PDA

View Full Version : lt1 motor in 89 240sx

240monsterbuild
11-24-2012, 12:32 PM
im building a 240sx and plan on dropping in a lt1 350 into the car from my 94 trans am. im looking for someone who has done this before and wondering what type of problems am i going to run into and parts list. i know i need motor mounts tranny mounts. oil pan wire harness conversion driveshaft.... now i went on mckinney motorsports and looked at mounts and oilpans. is there anywhere else i can find these specific parts or does someone have any of these things lieing arounbd for a project they never got to do. please im trying to find parts and correct part lists but im getting from my one forum to use g10 motor mounts and a nova oil pan.. is this possible?

jr_ss
11-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Why an LT1? Those motors are garbage...

ForeignMuscle
11-25-2012, 12:15 PM
I agree with the motor being junk lol but I'm guessing you are working with what you got and I can respect that but I can't say truthfully that I see you accomplishing this swap. You will have to be the pioneer because even if it has been done it has only been a handful of people. But good luck!!

240monsterbuild
11-25-2012, 12:42 PM
everyone has somethig to say about the lt1 blocks. id rather have cast iron istead of weak aluminum blocks. and im boring the block out stronger the better. no blowups

240monsterbuild
11-25-2012, 12:44 PM
plus why add a dumb ass comment if you dont have any info

jr_ss
11-25-2012, 01:05 PM
I understand why you want to stay with an iron block for boosting, but you can pick up an LQ9 6.0L for fairly cheap and that has more power out of the box than an LT1. Not to mention there is a "mount kit" readily available for that motor setup.

I'm not trying to deter you from build something, just think monetarily wise I don't see the benefits. I just see it as a cost prohibitive swap when there are better options available that's all.

Like Foreign said, you're going to be fabbing and making custom items for that motor to drop in. They just aren't a wise choice if your looking for good power. The heads do not flow well and they aren't nearly as robust as an LSx series motor. I'm not saying you can't make them churn some power out, but I see more money being spent getting power out of an old motor that the new ones already make in stock form.

Good luck with your build though, make a write up and jigs, perhaps there are some people out there that would be willing to pay for swap parts.

ForeignMuscle
11-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Put on your flame suit bud. We answered your question. I was truthful with you. Now you want to be an ass. Did you want us to tell you how awesome the underpowered, titanic weight, never used v8 would be in your car and that we were going to offer you a chocolate chip cookie free of charge?

Aluminum blocks weak??

LSx inferior to LTx??

Are you a retard??

The GM manufactured LT1 has it's first short comings due to the ignition system known as OptiSpark. It is complete junk. Ask me how I know..

The iron block can hold more horsepower, theoretically. IF YOU'RE PUSHING UNDER 1000WHP IT DOESN'T MATTER!! There are plenty of 1000+whp LSx engines on FACTORY ALUMINUM BLOCKS. How do I know?? Ohhh just the fact that Hinson Supercars is right down the road and Lane Culver is across the yard and at the local drag strip every weekend. (builds LSx drag cars all day, every day and owns/operates a 1300whp LSx powered RX7)

The LT1 heads.. Need I even talk about the horrible flowing junk heads??

Weight.. do you even realize that were talking about a 500+lbs. engine in a S13 chassis??

I told you I respected your plan if you were working with what you had. I was truthful when I said it most likely would never happen. One hundred kids a day come on Zilvia getting butt hurt because someone is honest with them and makes them realize this shit isn't as easy as modifying a car in your Forza garage. Or the fact that we don't praise your every move with a swap that is inefficient and most certainly a waste of hard work and trial and error, not to mention money.

Do yourself a favor and sell your LT engine and save for a proper engine swap. Now come back with questions if you want to seriously go through with this. I would have no problem helping you. I think you will soon realize that you have better options out there. Good luck.

240monsterbuild
11-25-2012, 02:20 PM
i was looking for a parts list or any problems that people came across not looking for dumb comments about my build either help out or keep your comments to yourself

K3MPS
11-25-2012, 02:29 PM
One problem you'll run into with that motor is that you'll be wishing you got an LSx

240monsterbuild
11-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Its either your going to help with my build or not. If not dont reply on it cause I don't want you opinion.

