PDA

View Full Version : All KINDS of weirdness (Hodge Twins voice)

Mr. white
12-12-2012, 01:00 AM
OKay, hey everyone. I tried posting this stuff on a local forum for feed back. but, I haven't gotten because it's either kind of dead or they just don't know.

So, i've recently been having some weird s*** going on with my car that I haven't had happen before. First off, a little bit about my setup: hybrid Sr20det (S14 head on S13 block). S15 turbo, Power FC, BOV on cold side.

I first started noticing that I have this whistle noise when ever my car is entering boost a few months ago. It had a really nasty backfire and I would get no power at around 3000-3500 and below at partial throttle. My piping was pretty s***, so I replaced it with a new piping kit. Whenever I replaced the kit, the car would idle at 1800rpms and wouldn't come down unless you unplugged the IACV and replugged it back up. Even to this day, the car will warm up to about 66 degrees Celsius and then the idle will shoot up to around 1500. But, it will come down after warming up. the piping did not help the loss in power or the whistle, but the backfiring seems to be more under control.

Now, more recently, I drove the car from school to my house (about a three hour drive) let it sit for a few days (before the initial drive up to school, I changed the oil in the car.) when I started it up I noticed a slight ticking noise. It would raise when I pressed the gas, and when the car warmed up, it was gone. If I turn the car off and then back on, the noise will come back for a minute or two and then disappear.

On my way home last Saturday (my apartment at school) it died coming to a stop at an intersection. it wouldn't start back up if cranked it, it would just die again. It randomly started again after 10minutes of sitting at the light and I got it home with no issues.

Yesterday, it was raining and wet. I think I left the hood pin unlocked. So, I closed it and let the car warm up. when I got it to operating temp and tried to drive it, it would stutter really bad around 2000-3000rpm, but it would idle fine and rev in neutral fine. I took it back home and turned it off. Here I am trying to find out what the hell is wrong with my car, because I am stumped to all hell and need to get this thing back to my hometown as break is coming up. Please??

Frank_Jaeger
12-12-2012, 04:42 PM
when I started it up I noticed a slight ticking noise. It would raise when I pressed the gas, and when the car warmed up, it was gone. If I turn the car off and then back on, the noise will come back for a minute or two and then disappear.

Try bleeding your lifters.

EDIT: I would check for codes. I would also test various sensors... MAF... CTS... o2... check the wiring too.

Check for boost / vac leaks. Check ignition / spark plugs and timing. Check injectors... Check everything lol. Or sell your SR to me.

Mr. white
03-29-2013, 06:28 PM
I forgot to mention that I switched out the VTC gear on my car and that could be a cause for the lack in power. The whistle is still there. It raises or lowers depending on how much throttle pressure is given. Ive done a boost leak test and didnt find the whistle.

my boost controller reads -66 to -70 at idle. My bov is atmospheric, also.