PDA

View Full Version : I am getting rear wheel "hop" on turns

Banana Drifter
03-24-2004, 06:45 PM
My 92 fastback is bone stock, so stock that the radio is original and the car has no mods except for my fuzzy dice which add 50hp. But anyway on left hand turns I get wheel hop that sometimes can be horrible and at other times not so bad. On right hand turns, its fine and I have had little to no wheel "hop". I am thinking it may just be that the stock rear sway bar causes this. And it also could be the structural rigidity of the fastback frame which isn't as much as the coupe. I just want to know if this is common or not for this car. Is that why they made HICAS? And also include a remedy to the problem thanks. I don't really know enough about the 240sx suspension characteristics to make a accurate diagnosis of whats going on so please explain.

Yoshi
03-24-2004, 06:51 PM
hmm... more likely your 12 year old bushings are dead/dying...
also time for subframe spacers ;)

Banana Drifter
03-24-2004, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the tip Yoshi I'll probably need to adress that after I get the SR in.

LanceS13
03-24-2004, 11:48 PM
Kinda sounds like a blown shock...maybe rear left.

markeese180sx
03-25-2004, 02:02 AM
you dont really need to spend 2000 on an sr20det swap when u can get a used KA for like 400..maybe its been used, but the sr20det isnt worth the money if if dont need the power...i live in japan so...silvias come with the CA18DET or SR20DET

Red
03-25-2004, 08:13 AM
Have you ever replaced your shocks???

If not its most likely that. I had the same prob when I got my car and the shocks were gone...

mixxamike
03-25-2004, 10:43 AM
I'm in the exact same boat you're in right now. The last autocross I was at, I was hopping around corners more than turning. hehe. Sounds to me like a blown shock. And if it's not blown, a very bad shock. Try this: push down the back end of your car really hard. The car should go down, come back up, and then go right back to ride height. If you're car doesn't do that, i.e. bounces, you've got bad shocks.

-Mike

psychedelicbeats
03-25-2004, 01:30 PM
it doesn't hurt to take apart your shock assembly. when you take it apart, you should reload the shocks by pushing it all the way down and letting it go up repeatedly for about 5 to 10 times or until you're satisfied (that is, if it goes up. if not, replace your shocks). many people don't do this and their ride don't feel as responsive as they thought it would. so this little suggestion of mine should help if your shocks are still good

nightwalker
03-25-2004, 02:52 PM
dead shock, bud. Time to change them

Banana Drifter
03-25-2004, 05:56 PM
Can't I rebuild the shocks for now? I really don't want to dump the money onto shocks right at this moment. They do make rebuild kits don't they, oh how I love cars. Well If I have to replace them I was going for coil overs, Tein HE's to be exact but then the budget comes into play and then I have to worry about the stock wheels and tires rubbing against shit. I really didn't want to mess with suspension but from what it sounds like I have no choice.

Silverbullet
03-25-2004, 06:39 PM
leave em if u want. I'm in the same situation right now. One of my rear shocks are blown. I just try to avoid uneven road surfaces and hard turning. I'll prolly be getting KYB AGXs soon.

FastBack 240
03-25-2004, 07:18 PM
Yea last year I had horrible wheel hop and it was the cause of bad struts in the rear. Easy fix and make a world of diffrence with the new rather then stock shot suspension.

LanceS13
03-26-2004, 09:15 AM
Blown shocks are dangerous. If you don't want to spend much money at least go to AutoZone or somewhere and get a couple cheap rear shocks.

96twofourty
03-26-2004, 02:29 PM
Blown shocks are dangerous. If you don't want to spend much money at least go to AutoZone or somewhere and get a couple cheap rear shocks.
their not dangerous...I've been driving around for over a year now. Its just a bouncy ride

Banana Drifter
03-26-2004, 02:57 PM
Thanks again for the advice I'll take it all into consideration.

LanceS13
03-26-2004, 04:37 PM
And your tires bouncing uncontrollably is SAFE?!?

If they're bad enough, the tire will actually leave the ground. Hope you don't have to do any evasive maneuvers on bumpy pavement.

psychedelicbeats
03-27-2004, 06:56 PM
it's all in the mind

holisticbeatz
03-27-2004, 08:22 PM
You need a triple deck aluminum spoiler.. that'll help the rear end of your car stay planted.. plus it also looks cool.

Punisher
03-28-2004, 12:05 AM
hahahaha.....i agree with holisticbeatz, btw i also have this problem....guess i gots to go visit the local ricer shop and get my hands on a nice ractive triple decker.