PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Sr20det white smoke from exhaust, not overheating, oil looks fine...?

DRIFTER-M
11-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Solved! Thanks!

DRIFTER-M
11-24-2012, 06:00 PM

blksylv
11-24-2012, 06:04 PM
does the oil smell like gas, same thing happenend to me when an injector got stuck open

801nismo104
11-24-2012, 06:12 PM
perform a compresion test.

DRIFTER-M
11-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Will check oil smell when I get home, will do compression check as well. Thanks guys!

cotbu
11-24-2012, 11:44 PM
Damn, car f'ed up cellphone f'ed up! Love life must be super duper!
Also sounds like PS pump is going or needs fluid. I don't know where your are, but it looks pretty normal for cold start up during cold seasons. your description could be paranoia but why bother mentioning the previous owner at all? You had the car for a few months and just found out that the coolant was low after your temp gauge reaches the H mark for the second time. That's a current owner fail.

Anyway It looks like you have a turbo xs bov or a knockoff of one, which isn't hooked up even half right, I had their original design that looks similar to that and if it is, it appears to be hooked up really wrong. And again you can't blame the previous owner for this. Start taking responsibility for this cluster fuck. PS your temp probe is sticking out kinda far not the most effective way of installing it either. I'll stop there it's getting vicious... So what kind of track driving you do?

DRIFTER-M
11-25-2012, 12:28 AM
No, picked up the car a few months back for a good deal, but just getting around to working on it due to some personal issues.

I realized it was the coolant the 2nd time, because it was the day after I got it, I didn't get home thr initial night until 3 am, so honestly I was tired and went to bed. I don't drive it much at all.

I am setting it up as basically a missle, just a toss around car.

I realize it is my responsibility from here on out, also mentioned the faulty bov. Previous owner had someone else do the work which he admitted didn't do a great job.

Checked coolant tonight, no mixing of oil. Oil does smell somewhat like gas.

Thanks for the help so far everybody!

Edit: Will run compression check tomorrow.

Mikester
11-25-2012, 02:52 AM
Also you can check to see if your PCV valve os stuck open. Could deff cause white smoke...

I had a similar issue in my 180 back in the day... Blow-by. Car ran fine, but would smoke like cheech & chong till it warmed up, then be normal... I installed a catch can between the PCV & intake mani & it didn't smoke anymore... This was obviously a band-aid that took care of a symptom, not the problem... but I knew I would be dismantling it for shipment/rebuild shortly after so I didn't care; I just wanted it to not smoke=)

GL!

DRIFTER-M
11-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Also you can check to see if your PCV valve os stuck open. Could deff cause white smoke...

I had a similar issue in my 180 back in the day... Blow-by. Car ran fine, but would smoke like cheech & chong till it warmed up, then be normal... I installed a catch can between the PCV & intake mani & it didn't smoke anymore... This was obviously a band-aid that took care of a symptom, not the problem... but I knew I would be dismantling it for shipment/rebuild shortly after so I didn't care; I just wanted it to not smoke=)

GL!

Thanks for the suggestion man, def something else to look in to.

I have a compression check on hold at sears, going to go buy it and run it tonight hopefully.

I will update when done, sorry it has taken a few days - the only place close to me wanted $50 for one, and... yeah, that wasn't flying when I can get them for $20 at sears.