PDA

View Full Version : Big probs w/ SR, please help

COstyle
03-19-2004, 10:30 PM
Ive searched all over and found some of these problems discussed but no real answers. Heres what my SR is doing; Very low idle which stalls out, detonation/misfiring, low vac, lawn mower sounding exhaust, violent shaking of motor, very little power.

Once it started doing this I found cracks in my exhaust manifold (dunno how long they were there). I took the turbo and manifold off and welded it up, reinstalled with no change. I changed the plugs and checked impedance on the coilpacks. Coilpacks all show .8 and ECU reads 55.

Had service dept. at my work install a clutch and flywheel for me just before this happened. Car began acting up after an hour or so of driving since the install. I think they cracked the manifold by jacking up the engine to pull the tranny. But that obviously isn't all thats going on. Any ideas... ? This sucks... :bash:

COstyle
03-19-2004, 10:34 PM
...forgot to add I think its flooding itself. The sparkplugs on cylinders 2 and 3 were black as hell and after letting it idle for a while and shutting it off it wont start again from flooding. Im leaning towards, fpr, injector, or ecu problem? Possibly timing? I have no idea... please help.

DuffMan
03-19-2004, 11:08 PM
Sounds like my car's problem. I'm stumped as well. Except for my car was sitting for a year, and the gas might have gone bad.

COstyle
03-20-2004, 12:26 AM
Ok what will keep a cylinder from firing? And do cylinders 1 and 4 have something in common (coil wiring,etc)? Neither 1 or 4 are firing. I checked and swapped the coil packs, its not them. I took all harness out for the coilpacks and soldered on a better ground and inspected the harness. Im pretty positiive they are getting fuel because i can smell fuel. Maybe too much fuel I dont know :rant2:

kazuo
03-21-2004, 02:32 AM
I just went for a test drive in a car w/ redtop SR20 that had 87-octane CA gas that had been sitting in it for a year and a half... it runs fine. I wasnt mashing it hard enough to start boosting, just normal driving around a residential block.

Its not the gas.

Many things to check... check o2 sensor, check MAFS, check air intake, etc etc etc

You running atmospheric BOV? If so that ain't helpin.

I know I may be WAY off base with these guesses, but you never know honestly. Check it all :P

Good luck

Muzzy
03-21-2004, 09:08 AM
well...i know my coil packs read about 1.4
when i had a bad one it was readin .6
maybe yours are goin bad?

jtt220
03-21-2004, 12:33 PM
Hmm...check the MAF, clean it out with carb cleaner and make sure the signal and power wires are not crossed or shorting. Just a thought...
-

COstyle
03-21-2004, 03:38 PM
Finally found it. While inspecting wires on my ecu i bumped the ignitor chip and it changed the idle. I tightened the connection on the harness an just like that it runs great. Sucks that something so simple can cause so many problems. Thanks for your help guys... :bigok: