PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter?

HKrpS13
03-19-2004, 09:26 AM
what is a fuel filter and is this something you should change often?
recently my cars been running very poor on milage and a friend of mine told me that it could be because of old fuel filter. I have no idea so help me out.
Also is this something you woud do your self?

Yoshi
03-19-2004, 09:44 AM
what is a fuel filter and is this something you should change often?
recently my cars been running very poor on milage and a friend of mine told me that it could be because of old fuel filter. I have no idea so help me out.
Also is this something you woud do your self?

people argue a lot over the frequency of replacement, personally, I only drive my 240 maybe 3k mi a year, but I still try to change my fuel filter every year. Use one for a z32, they're cheaper than the 240 filter and fit right on, it may take some elbow grease to get it into the clamp tho (it's the cylindrical looking thing on your passenger side strut tower with a fuel line going in both the top and bottom). From the sound of it, you're filter may have never been replaced since you've had the car? It's a cheap part, you should probably do it anyways.

nissantuner22
03-19-2004, 09:46 AM
fuel filter is a filter thats on your gas line that helps take out all the impurities that may be in gasoline and help to filter it before it gets to your engine where it could possibly cause harm. particles of crap in engine= bad.

if the filter is clogged up, the amount of fuel that should normally pass through it and into your engine is inadequate. whats that translate into? sluggish performance, crappy milage.

is it a do it yourself? depends. if you can change spark plugs and wires, you can do the fuel filter. all you have to do is relieve the fuel pressure, disconnect the clamps on the filter, remove, install new one, tighten clamps, and your done.

sykikchimp
03-19-2004, 01:29 PM
Also could be a bad o2 sensor. When these go bad it causes sluggishness and crappy gas mileage.

s0ldats
03-19-2004, 02:05 PM
are there any benefits of the z32 filter... besides its bigger size?

sykikchimp
03-19-2004, 02:32 PM
it's typically cheaper than the 240sx filter...

nissantuner22
03-19-2004, 10:33 PM
not really, its cheaper.

a clean fuel filter,regardless of size (within reason of course) will have almost immeasureable gains/losses.

HKrpS13
03-21-2004, 01:02 AM
if I take it off is it possible to tell if it's clogged or not?

nissantuner22
03-21-2004, 07:45 AM
yes. blow through it. if you can blow through it, its not clogged. if your straining and get red in the face and pass out, than its clogged. (make sure you blow in it the right way) looking at the fuel filter still in the car, your going to blow in the bottom.

Natty
03-21-2004, 03:56 PM
Is the fuel filter the same on NA and Turbo motors.

HKrpS13
03-21-2004, 04:34 PM
Thanks for your help. I hope will give me more gas milage. If it doesn't then it must be the way I drive.