! Ask the guys on club 4ag what brands they use,it might only be a brand or two that does that? Just a thought.

thx247
03-26-2004, 09:25 PM
Read the miata forums, people have a positive opinion about foam, but there are some concerns with moisture collecting in the rail and rusting them out. Honestly, living in california I would foam the chassis without a care in the world. I have not seen any specs on how much of a difference it makes in stiffness, only seat dyno impressions - which are positive.

Ghettokracker71
03-26-2004, 09:26 PM
Read the miata forums, people have a positive opinion about foam, but there are some concerns with moisture collecting in the rail and rusting them out. Honestly, living in california I would foam the chassis without a care in the world. I have not seen any specs on how much of a difference it makes in stiffness, only seat dyno impressions - which are positive.
but how long would that take to rust out a frame?? I'd proble be ready to sell my old ass wheezy nissan by then.lol

We need somebody with a junkyard 240 to test this

ryan hagen
03-26-2004, 09:55 PM
this summer whn i m working again i plan on doing it cause my car is ruff, the foam is closed cell so it shouldnt be able to absorp water, and its a polyurethane foam if i remember right...... it hsould be easy enough to do it your self, other wise it would be alot of work and time and $ for a shop to do.

Flybert
03-26-2004, 11:50 PM
How much would the weight of the foam be? That's what I'm concerned about.

goodjuan
03-27-2004, 12:36 AM
How much would the weight of the foam be? That's what I'm concerned about.

IIRC it took about 5 kits to do the framerails on scc's Z32. If you check out each kit, the cans look about the size of an average aerosol can. So you figure it would weigh about the same as 10 aerosol cans. Now even if the cans were filled with something as dense as water (very doubtful) the combined weight wouldn't be that much. Also the weight is placed as low as possible in the car, in the frame rails.

thx247
03-27-2004, 12:40 AM
its not that the foam absorbs water, it allows water to collet where it normally would not.

ryan hagen
03-27-2004, 08:24 AM
i think they said 2lbs for 1 sq foot? but there are several densities that cahnge the weights, if u foam it right watter wont be able to collect any where. if most holes are pluged, im gonna do my rails, and firewall to fender well areas it where i know i need it.

Flybert
03-27-2004, 08:13 PM
Make sure to take pics and show us what's up.

03-27-2004, 08:55 PM
FoamSeal has a density of 2lb/cubic feet. It is not very effective for actual stiffening... 2lcf foam has a flexural strength of just 50PSI. With a car weighing 3000lb, that doesn't seem like its worth much. That is why we were trying to produce a 8lcf and 16lcf foam product, but unfortunately we are a little broke now to afford the R&D :(

i think they said 2lbs for 1 sq foot? but there are several densities that cahnge the weights, if u foam it right watter wont be able to collect any where. if most holes are pluged, im gonna do my rails, and firewall to fender well areas it where i know i need it.

Flybert
03-27-2004, 09:05 PM
Kuah, I just installed the lines, speedbleeders, and HPS pads that I ordered from you this last week. Although it wasn't much, hopefully that money will help go to some R&D of some new stuff. I'll be back with my business again when I can afford the rear toe link and bumpsteer rods. Big two thumbs up for SPLparts.

03-27-2004, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the support :) I have a bunch of product ideas up my sleeve, hopefully I will be able to get more new parts out on the market this year...

Kuah, I just installed the lines, speedbleeders, and HPS pads that I ordered from you this last week. Although it wasn't much, hopefully that money will help go to some R&D of some new stuff. I'll be back with my business again when I can afford the rear toe link and bumpsteer rods. Big two thumbs up for SPLparts.

ryan hagen
03-28-2004, 07:14 PM
i wont be doing my foaming till summer, till i get bling :(
i think foam seal had 2 different foams one more dense??