PDA

View Full Version : RB25 Coil melted?

skazat
11-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Anyone have any idea as to why my #4 coil would have melted yesterday?

I was at a drift event and the car had been running good all day, no over heating issues. My last run I went particularly hard and went off kinda rough but didnt hurt anything and after i noticed the car running a little 'off' so i pulled over to investigate and noticed smoke coming from under the coil pack cover and there was #4 melted.

What could cause this issue? Do coils just go bad? Is there a way to test coils or my wiring to make sure nothing is grounding out for some reason? Any other ideas?

Biggamehit
11-04-2012, 12:05 PM
nothing you did wrong man... things just break down over time from heat etc... just check all your wires and terminals to make sure everything is good to go.

zerodameaon
11-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Check all your wiring and see if there are any burned/rubbed through spots, if it is S1 these will most likely be after the igniter.

Do you have access to to more coils because if you cant find anything wrong just on visual you can always replace it and if it does it again you have some other issues that might need a professional. Q45s have four coils that will work on the S1 RB25 when you swap over the spark plug boot.