PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused. Losing boost...but not all the time. look, RB26dett

ryandh
12-16-2012, 11:08 PM
So I have a weird issue going on. About a week ago I noticed(as I was pullin' in 3rd against an STi on the freeway) that I wasn't at full boost. Strange. so I slowed down, got into 2nd and proceeded to build up again and got into third, and still only boosting halfway( +/- 7lbs). My R33 is stock, except the boost restrictor has been taken out, so I should be right about 14lbs give or take.

Every day is different. Sometimes she's pullin hard, other days only halfway. I checked all my hoses and clamps, and everything was good.
I noticed I had some oil on my inlet piping by the rear turbo. I have no blue smoke and oil pressure/temp levels are all normal too.

Need some opinions cause I'm a little confused. If I blew the seal on the rear turbo, would I still be at full boost?
http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z390/ryanhuerta1/rb26.jpg
http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z390/ryanhuerta1/20121211_164004.jpg

SuperSlow40
12-16-2012, 11:22 PM
check your plug valleys? had the same problem and i found oil in my plug valleys..

ryandh
12-16-2012, 11:33 PM
check your plug valleys? had the same problem and i found oil in my plug valleys..

???

Elaborate please.

PrimeDirective
12-16-2012, 11:44 PM
Where does that line you took a picture of go? It should be some sort of vacuum line and since its before the turbo I doubt it would be coming from that turbo's possible leaking seal.

Is the recirculation valve getting stuck open? Is there some sort of boost solenoid that is messing up?

ryandh
12-17-2012, 12:36 AM
Let the engine sit and cool for the last couple of hours... Engine oil is right at max when cold.

Could it be possible that there is too much oil, therfore causing oil to flow into the intake duct through the blow by gas recirculation pass?

ryandh
12-17-2012, 12:42 AM
Where does that line you took a picture of go? It should be some sort of vacuum line and since its before the turbo I doubt it would be coming from that turbo's possible leaking seal.

Is the recirculation valve getting stuck open? Is there some sort of boost solenoid that is messing up?

look at the first picture. It connects to the line that leads to the rocker cover then that connects to the blow by hose. It has the aluminum cover on the line

PrimeDirective
12-17-2012, 12:44 AM
Yes. But pushing oil vapor through your turbos intercooler and tb's wouldn't cause you to loose boost unless that oil is gumming up the bov or boost solenoid some how.

ryandh
12-17-2012, 01:00 AM
Yes. But pushing oil vapor through your turbos intercooler and tb's wouldn't cause you to loose boost unless that oil is gumming up the bov or boost solenoid some how.

Just found another thing... Oil in the rear turbo outlet tube and air hose. This should be an easy one but I'm stumped. I'll have to check the recirculation valves tomorrow. shit is pissin' me off lol.

PrimeDirective
12-17-2012, 01:06 AM
Invest in a catch can!

ryandh
12-17-2012, 01:12 AM
Invest in a catch can!

I already have one, just not installed yet. I don't think that is the issue at hand though. That would in no way cause me to lose boost. What confuses me is that there is no blue smoke and all my guages read normal, but the car just won't boost past 6-8lbs and there is oil on the outlet tube on my rear turbo... :confused:

PrimeDirective
12-17-2012, 01:29 AM

If oil is causing your recirc valves to stick open or something putting a catch can between the valve cover and the intake tube will stop oil vapor from getting into the turbo outlet and therefore the rest of the downstream components.

PA7VDA
12-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Spark plug valleys*

ryandh
12-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Spark plug valleys*

No oil....

Sileighty_85
12-17-2012, 05:30 PM
ECU is running in Safe Mode. My R32 did this when i first bought it, found out my IAVC harness was unplugged. it still randomly does this as well due to my IACV is going out. Cuz ill unplug the harness then reconnect and starts boosting .09 bar again.

Check the ECU foe codes when it does this.

The Rear turbo is usually the first to go though. but usually its the exhaust wheel snaping off not blowing the seals.

But if its boosting random then the turbo is not done yet.

ryandh
12-19-2012, 12:20 AM
ECU is running in Safe Mode. My R32 did this when i first bought it, found out my IAVC harness was unplugged. it still randomly does this as well due to my IACV is going out. Cuz ill unplug the harness then reconnect and starts boosting .09 bar again.

Check the ECU foe codes when it does this.

The Rear turbo is usually the first to go though. but usually its the exhaust wheel snaping off not blowing the seals.

But if its boosting random then the turbo is not done yet.

I'll have a shop hook it up to CONSULT and see if thats the issue. It was boosting fine today, kinda. Great for about an hour or so, then back in safe mode (6-8lbs). Doesn't matter too much. I have twin td05 16's on cast top mount manifolds going in after tax time... =)
But for now I don't want to ruin anything else...