DJZ
11-25-2012, 03:58 PM
I was thinking about doing an lt1 swap a while back. Dont listen to these dumb asses lt1 is a pretty good choice, lots of power potential, durable and the swap really isnt to complex. I actually came across two or three build threads when i googled it. You might try googling it. As far as the swap goes its very similar of a swap to the lsx and 5.0 swaps.. So many morons on zilvia bashing other peoples ideas and have no clue what they are talking about. dont listen to these fools

DJZ
11-25-2012, 04:00 PM
Oh ya and its a cheaper swap than an sr and you can spin the tires in every gear :)

240monsterbuild
11-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Finally someone who can actually help. I know its agood build plus a worked lt1 motor helps along with my tranny setup. Thanks man

ForeignMuscle
11-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Dumbasses huh? I have plenty of experience with GM v8's. I tried helping you but your obviously a pissy little child.

Spin tires in every gear huh? Funny..

Have fun finding help with your attitude towards experience from those who know more than "google search it bruh"

Let us know how it goes.

ForeignMuscle
11-25-2012, 04:23 PM
Btw, sr swaps are around 1500 done right.

A t56 is around that price alone, DJZ.

DJZ
11-25-2012, 04:38 PM
Btw, sr swaps are around 1500 done right.

A t56 is around that price alone, DJZ.

lol you can pick up a wrecked firebird or camaro way cheaper than that

jr_ss
11-25-2012, 05:09 PM
I was thinking about doing an lt1 swap a while back. Dont listen to these dumb asses lt1 is a pretty good choice, lots of power potential, durable and the swap really isnt to complex. I actually came across two or three build threads when i googled it. You might try googling it. As far as the swap goes its very similar of a swap to the lsx and 5.0 swaps.. So many morons on zilvia bashing other peoples ideas and have no clue what they are talking about. dont listen to these fools

Yep, we have no clue what we are talking about. We should just sit back and learn from you and your vast knowledge of "its similar to other LSx and 5.0 swaps".

Oh ya and its a cheaper swap than an sr and you can spin the tires in every gear :)

Spin tires in every gear with a measley 250whp eh? Riight... Idiot

ForeignMuscle
11-25-2012, 05:51 PM
lol you can pick up a wrecked firebird or camaro way cheaper than that

Please show me one ad with a t56 equipped ride for less than $1500.

If this LT powerplant is so superior then please, feel free to post your time.

My 5000lb TBSS, with it's weak aluminum block, lays down 8.90's all day long, bone stock.

Jr ss and myself tried showing some constructive criticism and offered to help, but the childish attitudes in this thread deserve no help.

Good luck with your build.

Frank_Jaeger
11-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Spin tires in every gear with a measley 250whp eh? Riight... Idiot
They could be bald tires in the rain.

OP if you don't intend on doing anything major (i.e. forced induction), stick with your LT1. If you want to use the engine as a starting platform for more power, get something with a little more potential. Otherwise you'll be happy. If you were happy with it in your trans am, you'll be even happier with it in your 240.

DJZ
11-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Please show me one ad with a t56 equipped ride for less than $1500.

If this LT powerplant is so superior then please, feel free to post your time.

My 5000lb TBSS, with it's weak aluminum block, lays down 8.90's all day long, bone stock.

Jr ss and myself tried showing some constructive criticism and offered to help, but the childish attitudes in this thread deserve no help.

Good luck with your build.

