PDA

View Full Version : Asymmetrical Tires and Camber

derass
11-21-2012, 12:29 PM
what do you guys think about the use of asymmetrical tires on cars with excessive camber? (>1*) RE-11, RT-615K etc. are these constructed in such a way that they hold up to negative camber well?

my car has -3* and i have had 2 sets of star specs over the last 2 seasons and it allows me to flip them when they become camber worn. i would like to try falkens because they are 1/3 cheaper but will they be worn out that much faster? seems like my dunlops last only 1 season anyways, even after flipping them. (10+ track days)

Leo-kun
11-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Asymmetrical tires are not meant to flipped. Theyre designed to offer all season capabilities on the full contact patch of the tire. If you have excessive camber on the car then the tires wont perform the way theyre designed and lose traction.

Should be obvious since those tires say either "inside" or "outside" on one side of the side wall.

derass
11-21-2012, 12:53 PM
the re11 and rt615k are EXP class summer tires, what all season? and i would not be flipping them, just asking how they hold up to neg camber.

TheRealSy90
11-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Toe wears tires.

fliprayzin240sx
11-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Doesnt matter if they're symetrical or asymetrical, UTG rating is what I'd look at if you're worried about the tires not lasting as long. Well that and your toe.

codyace
11-26-2012, 10:37 PM
I'm a bit perplexed by this post. I can understand wanting to save money, but I dont' see how anyone can be upset at 10 track day son a set of street/dual purpose tires...that's darn good if you ask me. My NT05's get about that much, and I think it's great for a tire I can drive around and to work with at the same time...

I wouldnt' see the RE-11 or 615's having any issue with camber at all. In fact on a performance car, you need that camber to actually utilize the entire tire, under hard cornering...if you take away camber you end up going positive, thus loosing performance AND tire grip (not to mention totally throwing off the geometry...)

LayNLow
11-27-2012, 07:43 AM
What kind of track events are you doing? I had rt615s up front for a whole year of drifting and daily driving with -3* camber, 0 toe and they wore just fine. A little more wear on the inside because I was dailying it a lot, but they did me just fine. As others have said toe kills tires quicker if you run much of it.

oni jake
11-27-2012, 12:54 PM
my car has -3* and i have had 2 sets of star specs over the last 2 seasons and it allows me to flip them when they become camber worn. i would like to try falkens because they are 1/3 cheaper but will they be worn out that much faster? seems like my dunlops last only 1 season anyways, even after flipping them. (10+ track days)

I also run Star Specs. 235/40/r17 with -4.0* of camber on the front. After 2 track days I will flip them. I also only get about a season's worth out of them. It's the price you have to pay to drive with the grip of god.

Last I checked, Falkens were about the same price per tire. From what I've seen, Kenda Kaisers have the least wear out of any tire I've ever tried. They are also FD legal if that means anything to you. Downside is you're replacing grip with better wear.

Stick with the Dunlops, just flip them after every event to ensure even wear. 1 set on the fronts < 20 sets on the rear for a season. I think its an excellent trade off