PDA

View Full Version : Need help on SR transmission noise. Maybe Pilot bushing?

BNASTYs13
11-21-2012, 01:48 PM
My friend deployed to afhanistan or where ever they have them now for 6 or so odd months. When he came back his car started to make a noise. It only occurs when going into to 1st or reverse. It also only happens when you first move the car from a cold start. The sr has an ACT 6 puck that was replaced not too long ago. The clutch pedal feels weird to me though. Kind of sloppy. The pedal travels about halfway before you feel resistance from the clutch when you dissengage it. Then the Clutch grabs hard almost instantly as soon as you start to let off. Do you think it may just be from that? I think the clutch line needs to be bled and the pedal needs to be adjusted.

the noise it makes is a whining noise. It never makes it in neutral. It never makes it when the clutch is pressed in (disengaged). Its only when you first start the car and go into either 1st or reverse. Sometimes I willl back it down the driveway fine and then when i put it in first it will make the noise but go away once it shift into 2nd and it will be fine for the rest of the drive. Someone thought maybe the clutch just needed to be warmed up but idk about all that. I have had HKS twin plates that never did this. I am leaning towards probably a pilot bushing.

chime in zilvians. Before i pull this tranny out to replace something i dont need to haha..

thanks!

- Brad.

10psigti
11-21-2012, 03:54 PM
Sounds like the pilot bearing but it might be slave cylinder I would bleed the line to see if that changes anything if not going to have to drop the trans to find out

BNASTYs13
11-21-2012, 10:17 PM
Yeh im thinking that too

fliprayzin240sx
11-22-2012, 07:10 AM
I'd do the basic stuff first, change the oil to some AMSOIL MT oil, bleed the clutch line and make sure the damper loop is gone.

BNASTYs13
11-23-2012, 09:25 AM
Yeh i have a ss clutch line that goes from the master to the slave. Im going to install that on there. Out of town now but ill be busy on it next week.

codyace
11-26-2012, 10:28 PM
K.I.S.S.

Set clutch rod length to amlost most, adjust pedal enagment height, bleed system.

Then you know the hydraulics and engagement are correct.

From there, the rest are internally related issues. IF the issue only happens once in a while, and from a cold start, and only when the pedal is in, I'd place bets on the Throw out bearing first, with a second possible thing being an input shaft bearing in the trans itself (not as common, but it does happen).

While not correct, Id' almost ignore it for now, and or keep an 'ear/eye' on it. It's somewhat common on cars with older TOB's.

Driftpretty
11-26-2012, 10:31 PM
i had this problem, sold the car before i got to look into it tho.

BNASTYs13
11-27-2012, 08:41 AM
The clutch is a spec stg 3 and the clutch slave is a pos from autozone. I think it needs a better clutch slave.

codyace
11-27-2012, 08:40 PM
The clutch is a spec stg 3 and the clutch slave is a pos from autozone. I think it needs a better clutch slave.

With that considered, I'd see how the system works maybe by pumping the clutch once or twice before gear engagment. If the sound goes away, it may just be a slave cylinder loosing a smidge of pressure, and not pushing the TOB all the way in on first engagement.

I'd still place bets on a TOB making the noise, but much like above, if it goes away...I'd live with it.

BNASTYs13
11-27-2012, 09:35 PM
I dont think its the tob. If it was the tob it should make noise when the clutch pedal is pushed in right? This problem occures when the clutch pedal is out and the clutch is engaged. Correct me if im wrong.

codyace
11-27-2012, 10:53 PM
I dont think its the tob. If it was the tob it should make noise when the clutch pedal is pushed in right? This problem occures when the clutch pedal is out and the clutch is engaged. Correct me if im wrong.

Ahh I misunderstood what you were asking.

If that's the case, it may be that main input shaft bearing I mentioned, amongst other things. I've actually had two boxes have the main shaft crap out (well, one crap out, and one spin in the case)...random sounds at first start up...until heat got into the bearing I'd suppose.

BNASTYs13
12-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Well i threw a nabco clutch slave on there and adjusted the clutch pedal and no more noises.