Here are just a few examples. yes some are slightly more than 1500 but you said the trans alone was 1500. and yes two are autos but they are less than 1500. when I was going to do an lt1 swap I found a wrecked camaro with a 400hp fully built lt1 with 6spd for 800 because it got rear ended. If he looks hard enough om sure he can find one cheap. heres your proof now gtfo:mephfawk:

95 Z28 Camaro (http://yubasutter.craigslist.org/cto/3351524153.html)

1997 Camaro Z28, Tow away, Engine All Apart, LT1 Mechanic Only (http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/3387258074.html)

1995 Pontiac Firebird...LT1....Needs Work (http://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/3349200357.html)

1997 chevy camaro $900.00 needs work.. Mechanic special ;) espanol& engli (http://yubasutter.craigslist.org/cto/3424304681.html)

DJZ
11-25-2012, 06:12 PM
Yep, we have no clue what we are talking about. We should just sit back and learn from you and your vast knowledge of "its similar to other LSx and 5.0 swaps".

the fitment/ cooling/ wiring/ mounting is very similar

roboticnissan
11-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Hmm who would i take advice from, a 19yr old from norcal? Or an unknown age most likely redneck from alabama hahaha no offense. I choose the thrillbilly all day

ForeignMuscle
11-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Here are just a few examples. yes some are slightly more than 1500 but you said the trans alone was 1500. and yes two are autos but they are less than 1500. when I was going to do an lt1 swap I found a wrecked camaro with a 400hp fully built lt1 with 6spd for 800 because it got rear ended. If he looks hard enough om sure he can find one cheap. heres your proof now gtfo:mephfawk:

95 Z28 Camaro (http://yubasutter.craigslist.org/cto/3351524153.html)

1997 Camaro Z28, Tow away, Engine All Apart, LT1 Mechanic Only (http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/3387258074.html)

1995 Pontiac Firebird...LT1....Needs Work (http://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/3349200357.html)

1997 chevy camaro $900.00 needs work.. Mechanic special ;) espanol& engli (http://yubasutter.craigslist.org/cto/3424304681.html)

Not one single vehicle you listed was equipped with a t56 for under $2000...

Auto... well over said price... and the last one... is a 5 speed 3.8 liter.

"motor all apart" "mechanic only" "mechanics special" "needs work"....
I'm sure that the one with a t56 had no grinds and was exceptionally well kept. Oh, what a deal..

Keep proving your incompetence while the true enthusiasts build competitive vehicles that fanboys like you dream about.

Help was offered by members who have a clue and instead of accepting, you would rather be butt hurt by the criticism.. Bravo.

Also, you said wiring was similar?? Show me ONE wiring harness that is readily available for this swap?? You really do not understand what goes into building a car with a swapped powerplant.

ForeignMuscle
11-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Hmm who would i take advice from, a 19yr old from norcal? Or an unknown age most likely redneck from alabama hahaha no offense. I choose the thrillbilly all day

Lol, no offense taken, Robot. I guess I would consider myself a thrillbilly. I also hold a 4.0gpa at Alabama Aviation where I study Aviation Technology by day and I'm a automotive manufacturing welder by night. On the weekend I work on my race car and raise hell on anything that runs on fuel. If that's redneck then I'm proud of it :)

1slicktwo4oh
11-25-2012, 07:10 PM
I guess ill chime in....i had a 89 Pontiac GTA L98 5.7 TPI t-top w/ posi....wooped turbo nissan's, vtec honda's,acuras all the time..and. weighed in at 4800lbs+..i was pushing 350hp 450tq w/ intake,accel 60lb inj.,adj.fuel pressure reg.,holley headers and 4" dual xhaust, flowmaster muff.,no cat..loads of fun....wrecked the car a while back keep the motor and i always wanted to put it in my 240 but fabrication killed my dream, so i stuck w/ a SR....don't let anyone faze you bro, its your taste you do what you like..first place you should look is ACCELL,SPEEDOMOTIVE, TPISPECIALTIES,EDELBROCK....accell sells stand-alone ecus for L98/LT1-5 platforms,

Oh for got to ad it was a AUTO:
700R4 w/ manu-matic valvebody w/ hurst dual gate shifter

jr_ss
11-25-2012, 07:19 PM
I guess ill chime in....i had a 89 Pontiac GTA L98 5.7 TPI t-top w/ posi....wooped turbo nissan's, vtec honda's,acuras all the time..and. weighed in at 4800lbs+..i was pushing 350hp 450tq w/ intake,accel 60lb inj.,adj.fuel pressure reg.,holley headers and 4" dual xhaust, flowmaster muff.,no cat..loads of fun....wrecked the car a while back keep the motor and i always wanted to put it in my 240 but fabrication killed my dream, so i stuck w/ a SR....don't let anyone faze you bro, its your taste you do what you like..first place you should look is ACCELL,SPEEDOMOTIVE, TPISPECIALTIES,EDELBROCK....accell sells stand-alone ecus for L98/LT1-5 platforms,

Oh for got to ad it was a AUTO:
700R4 w/ manu-matic valvebody w/ hurst dual gate shifter

I don't believe that car weighed 4800+lbs...

