PDA

View Full Version : ka24de ticking rattling when on the gas

Eazy_tom
12-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Hey guys so my ka has a rattling/ticking noise coming from the head. It only happens when on the throttle.
and it is fairly loud.
Would it be timing chain tensioner, or chain guides?

Thanks in advance guys.

continental
12-18-2012, 06:46 AM
Check the lifters they could be sticky, if that's the case then you can replace them, rebuild the head or wait for it to break..

Frank_Jaeger
12-19-2012, 07:24 AM
That's normal. Most likely your chain flopping around. Make sure you're not low on oil. Don't use "engine restoration" gunk products. If you decide to take off the upper timing guides, make sure you clean the tensioner while you're in there.

GroundPerformance
12-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Check the lifters they could be sticky, if that's the case then you can replace them, rebuild the head or wait for it to break..

This is interesting. How do we go about checking sticky lifters on KA24DE?

That's normal. Most likely your chain flopping around. Make sure you're not low on oil. Don't use "engine restoration" gunk products. If you decide to take off the upper timing guides, make sure you clean the tensioner while you're in there.

I need this trick of cleaning tensioner as well?

Frank_Jaeger
12-19-2012, 03:33 PM
I need this trick of cleaning tensioner as well?
Get a can of WD-40. Spray it into the tensioner, while pushing it in and out. In and out. At first it might be really hard to move or stuck. After a while it should start to become easier. Keep doing it until it moves freely.

StryfeS13
12-19-2012, 10:56 PM

A KA24DE does not have hydraulic lifters.

Get a can of WD-40. Spray it into the tensioner, while pushing it in and out. In and out. At first it might be really hard to move or stuck. After a while it should start to become easier. Keep doing it until it moves freely.

I'm pretty sure ground performance was being sarcastic lol. A loud tick while accelerating isnt normal. And that tensioner should self lubricate itself...

Anyway, are you sure it's coming from your head? It may be an exhaust leak where the header meets the cylinder head, causing a tick..

GroundPerformance
12-20-2012, 12:38 PM
A KA24DE does not have hydraulic lifters.

I'm pretty sure ground performance was being sarcastic lol. A loud tick while accelerating isnt normal. And that tensioner should self lubricate itself...

Anyway, are you sure it's coming from your head? It may be an exhaust leak where the header meets the cylinder head, causing a tick..

BINGO.... :bow:

zerodameaon
12-21-2012, 05:34 PM
The tensioners on these cars either wear down and let the timing chain rattle or they get stuck back and let the chain rattle. The instructions that Frank gave were not some made up bullshit but a well know temporary fix, in fact there are a number of different engines that this solves timing chain rattle on. Reasons I say temporary is because they will get stuck again and its better to just replace it all so your not having to tear into it again after a shorter period of time then new parts.

Eazy_tom
12-21-2012, 05:43 PM
I took out the guides, they were super eaten up.
The tensioner was stuck so I cleaned it out with wd40 so it would move freely.
The thing still rattles, though not as often or as aggressive as before..

Eazy_tom
12-21-2012, 05:46 PM
The tensioners on these cars either wear down and let the timing chain rattle or they get stuck back and let the chain rattle. The instructions that Frank gave were not some made up bullshit but a well know temporary fix, in fact there are a number of different engines that this solves timing chain rattle on. Reasons I say temporary is because they will get stuck again and its better to just replace it all so your not having to tear into it again after a shorter period of time then new parts.
Whoops just noticed this, yeah I figured as much.
I guess its time for a timing chain kit, or at least a new tensioner.

zerodameaon
12-21-2012, 06:47 PM
Check out the kit on FRSport, it only includes the chain tensioners and guides, but if your gears are in good shape it is a really decent kit.

Eazy_tom
12-22-2012, 02:35 AM
Check out the kit on FRSport, it only includes the chain tensioners and guides, but if your gears are in good shape it is a really decent kit.
I was looking for something like this but cant find it.
I didn't see it anywhere on the site.

Frank_Jaeger
12-22-2012, 11:36 AM
I took out the guides, they were super eaten up.
The tensioner was stuck so I cleaned it out with wd40 so it would move freely.
The thing still rattles, though not as often or as aggressive as before..
It's likely hitting on the front cover now instead of the guides. Mine does this, and I don't care because I'm rebuilding an engine to drop in anyway. You might want to do something to actually fix it if you intend on keeping the motor for a while.

Chuki_KA24e
12-22-2012, 11:56 AM
It's likely hitting on the front cover now instead of the guides. Mine does this, and I don't care because I'm rebuilding an engine to drop in anyway. You might want to do something to actually fix it if you intend on keeping the motor for a while.

^This. If you leave it long enough, it will chew a hole through the front cover into the water pump housing turning the inside of your motor into a milkshake machine lol...

Also going to mention, if you tear it down and the guides/tensioners are in one piece in decent condition you might have shitty oil pressure. Clogged pickup, oil pump on its way out etc. Usually though when they start making noise on acceleration it's because large portions of the tensioners are in pieces in the bottom of your oil pan and the tensioners are really doing fuck all.

zerodameaon
12-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Its more expensive then some of the full kits but the quality of it is a bit higher.
OSK 13028-53F02 KA24DE DOHC Timing Chain Kit 1991-1998 Nissan 240SX (http://www.frsport.com/OSK-13028-53F02-KA24DE-DOHC-Timing-Chain-Kit-1991-1998-Nissan-240SX_p_3225.html)