PDA

View Full Version : KA24DE not starting?

89hatchman
12-14-2012, 09:43 PM
I bought a 90 S13 parts car that had an S14 Ka24de swapped in. The guy said he's done everything that needs to be done to run it in a SOHC S13, engine harness, modding the dash harness, different ECU, etc.

But it won't start.

The engine cranks, the comp in the cylinders are good, its getting fuel (plugs are wet when I pull them out after a bit), its getting spark, timing is correct.

What could it be? It won't even start when I give it a shot of starter fluid

All that happens is it'll sound like its almost about to catch, a few pops through the exhaust.

cotbu
12-15-2012, 12:11 AM
I start engines all the time with them sitting on a pallet, so instead of just assuming what this GUY said is true. Start with a code check then reverse engineer the work that was supposed to have been done. It could be anything, missing grounds, bad wiring job, timing, bad battery, NO air. The list could go on.

89hatchman
12-15-2012, 04:23 PM
I start engines all the time with them sitting on a pallet, so instead of just assuming what this GUY said is true. Start with a code check then reverse engineer the work that was supposed to have been done. It could be anything, missing grounds, bad wiring job, timing, bad battery, NO air. The list could go on.

if I'm not mistaken, you can't pull CEL's from an S13 that originated as a SOHC then had a DOHC swapped in? Don't you have to cut some of the wires that would be used for diagnostics?

cotbu
12-15-2012, 05:20 PM
That's incorrect! You're pulling codes from the ecu. I think you're talking about the consult port? If so, then yes. To use a laptop with consult programs or OBD code readers then yes the consult port would have to be wired up. I can help you with that! Making you car run or finding out if there are any codes, it's not required.

What year s14 KA24DE?

89hatchman
12-15-2012, 05:35 PM
That's incorrect! You're pulling codes from the ecu. I think you're talking about the consult port? If so, then yes. To use a laptop with consult programs or OBD code readers then yes the consult port would have to be wired up. I can help you with that! Making you car run or finding out if there are any codes, it's not required.

What year s14 KA24DE?

I was told it was a 95. is there a stamp on the block that I could use to confirm?

NotLowEnough
12-16-2012, 03:06 PM
hey man i am having the same problem. and i have no idea what it could be. possibly a vacuum leak, does the engine have to have coolant in it for it to fire up? if not then i am stumped. but i feel your pain man. anyone that could offer any thing to check, double check, or go over again would be very helpful