ForeignMuscle
11-25-2012, 07:21 PM
weighed in at 4800lbs+

I'm guessing that's a typo?? They weigh 3900lbs wet..

ForeignMuscle
11-25-2012, 07:23 PM
Oh and one other thing, your car did not come close to 350whp with factory cam and heads..

And we all know how hard "wooping" a vtec Honda can be...

It's not that I am trying to talk smack about the LT. It just does not make sense to go that route when LS engines are selling dirt cheap and are making tons of reliable power. The LT just doesn't have a purpose anymore other than using it because you have it. Spending more money on it would be plain stupid. I'm sorry but that's the cold hard truth.

1slicktwo4oh
11-25-2012, 08:41 PM
The car was heavy, had to push it a couple of times...it was up there more than 4k lbs. speed density, EDELBROCK intake runners and manifold, and aftermarket chip... stock cams and head. its possible...still got the motor,and back in the day that was the big buzzz was my vtec can beat your v8, my b18c can rev to 8k+, my turbo spools, domestic suck yada, yada...now everyone wants to put an americanV8 in to imports..and not here to have a back and forth sword fight on i know more than you, I'm a mechanic, i know all this and that...Im just trying to give the OP support for his plans

On another note I've owned 2 T/A's, Luxury sport MC w/ edelbrocked 350 w th350 trans, Euro cutlass w/ 335 stroker 350trans, & el camino w/ typhoon 4.3L turbo v6....
"I also consider my self knowledgeable in the fuction of the combustion engine, my good man.

240sxracerb25
11-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Considering bolt on LS1s make around 350 rwhp im gonna go ahead and say your light bolt on TPI motor did not.

codyace
11-26-2012, 11:05 PM
A L98 making 350 whp with stock heads and cam......LOL. It wouldn't even make 350 flywheel HP with those mods.

PS: Your car, full of fluid, with you in it, would still be under 4000 lbs. I can promise you.

I've heard it all now....nah, not really......As if I had a dollar for ever sub 300 whp 'edelbrock' HCI package 350 I've had on the dyno, I'd be a rich man. Heck I could say that about most of the cars (over 400 cars total now) I've dynoed...that is, that most people over estimate the heck out of their cars, or have these odd old dreams about '4 and a 1/4 horse 400's' and blame the dyno being off when it spits out 235whp.

O/P: If you want a cheap v8, find a LM7 5.3 from a junkyard, and use that as a base. Heck even a 5.3 with a Carb setup and a dinky small cam would make 300whp to the tire, and be driveable as all get out. Then again, with that same 5.3, you could run a big boy cam, and a megasquirt setup, LS6 heads/intake and make 350/375 whp, without ANY worry.

Also, why worry about heavy ass cast iron? Plenty of junkyard fresh alumimum LS motors making 550-650whp without issue.....

Anywho, don't mean to piss anyone off with their old dreams and disillusioned memories. I tease my dad about the same thing with the cars he grew up with. He used to not understand or believe, but once you show an 'old dog' how the new stuff runs, they immediately warm up and remember how slow old junk is.

codyace
11-26-2012, 11:09 PM
And we all know how hard "wooping" a vtec Honda can be...

Heck a 2v GT can even smoke a stockish vtec honda LOL!

It's not that I am trying to talk smack about the LT. It just does not make sense to go that route when LS engines are selling dirt cheap and are making tons of reliable power. The LT just doesn't have a purpose anymore other than using it because you have it. Spending more money on it would be plain stupid. I'm sorry but that's the cold hard truth.

800% agree.

Heck, I'd take a good running LSX over anything at this rate for a street based car. Cheap, reliable, lightweight, and common!