PDA

View Full Version : RE: Type-X front bumper installation

2kwik2c
11-08-2012, 06:52 AM
Please pardon this stupid, noob question. I could have search for it in this forum, but didn't do so for it'll take some time before I find it. So I resorted to this short cut.

I want to know if I will need all these other pieces i.e. front reinforcement, absorber, upper bracket, upper retainers, and side stiffners to complete the swap to JDM type-X.

My current car is a 1992 240SX hatch Chuuki model. I already have the front bumper skin, extension brackets, side extensions, position lights, and turn signal lights.

Any replys are greatly appreciated and thank you for your kind help.

Mikester
11-08-2012, 07:51 AM
FYI I found it in 10sec: http://zilvia.net/f/chat/260639-kouki-180sx-aero-thread.html . It has any/all info you need to mount your bumper.

I respect your honesty, however these guys will tear you up for not trying a few searches first.

ecliptic240
11-08-2012, 09:17 AM
You don't NEED them, however they will support the bumper properly and make it fit how it should so that you'll be less likely to have a saggy granny bumper.

2kwik2c
11-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Thanks for help Mikester. I apologize for not trying out the search option first. Trying to take the easy way. Some forums search box aren't too reliable, so I thought it would be that same for here. Good to know.

Also thanks ecliptic240 for your input. I will go ahead and order the rest of the other pieces. I'd like to have the fitment spot on.

**A little about myself***: I'm a Corolla perosn that picked up a 240 back in 06. I'm usually around the Club4ag forums. I have the 240SX for 6 years now and I have been neglecting it lately as I'm busy with work and I have my AE86 that I tinker with. Now that I'm don'e with my AE86, I'm putting my attention to my 240 and make her into a full fledge RPS13 Type-X.

For the next few months I will be using the forum to gather info and utilize every bit of data to make this project easy. I hope that afterwards I should have accomplished my project.

Thanks

Edwin562
11-08-2012, 03:38 PM
You don't NEED them, however they will support the bumper properly and make it fit how it should so that you'll be less likely to have a saggy granny bumper.
In order for the bumper to sit properly, you will NEED everything.

KOUKIboy
11-08-2012, 04:43 PM
If you don't want your bumper to sag like there's no freakin tomorrow, then yes you will need all of that stuff....Welcome to Zilvia!!!!

zooopreme
11-08-2012, 05:40 PM
If you don't want your bumper to sag like there's no freakin tomorrow, then yes you will need all of that stuff....Welcome to Zilvia!!!!

^Somebody who doesn't know what the hell they are talking about and is just posting by hear say.

Anyway, for a while, I didn't have any support and it was a couple mm off. Unless you don't have the bumper bolted on, then it will sag "like no freaking tomorrow." You don't need the bumper reinforcement and all of the safety/fitment equipment but if you want absolutely want no impact absorption, then go for it.

niscur29
11-08-2012, 06:17 PM
^Somebody who doesn't know what the hell they are talking about and is just posting by hear say.

Anyway, for a while, I didn't have any support and it was a couple mm off. Unless you don't have the bumper bolted on, then it will sag "like no freaking tomorrow." You don't need the bumper reinforcement and all of the safety/fitment equipment but if you want absolutely want no impact absorption, then go for it.

+1....All you need "NEW" for sag free is the upper support that bolts to the radiator support and the two side brackets that hold on the side extensions and bolt to the fenders. You can get by with the chuki brackets around the headlights as the fit just fine. I ran mine with the above for a while and while I couldn't sit on the bumper in a gangster JDM tyte pose because I had no reinforcement/foam, the bumper never sagged and looked 100% correct.

That being said I did make the investment in getting the correct kouki brackets for the headlights and used the kouki foam on the chuki bumper reinforcement with the angles removed and its doesn't fit any differnt than before except that it wont buckle from being hit head on or leaned against.

But yes everyone who is stating you 100% need ALL the kouki brackets to mount it without sagging is speaking without ever having both sets of brackets in front of them, or jumping on the internets always right bandwagon. All you need are the specific kouki 3 brackets I mentioned above with the chuki headlight brackets and it wont sag. And if you want crash protection remove the chuki reinforcement angled pieces and use the kouki foam as it fits and the chuki reinforcement is made to US standards and offers better "protection" then the JDM version.

2kwik2c
11-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Wow! Responses here are very positive and very informative. Thank you all for the replies. This forum rocks with great members. Thanks for making me feel right at home. Once I've gained enough experience with the 240 I too will help out any new members with questions and concerns pertaining to this awesome 90s compact sport car. Thanks again guys!!! All these info and help is very much appreciated.