PDA

View Full Version : manual Boost Cont? HKS Turbo Actuator? & dyno

drifta
03-17-2004, 10:59 PM
Im not asking for a list of all manual boost controllers. Im just looking for feedback, pros and cons. Has anybody heard any bad things about the cheap manual boost controllers. Like hallman, joe p, turbo xs, and then all the knockoff ones on ebay. ive never used a manual so i have no experience with them.

second question, i have a s14 turbo. it boost to 15 then drops to 12, it wont hold. so i guess i need a new wastegate. besides phase2, where can i get a HKS Turbo Actuator(wastegate) for the stock s14 turbo. ive done searches but they always bring up the external ones. is this just a garret actuator with HKS marked on it or is it an actual hks part. i just want to know will it be cheaper if i get a garret one if they even make it. or do they sell just the stiffer spring for the stock wastegate. thanks for the help in advance.

oh just for sh#ts and giggles i dynoed my car tonight at 15psi dropping to 12psi it was 289whp and 298tq(this is base maps with power fc). we were going to tune my power fc but since it wouldnt hold at 18 (hell it wouldnt even hit 18)we didnt even start tunning it.

riot
03-18-2004, 11:02 AM
Where are you getting your wastegate signal from? I have the same problem with mine where I'll boost 10psi, but it will bleed off. I'm thinking I need to weld a nipple onto my hot pipe and get the boost signal for the wastegate from there. Right now I am using the nipple on the bottom of the throttle body and I think pressure drop in the intercooler is causing issues.

Hopefully making the line shorter will work better.

-ryan

drifta
03-18-2004, 11:18 AM
Where are you getting your wastegate signal from? I have the same problem with mine where I'll boost 10psi, but it will bleed off. I'm thinking I need to weld a nipple onto my hot pipe and get the boost signal for the wastegate from there. Right now I am using the nipple on the bottom of the throttle body and I think pressure drop in the intercooler is causing issues.

Hopefully making the line shorter will work better.

-ryan

yeah im using it from the hotpipe, so im just gonna get a new actuator.